• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SOG and lack of "Disney" theming?

For lots of good info on the SOG resort see some of the post from the "SOG questions" thread. Just search for it in the resorts board.

My stay there this year was top notch fun. :thumbsup2

We've stayed at SOG twice, once for a week in 2000 and once for 10 days in 2001. It was before the refurbishment/expansion, so I know some things have changed.

We found it to be a wonderful, wonderful stay. It is a lovely resort, with a very calm, peaceful atmosphere. We actually liked escaping the "Disney" theming when we returned to the hotel from the parks; it felt like an oasis amidst the hubbub.

The transportation is different from the Disney resorts, but still very functional. As an alternative, you can use the Disney transportation options from the Poly. It's a quick, enjoyable walk from SOG to the Poly.

My dh is no longer military, but if we had a chance, we'd definitely stay there again! I think you will be very happy there; it's a great benefit for military families, who deserve all the perks they can get.

We LOVED SOG - one additional perk not mentioned that the mods dont have is the balconies! Also the huge room has the sofa/tables area that is large and room service is great. (another thing that mods do not have)

I cant wait to stay there again - and I do think it is very comparable to a deluxe. IMHO

We also found the buses to be great and on schedule (you do need to know the schedule, which they will give you)

We did a split between SOG and Boardwalk in June 2006. I prefer Sog's transportation hands down. You knew exactly when the buses would show up and they were always right on the nose. To each his own.

We stayed at SOG last October and LOVED it! The renovations have made it absolutely beautiful! The rooms are huge and the baths are private. I didn't like the draw-curtain in the vanity area of POFQ. We have also stayed at the Poly and would say SOG's rooms are nicer! The only complaint would be the pool. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles like the disney resort pools. My girls love the waterslide at the poly and POFQ.

We are going back to SOG this December and can't wait! :yay:

The SOG is by far the best value for the money. Military families (at least the one's that I know, I am USN 20 years active) appreciate a good bargain when they have one. NO TAX and room sizes comparable to deluxes can not be beat. I have used SOG three times and will always use it again and again when it is available. In addition, when they are full they offer you alternates are a reduced rate. The have a PX that offers tax free items and again the price is better than what you pay in the park. :moped: The person that complained about the size and transportation should look elsewhere and I assure you there is many others in line that will appreciate the SOG with their families. pirate:

Disney Davo said:
Only visited the Deluxes for lunch and occasional walk around just to see what they offered. I have stayed at other DOD/GOV resorts the Dragon Hill Korea and the Halekos Hawaii and I think those ones are nicer then the SOG. All the Disneys are themed and we like that.....

I assume you mean the Hale Koa on Waikiki. Been there and it is great, but the rooms don't compare to SOG. Restaurants are far better however, and the location can't be beat, but that's not a fair comparison.

IMHO, SOG is one of the best places to stay in all WDW. Have stayed at CR, Poly, AKL, and WL to mention a few and we keep coming back to SOG.

I disagree with OP on several points, most notably the transportation. The transportation at SOG beats all the other resorts we've stayed at. To the TTC for EPCOT & MK is great and dedicated buses to other parks is great. As for theming, I don't find that important, but again IMHO I believe the Value Resorts beat everyone on that. SOG also has the Evergreen, which is one of my favorite sports bars anyplace.

The rooms are huge and the service is great. I love it there and highly recommend it to anyone! One point I can't dispute is a comparison to the Moderates. Haven't stayed in one for years, so can't make a comparison.

Just wish the Shades had the free DDP. That would be perfect!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

ntsammy5 said:

Just wish the Shades had the free DDP. That would be perfect!

:dance3: :dance3: :dance3:

Shoot, I'd be willing to pay for it - even if it isn't free, I'd just be thrilled to have the option!

There are no Disney Decorations (no hidden Mickey's, themed bedding, wallpaper, etc...) except for the Mickey Head pool (since this resort used to be the Disney Inn when owned by Disney).

We stayed at SOG two years ago, and this was the one thing that worried me about the resort. I thought my girls would be disappointed with the lack of Disney Decor. However I found that I was dead wrong! The resort is so nice that it doesn't really matter! Plus, you are in the parks all day, and I found it rather nice to come back to something not so themed. The staff was nice, the rooms are HUGE, and it has it's own buses! Can't beat that. You'll enjoy it and won't miss that 'Disney feel' at all :)

Our family of 4 did a split stay at SOG and AKL in July of 2005. We got amazingly great overflow rates to stay at the AKL. In the end, my DH and I decided we would actually choose SOG over AKL if the decision came again. The rooms at SOG were huge, way bigger than our rooms at AKL. We found the pool and staff to be great. We never had any problems with transportation. On the occasions that we chose to go to the Poly to take the Monorail, SOG staff would drive us to the edge of the property in a cart. We did not try any of the restaurants at the SOG and the free dining was the deciding factor on us staying at the POFQ this year. I would personally recommend the SOG to anyone.

I absolutely love SOG. I can't compare it to other resorts from experience, but having stayed at SOG last July and returning next month, I'll tell you what I love about it.

I love being around other military families young and old. The resort is beautiful, has 2 pools, a jacuzzi, and a golf course. The rooms are humongus and beautiful. There were busses at least every 15 minutes to take you where you needed to go, and we really enjoyed the free rides. I can't think of a better place to stay and especially at the rates they offer... WOW. The only reason I'd ever stay at another resort is just to experience it, but in general, I'm a lifer with SOG.

It's a lovely resort - feels like a Hyatt or Hilton. Rooms are well appointed and huge. Bathroom set up is great.

However, it's absolutely sterile when compared to the other Disney Deluxe resorts such as Animal Kingdom Lodge, YC/BC, WL, Poly, GF. There is no real theme carried out, the merchandise in the store is "off brand" and not officially licensed (at least it was in Oct 2004 when I last stayed there), there are no "Diseny touches" anywhere but the pool area - it's just a plain but very nice resort that happens to be in a fabulous location. The transportation is efficient but just okay. Loved the parking garage so the car was always shielded from the sun, though.

It was nice, it just wasn't grand and we felt cheated from a Disney resort experience. We'll always pay more to feel like we're at Disney.

I am thrilled this resort exists, though - I love to see military families have an option such as this and I'm very appreciative of the resort and what has been done with it.

My mom, aunt & I just got back from staying a SOG. We loved it. The price is right, the buses were always on time, buffet breakfast was good and the rooms are large. I like how it has lodge feel to it. I think it is a good choice. :thumbsup2

I loved SOG and didn't feel cheated at all :goodvibes . We were surrounded by the mouse at the parks, didn't need him to come back to the hotel with us.
The rooms were huge, altho their were only 3 of us. Clean and well-appointed, with a nice view off the balcony. We didn't have a car the whole time there, since it is much nicer not to have to trudge back and forth through parking lots. Bus service, except for one instance, was on time.
We didn't try the pools - in the park from opening to closing, we never had time, but they looked nice.
And there was a big Mickey statue in the lobby. I took a picture of DS next to it ::MickeyMo :earsboy: .
It was big, quiet and had a great little store with a little bit of everything. Discount tickets and decent restaurants. Small frig in every room. Queen size beds. All the CS people we dealt with were very friendly (I don't think they are Disney?) We will stay there for as long as we are eligible :) .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter