Soft Sided Cooler?

WDW Princess 71

DIS Veteran
Are these still allowed or banned altogether now? This is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Ascot-...8083&sr=8-6&keywords=soft+sided+cooler+wheels

In the past I have wheeled it on empty with a couple bottles of liquor in it, and then in the room asked the steward to keep it filled with ice through the cruise. I cruise this weekend--I wanted to see if I can still use this as my carryon bag for liquor or if I have to use some other kind of luggage instead? If that is the case is it still allowed to have the cooler in your room and request to keep it filled with ice?

Coolers are not allowed.

They take your cooler away if you try to take it with you and you can pick it up after the cruise.

Hand luggage size of suitcase is allowed.

I believe the current policy is no coolers. Unfortunately, there were too many instances of coolers leaking and causing carpet damage.

Thanks for clarifying, I'll have to definitely carry the bottles on in something else. If I pack the cooler (since it folds up) inside of my luggage, and they see it in the room, they will take it away? Even if I store it in the bathroom where it wouldnt cause any carpet damage? If so that is a shame, the little ice bucket they give will barely make due for just me on this solo trip but my family won't be too happy next time we cruise since we go through a lot more ice than the small bucket holds. Do people bring their own larger ice buckets or how else do you make sure you have a good amount in your room without having to bother the steward constantly for more?

Thanks for clarifying, I'll have to definitely carry the bottles on in something else. If I pack the cooler (since it folds up) inside of my luggage, and they see it in the room, they will take it away? Even if I store it in the bathroom where it wouldnt cause any carpet damage? If so that is a shame, the little ice bucket they give will barely make due for just me on this solo trip but my family won't be too happy next time we cruise since we go through a lot more ice than the small bucket holds. Do people bring their own larger ice buckets or how else do you make sure you have a good amount in your room without having to bother the steward constantly for more?

On the Dream & Fantasy, the rooms have real refrigerators. On the Wonder & Magic they are cooling boxes. We've done 6 cruises on the classic ships (3 Magic, 3 Wonder). 4 of those cruises the "cooling box" was sufficiently cold to keep drinks cold. The other 2 cruises, we asked the room host for ice in the ice bucket which we then kept in the cooling box. We changed out the ice bucket once a day. It worked great for keeping the drinks cold.

It turned out that the room host had 2 buckets he kept rotating through our room, we always had ice (both for keeping the cooling box cold, and for using in our drinks). Just ask your host to keep an eye on the ice bucket and keep it full. They are in your room 2 or 3 times a day, so that's part of the service (if you want it).
:cutie:

this cooler was awesome. Soft sided, leak proof, folds flat for boarding and storage, holds a ton of cans/bottles, and fits inside the ottoman of the new ships. The perfect DC companion. At CC, we walked it off and on the ship with no problem. Only $24.00

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-48-Can-Soft-Chest/19897425

just pack your bottles in a carry on, then switch them in the cooler at the room. We tipped the attendant $20 in advance to keep it full of ice on our cruise. works great

Coolers are NOT allowed onboard.
The confiscate them and that is because they aren't allowed.
They brought damage to the ship.

Bringing your cooler in your suitcase onboard is bending the rules...
Will they stop you from doing this or will they take them away from you out of your stateroom; i don't think so...
But asking your stateroom host to provide you with ice for your cooler that you took onboard bending the rules is asking your stateroom host to do something that isn't allowed anymore.

If you still do it that's a decision you make for yourself....

Sorry, but you are incorrect. We sailed on the 10/18/12 Dream cruise and.....

brought the folded cooler on board in our luggage,
set up the cooler in the ottoman in the stateroom
tipped the attendant to keep ice in it at all times
joked with the attendant about how much ice we needed
walked out of the ship to CC with the cooler filled with ice/beverages
walked the cooler back in the ship at days end filled with ice/empty containers
never had a CM questions us, told us we couldn't do it or put us in the brig
we have been doing this since 1997 and have cruise with DCL 13 times

We purchased dcl coolers when we were on our cruise on the fantasy.

Yes, you can purchase coolers onboard. You cannot bring them onboard.

From the DCL site:
QuestionWhat food or food storage containers are not permitted?
AnswerFood coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

This has been the DCL policy for a number of years. Recently (I think around October) they started enforcing it. In fact the thread reporting this was started by someone on the same cruise as yours:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3011296&highlight=rolling+coolers

If coolers are found when boarding, they will be confiscated. If they are hidden in luggage, they most likely will make it onboard.

The room hosts are not going to confiscate the coolers that make it onboard, it's not their job. However, any damages done by said coolers will be charged to the guest causing the damage.

The word was DCL decided to start enforcing the "no coolers" policy due to the moisture damage (leaking as well as simple condensation) in the rooms, as well as the BYOB parties that were occuring poolside and at CC.

But what about the mini coolers that they sell??? I mean they're great for excursions, but they can leak, etc. Did they stop selling those? We always bring ours with us to carry water off the ship to the beach.:confused3

But what about the mini coolers that they sell??? I mean they're great for excursions, but they can leak, etc. Did they stop selling those? We always bring ours with us to carry water off the ship to the beach.:confused3

It's my guess that any damages done by a leaking DCL cooler purchased while on the cruise would not be charged to the guest, if they can show it was purchased onboard with receipt for purchase.

We did too... soft sided cooler, full of ice and a few bottles of water. Came in handy after a hot day. I really like it and will bring it back rather than buy another one next time. So great they sold these before getting off the ship on a port day!

the little refrigerator on the Dream kept our drinks really cold. I did purchase a rolling cooler that I will be keeping at home unless the rules change.

Just pointing out the ones for sale on the vessels are 6 pack size, not a case + size.

We love ours as well. They are great to go ashore with.:thumbsup2

AKK

I believe the rule change (or strict enforcement) began in October this past year so you may have sailed just prior to that. What has been allowed "since 1997" on 13 cruises is not pertinent when the rule changed in late 2012.

The coolers sold onboard are 6-pack size, not large and therefore they may not feel it would cause a problem. However, just because something is sold onboard does not necessarily mean it was intended to be used onboard. Think of all the different "souveniers" that can be purchased, most are clearly not expected to be used onboard -- framed artwork can be purchased onboard but DCL doesn't expect you to decorate your stateroom with them on the walls. I suspect that if/when the small coolers start to cause a similar problem as those now banned from bringing onboard, then DCL will either stop selling them or include a warning not to use them in staterooms. With the fridges on the new ships and the cooling boxes on the classic ships, I don't know why a small 6-pack size cooler is necessary to be used in a stateroom anyway. It's appropriate to follow the rules, regardless of where you can purchase an item.

DCL is very lenient with their complimentary sodas and allowing guests to bring their own beverages on board. Unlike other cruise lines that do not allow this.

I would hate to see these policies change because of the "no cooler" policy being broken by too many guests.

IMHO the ice bucket(s) with continual refills, as well as a fridge/cold box in every stateroom should be enough for families to utilize for their beverages they bring on board. If not, we may see other changes come down the road.. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter