Soft Pretzel Dough Recipe?

mtblujeans

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have a soft pretzel dough recipe? Some pointers in making them would be helpful, too!

I haven't made this recipe, but here goes....

Soft Pretzels
from Epcot's Biergarten Restaurant

Yield: 10 servings.

1 pkg active dry yeast
1½ c warm water (105 F-115 F)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
4 c all-purpose flour
2 eggs
2 Tbl water
Coarse salt
Prepared mustard (optional)

1. Stir and dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir in salt, sugar, and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

2. Cut dough into 3-ounce pieces and roll into a ball. Allow to rest for about 10 minutes. Roll out dough into strings and then twist dough pieces in the middle. Pick up dough string with two hands, each hand holding one end. Attach the ends to the dough in a pretzel shape. Place pretzel on baking sheet and allow to proof until pretzel string thickness is about double as thick (place in a warm spot with a damp towel on top).

3. Whisk the eggs with water. Brush egg wash on top of pretzels after they proof. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Put on to baking sheets and bake at 400 F for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown. Dip in prepared mustard if desired.

Here's another one. I made this years ago (like 25 - 30) and I can't remember if I came up with any "tips" that helped. Sorry - it was too long ago. :(

Philadelphia Soft Pretzels
1 pkg active dry yeast
1¼ c warm water
2 tsp salt
4 – 5 c flour
butter or oil
4 tsp baking soda
coarse salt

Dissolve yeast thoroughly in ¼ cup water. Stir in additional water. Mix 4 cups of flour & salt in large bowl. Add dissolved yeast. Add additional flour to make a stiff dough. Knead 10 minutes or until smooth & elastic.

Roll dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat top. Cover with a towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (about 1½ hours.)

Pinch off a small ball of dough & roll between your hands to form a coil 20 inches long & ¼ to 3/8 inch in diameter. Shape the coil into a pretzel, pinching ends to shape a pretzel. Shape remaining dough into coils, then pretzels.

Dissolve baking soda in 4 cups water & bring to a boil. Drop pretzels, one at a time, into the boiling water & let boil one minute or until pretzel floats. Remove & drain. Place drained pretzels on buttered baking sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt.

Bake at 475 for about 12 min or until golden brown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter