Sodas on board - "free"?

Melrosgirl

DVC Member - BCV
Are sodas/cokes, etc. on board "free" or do they charge us for each refill, etc.? I know each cruiseline is different when it comes to this subject.

Sodas that are served with meals in Sit Down Restaurants are Free! You may have all the refills that you want. ANY other time that you drink soda you must pay for it (and it is served in very small glasses) or you can buy the $35 Mugs. We got the "free" refillable mugs from AAA and if we had had to buy them we would have only bought 1 for the whole family. We could get drinks at meals and we brought some cans on board to take on excursions with us.
Hope this helps

Yep, all dining room sit down meals include soda. You have to figure out how much soda your family really intends on drinking to make the $35 mug worthwhile for everyone in your party.

For our family of 5 we only bought 2 mugs. Between the soda we brough onboard and the delicious ice water at the Drink Station on Deck 9, two mugs were plenty. We shared alot!!!

MJ

To try to compare costs, how much are sodas were I to buy them for cash? What I am going for is the breakeven point between the mugs and pay as you go. We are on the 7 day Eastern.

Thanks...

Paul

Its $5/day for the refillable mug. So youd have to drink 3 sodas per day (besides those at meals) to make the mug worth it. Not sure if we are getting 1 or 2. DH definately wants his own and I cant see why he cant share with DS. We will bring our Wilderness Lodge mug and they can share getting refills with the DCL mug.

Sodas are $1.50 + 15%, right? There's no way we would have had 3 sodas each a day. We were too busy! Normally we drink water, coffee & iced tea, all of which are free. Iced coffee with whole milk was really good too!

I don't know about the Magic, but the wonder also had free lemonaide on deck 9. I usually did half & half with iced tea. :)

Gee, maybe that's why they charge $35 per mug (a high price IMHO), they have to compensate for those who cheat by sharing mugs and not buying one for each person who wants soda!:mad:

Sorry - but this would be to make the 3 sodas per day total to make the mug worthwhile - i honestly cant see either one of the boys drinking their own 3

My husband and I are serious Diet Coke drinkers and we plan to get the mugs. Yes, we will drink three cokes a day and no we don't plan to share. Frankly, I would feel very guilty if I tried to somehow "double" our refills on our mugs.

Why doesn't disney just up the price of the cruise 10 bucks p/p and let everybody drink all day for free(soda's, that is). I like disney as much as anybody but soda's should be free.period... And you wouldn't have to carry around a mug all day besides.. Cheers, Gary

Originally posted by garyss7
Why doesn't disney just up the price of the cruise 10 bucks p/p and let everybody drink all day for free(soda's, that is). I like disney as much as anybody but soda's should be free.period... And you wouldn't have to carry around a mug all day besides.. Cheers, Gary

I agree!!!
beerchug.gif

I don't feel I am cheating by sharing mugs. I would not buy 5 mugs for my family because we would all not drink soda at the same time. Whoever felt having a soda would take the mug and get it filled.

I have always said Disney should just up the cruise price a bit and have unlimited soda. It would makes things so much easier and people would feel that they truly were not getting nickled and dimed after spending so much on the cruise.

MJ

And you wouldn't have to carry around a mug all day besides..
maybe Gary figured out Disney's thinking here. If you buy a mug, the kids will be careful to hang on to it for the duration. If most kids are like the ones that hang out with my ds at my house (and I assume most kids are) there would be half full cups of soda all over the ship. My ds and friends open a can of pop or bottle of water, set it down, and apparently immediately forget where they put it and have to go open another. It is probably our biggest battle around here (life is good, isn't it, that that's my biggest problem). In all fairness, I think occasionally they don't know whose is who's so rather than drink someone else's they get another. In any case, by not making soda a "free" for all, I would assume that eliminates a huge amount of waste (and mess).

:( Although for our family this whole discussion is a moot point since we are all Pepsi people. All Disney properties being Pepsi-Free zones, we're already trying to figure out how many cans of Diet Pepsi and Code Red will be required to see us through the week

TeamMom011,

No - they are Pepsi Free Zones, so they'll confiscate any Pepsi at boarding - only Coke allowed. ;)

I am looking forward to getting my Cruise mug as is DH. We have long been concerned with the waste generated by all the soda cups at the parks so a refillable mug reduces the landfill issues in the US and the possibility of adding to the open burning allowed in the islands. The mugs will be our main souvenirs and we will use them DAILY for our coffee and soda at home as reminders of our third trip on the Disney MAGIC!!

Jan :earsgirl:

I agree, I do like the idea of no adding to the landfills by using the refillable mug but I doubt that is why Disney is doing it, they can always use reusable glass.

Although it's not a major issue to me, I do agree that sodas should be included in the price of the cruise. If for no other reason than convenience. I am not looking forward to keeping a constant eye on the mugs for fear my kids might lose them or running back to the room when you didn't bring the mug along.

I know that it could be added to the price of the cruise and the argument is that many don't drink sodas so it would be unfair. I can't eat shellfish (lobster, shrimp, etc.) and none of my family eats it so what would be the most expensive foods we pay for essentially but don't share in. I think that is the way it goes for everything we all pay the same whether we use or eat what is available. I think the cost, if they added it to a cruise, would be so minimal that none of us would notice it anyway. If you think about it the cost to DCL for soda (soda syrup, water) compared to all the other foods that they let you eat all you can of is small.

Just my opinion.

One of our friends is a Boy Scout leader and he routinely takes his own mug on campouts and day hikes. He has a rope thing he made to attach it to a belt loop. He says it is a "monkey's paw" and a loop--which means it is a fancy knot.

Unless you are "into" knotting or macrame, that would be hard. But it is not necessary--a caribeaner (?sp :rolleyes:?)--the spring loaded hook-like thing people use these days for key rings or an old fashioned shower curtain hook would work just as well and could attach the empty mug to a belt or belt loop.

I had forgotten about that until the last post so plan to pack a caribeaner (?sp) for our next cruise. Thanks for reminding me.

Jan :earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter