Soda, Pop or Coke? Or something else?

Sorry--I would drive you bonkers then. I disagree with you though--it IS an accent and not just a mispronounciation. The south has many different accents (easily idenifiable to those who hear them a lot) and this quirk is how it is done in East Texas while many other parts of the south do strech it into pe-yen as you point out(personally I grew up wishing I had a Gergian accent which I thought was so much prettier:rotfl:)

Okay, I have a simple name to pronounce: Hadley Had and Lee. 2 basic syllables that anyone who grew up speaking English should be able to handle. I am forever meeting people who are convinced that my name has three syllables and rhymes with Natallie:confused3My third grade teacher never did get it right once (I didn't care much for my third grade teacher:lmao:).

Personally the northeastern accent of droppong Rs from the ends of words (that thing in the night sky is a "stah") and then for good measure adding them to the ends of other words (you have a good "idear") cracks me up.

I do jnot say the "h"--I think it is regional right along with coke/soda/pop/etc.

I eat a sub, hogie or grinder depending on where I am going or living. They are all slightly different. A roof has the same oo vowel sound as the word booth.

Gotcha, Had-uh-lie. :lmao: Sorry.....I couldn't resist.

I just think the fact that there are no real set-in-stone rules about "Americanized English" is what drives me so nuts.....because it seems to continue to change on a yearly basis. Who knows--By the year 2020 we may all sound like seals when we talk. :rolleyes:

When it comes to the word Chipotle, I just pronounce it like the Jack in the Box commercial. Chipoodle.

Accents huh? I grew up in Nebraska so I had more of a midwestern accent which is close to Minnesota and the Dakotas. Pronouncing hard R's and O's. Met this guy once a while back during my work travel days, in Minnesota. SO cute. Then he opened his mouth and he sounded like he came straight off the movie Fargo. I couldn't get past the high pitched whiney accent. You betcha!

Now that I've been in Texas for 17 years and raised with parents from the South, I have noticed a slight twang. You can't help from picking it up.

It only took me a couple of months before I was fixin' to go here or fixin' to do that. Partner on the other hand was born and raised here. He's as twangy as they get.

"Chipoodle"? :lmao: Well.....that is a much more fun way to say it. :thumbsup2

I think, depending on who's talking, the southern accent can be sexy.

I guess my accent is a mixture of east coast and midwestern.......although some of the Ohioan accent has started rubbing off on me. :sad2:

It can be in the city. Not so much in the burbs.

What do you mean Pgh is hard to navigate to Ikea!!!! ;) 3 turns and I am there! :thumbsup2

YEAH....probably because you live next door to it! :lmao: I had to make about 3 U-turns and drive over 27 bridges after seeing the building from across the street in order to get in the lousy parking lot.

YEAH....probably because you live next door to it! :lmao: I had to make about 3 U-turns and drive over 27 bridges after seeing the building from across the street in order to get in the lousy parking lot.

What! Only 27 ;) We do have 446 bridges in the city of PGH! LOL
Now I am not big on chain resturaunts but ..... next time your are at ikea and get hungry ,there is a Bahama Breeze near by. You can almost feel like you are on vacation.... with Yuengling !:laughing:

How about creek? Do you say crEEk, or crick?

Is it Gawd or Gahhhd? Fawg or Fahhhg? My brother still says hutdog for hot dog. :confused3 Frawg for frog (frahhg). :teeth:

Is it a chimney or a smokestack? Aluminum or al loo minnie um?

I grew up saying, "ayuh." Don't much say it now, but do write it once in a while. (My Grandmother used to say oncet in a while...).

crEEk
gahhhd
fawg
chimney
aluminum

and, oh yea I said ayuh (and fixin' too--takes all of a half hour in the south for me pick that right back up:rotfl2:)

Oh yeah. After a week of living in Texas I'd picked up "howdy" and "y'all". I managed to avoid the "fixin to" thing, though. Not sure why.
I remember in Jr High Spanish calss everyone (in Colorado) not "getting" what "you plural" (ustedes and vosotros) was and me saying "Duh, it's ya'll!":confused3

Gotcha, Had-uh-lie. :lmao: Sorry.....I couldn't resist.
QUOTE]

There needs to be a sticking out your tongue smiley:rolleyes1

I remember in Jr High Spanish calss everyone (in Colorado) not "getting" what "you plural" (ustedes and vosotros) was and me saying "Duh, it's ya'll!":confused3

Where in Colorado?

I'm a Colorado boy myself!

How about creek? Do you say crEEk, or crick?

Is a grinder something you eat or something you muster on? How about those vending machines that dispense food and candy items? Are they vending machines or gedunk machines? :teeth:

Is it Gawd or Gahhhd? Fawg or Fahhhg? My brother still says hutdog for hot dog. :confused3 Frawg for frog (frahhg). :teeth:

Is it a chimney or a smokestack? Aluminum or al loo minnie um?

Regional accents are many in this vast country. Same as with Europe if you think about it. We don't necessarily change languages but we do have very distinctive accents and colloquialisms by which people can be identified. ::yes::

I grew up saying, "ayuh." Don't much say it now, but do write it once in a while. (My Grandmother used to say oncet in a while...).

Ready for a crazy foreigners input:

Creek.
A grinder is something that you use to grind something (I don't know what 'muster on' means. :confused3)
Vending Machine (but I've never ever seen one in the UK thats does sandwiches and stuff, just chocolate and crisps)
Ghodd, Fhogg, Frhogg (very short 'o's)
Chimney
Alu-min-i-um (that's how we spell it too)

There are some crazy crazy british accents.

Welsh accents are my favourite!!! And Newcastle!

Us brits say "fizzy drink", although I do know some who say "pop" (mainly grandparents)

I'm a brit & ive never said fizzy drink in my lifeeeeeeeeeeee.
I say pop, or soda. Depends what mood i'm in, ha.

For example....Bobby Flay pronounces "chipotle" as "chih-poh-tuh-lay". Where'd the 4th syllable come from? :confused3

All I can say is thank the goddess that we no longer have a president that says "new-cue-lur" I don't care whether he's Republic or Democratic (well, I do actually) but heaven help us and all the saints on the cross, just pronounce the word correctly!!!!!

How do you pronounce roof? (As in over your head?)
Roof....rhymes with hoof!

Oh. That didn't help any, did it?

Ruff isn't exactly it either as the way I say roof doesn't rhyme with cuff. Dang. Someone help me. What other words rhyme with roof and hoof?

Ruff isn't exactly it either as the way I say roof doesn't rhyme with cuff. Dang. Someone help me. What other words rhyme with roof and hoof?
And if anyone uses that aussie slang term, it's out with the wet noodles for a beating!

Where in Colorado?

I'm a Colorado boy myself!

Sorry for the delayed respones--I was out of town and there was no internet at the hotel:sad2:

I grew up in Boulder (lots of hippies:rotfl2:) and in Nederland (all hippies:lmao:). They were great places to grow up (I hardly recognize them now) and went to college in Ft. Collins. What part of Colorful Colorado are you from?

What's y'all's problem with y'all? :)

I love ya'll--it is a more specific term than the rest of the country gets (well, in Jersey I have heard lots of "yous guys" which I guess is also a you plural:rotfl:)

Sorry for the delayed respones--I was out of town and there was no internet at the hotel:sad2:

I grew up in Boulder (lots of hippies:rotfl2:) and in Nederland (all hippies:lmao:). They were great places to grow up (I hardly recognize them now) and went to college in Ft. Collins. What part of Colorful Colorado are you from?

I was born in Denver, but lived in Pueblo (until I was like 7) and grew up in Trinidad, Colorado (very small town, but at least bigger than Aguilar, CO where my grandparents lived)

It was nice to go back a year and a half ago. I don't realize how much I miss the mountains until I go back, and it just fills up my soul to be in the Rockies again.

I was born in Denver, but lived in Pueblo (until I was like 70) and grew up in Trinidad, Colorado (very small town, but at least bigger than Aguilar, CO where my grandparents lived)

It was nice to go back a year and a half ago. I don't realize how much I miss the mountains until I go back, and it just fills up my soul to be in the Rockies again.

Rob I had no idea you were a senoir citizen, you wear your age so well:lmao::lmao:

Well since Pepsi pays the bills, I say Pepsi LOL. :rotfl2: But till they started paying my bills I would say Soda. However; here in the good ole Louisville KY area, you hear Coke all the time from folks. Yes I had to say folks, it is KY after all. :rotfl:

I am in KY... and its "pop"...

We are in central Ky.... my friend in Louisville calls it "Coke"....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter