So Sad

ILUVMYBRIT

Mouseketeer
Working at an airport for an airline means I get to meet and see so many different people. Many times I have angry, frustrated people whose travel plans are all messed up due to late flights. Often I get happy families leaving on vacation. Every once in awhile the honeymooners who have no idea where they even are...just happy they are together. Today I experienced what many of my coworkers have mentioned but I had not had yet had to do.
As I was boarding my flight to New York at the gate I was working, our Philly flight came into the gate right next to me. I look over and see a group of Marines standing along side a hearse. I knew what was about to happen. I finished up my flight and went back upstairs to help the agent who was actually going to be boarding up that Philly flight as soon as the inbound passengers were off. It was going to run a bit late because of the young man who was flying home for the very last time.
The crew for the outbound flight showed up and we explained what was happening. We had to make an anouncement to the passengers waiting to board to let them know that we would be a bit delayed. Suddenly there are cars on the tarmac. This young mans family are there to greet him. The entire boarding area was silent other than the occasional sniff from passengers, crew, and agents standing at the windows witnessing this tragic homecoming. The flight attendant standing next to me was quietly humming Amazing Grace and our ramp agents who are normally loud and obnoxious are standing at attention with their hats off outside the plane. Not a word was spoken til that young man was placed in his ride and taken away. Its the first time I have ever boarded a flight that the passengers were so subdued. It was such a sad moment for us all.

I am sure that it is a sight you will soon not forget. The respect shown to that family and to each other inspires me and makes me think better of humankind. Thank you for sharing this story.

OK I am crying now...I could not have stood there, I would have been bawling my eyes out.

Being in the same industry, I have heard about these occasions and how truly sad and sobbering it is. Every time one of the fallen has come in, everyone has treated the event with the dignity and respect deserved of someone who has given his/her life for our country.

This is not something you will every forget. But I believe you will be glad that you had the chance to witness and pay respect to someone so brave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter