• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So Pixar fest isn’t as popular as they expected?

My confusion is that the parks HAVE been crowded. I’m having a hard time envisioning that they aren’t meeting attendance goals.

Now, have they been as crowded as in 2017 when they ran AP days through much of the early part of the year and drove up crowds that way, and when the Electrical Parade brought crowds starting in January? I’m not sure. But there was also a lot of rain in early 2017. And stretches of 2018 have been quite packed. And June 2017 had nothing “new” and wasn’t really very crowded.

I don’t think the So Cal unblockages are that impactful since they can come the week after Pixar Pier opens either way (other than the 16th - I know a lot of SoCal passholders who are excited about a Saturday visit)... but a lot of the Select people who thought they were “done” are trying to hit these “bonus days” for sure.

I’m going with it being more of a “let’s make the APs happy” PR move than anything, honestly. Positive AP news following the negative news about the blackouts coming next year. And sure, they want the parks crowded all the time.

Finally, lower-level APs certainly do drive up attendance when they’re in their last days of being able to visit before long blackouts (same with the SoCal ticket offer - the last week is killer) - so it will be interesting to see if they show up for these days like they do for those.

Hey, Disney, if you want to get me to renew my AP, cut the price of the Deluxe AP in half since you are not sure about what days, when, will be blocked. You expect us to "trust you" and fork over a lump of cash for days that could be blocked at a whim when they are originally listed as unblocked? Cut the cost to renew. I'm out of state, I won't be going every week. We stay on site, eat all meals on site, spend lots of $$$ shopping too. We go 3-4 times an AP. Come on, Disney, don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Re-posting this from the June thread...

First, I think if DLR has done things a certain way for many years and published things like AP blockout calendars 12 months in advance, it is a fair expectation that Disney will stick with that. It is reasonable to be disappointed and even discouraged when they don't. Yes, I know these are first world problems. I watched a (Disney) movie last night Queen of Katwe (really good BTW) and it softened how I feel a bit.

Nevertheless, Disney is offering a premium entertainment experience and charging a premium price for that. If they stop acting like a premium entertainment provider and change the game on you at the last minute, they should expect folks to be upset.

Do I think our trip will be ruined? Of course not. Do I feel like Disney pulled a fast one on me? Yes, I do. Will it affect my choices in the future? I think it will.

When I found out about this yesterday, I sent an email to Disney explaining how what they did was not fair. Who knows what will happen?

Everyone else - please call or email Disney if you are upset: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/phone/

:cool2:
I just emailed them also. Seriously disappointed. We plan and save all year, and then they pull this. I know it won't change anything, but hopefully they think twice about it next time.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I don’t see how this is any different than any other locals offer that Disney has released without any notice, other than it being available only to Ap’s. They come out with some type of SoCal offer almost every year, and those DO affect attendance and they do not publish the dates in advance.

I hope you're right! We've gone in October for Halloween and it was PACKED! :eek: Way more than I expected it to be. I'd done a lot of research on June vs October and had settled on Junes for lower crowds. I'm probably being paranoid over nothing, which I certainly hope is the case.

We definitely plan on using rope drop, maxpass, and early mornings! I told my MIL if she felt overwhelmed she was more than welcome to take the 2 year old back to the hotel for a nap. I've never been in the summer time and am stressing over a "perfect vacation", so while I'm not happy that Disney pulled a last minute change, I think it's mostly "omgoodness I'm leaving in 10 days" anxiety of my own setting in.

Aim for magical, not perfect.

I would have loved to know about this two weeks ago. We will be at the parks the 20th with my DGF and DGM. We just got them one day parkhoppers a week ago and I don't think I can get a refund.

I guess the biggest reason I contacted Disney now is that it is affecting me now. I feel discouraged before I have even left. That matters to me. I like looking forward to things and now some of that has been lost for this trip since they changed the rules, so to speak, at the last minute, and in a way they never have before.

I ended up contacting Disney about three things. One was the change in AP blockouts as I have already described in https://www.disboards.com/threads/n...-opening-and-ap-blockouts-june-18-30.3682212/

Second, is the reduction in park hours from all Junes I have ever looked at or visited. It does appear Disney is reducing hours on days when more blockouts occur. That is a new thing.

Third, is the last minute announcement about TSMM being down.

I already know the second two will impact our trip. The first one will also impact us, it just will be hard to say how much since we will not be able to compare to what it would have been otherwise.

Could I have waited until after? Sure, I guess.

:wizard:
I sent them an email also. Just so many changes last minute that are really annoying. You can't honestly tell me DIsney didn't know they were going to take TSMM down for a few days. They just chose not to announce it.

This is my take. It was NOT busy on memorial weekend. At least, I did not consider it to be. We never waited more than 20 mins even in a standby. DX and under were blocked Sat Sun, DX unblocked Monday and it didn't pick up much. Pixar Fest is NOT that great. People are waiting for next year for SWL. People are doubly mad about next June and the weird blockouts. This is a combination of low crowds, they know the So-Cal passers will flock in droves because they can, that's more money. The 40% off tickets, that is just INSANE and UNHEARD OF, but they want your friends to come in and have more merch money, so bam, discount tickets. Another thing I expect, "Hey guys, remember that time during the summer when we gave you more days to play, so, now, when we raise the So-Cal select pass to $800, you can't be mad because we gave you 8 extra days!"

As a "tourist" I would be LIVID at this change. I know they say days are subject to change, but planning a few days there around blocks to have them lifted I would cancel my trip. I mean luckily there is not as much planning for me as I live 5 hours away, but someone flying in, DIsney would be getting an angry earful about this.

The idea of being upset because you can now go MORE days is absolutely mind boggling to me. When we had APs this would have been thrilling, if it could have swung a last minute trip. When they did it for Universal passholders it was thrilling bc I was a Universal passholder at the time. Couldn’t get another trip in, but I was happy.

And I sure wish my brother liked Disney and had an AP so he could get me a cheaper ticket!!!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...eyland-resort-annual-passholders-this-summer/

Disneyland is offering One day hopper ticket tickets at 40% off for annual passholders to purchase for guests. Whaaaat?? In the middle of summer?

Awesome.

Yeah but I am sure there is a lawyer somewhere ready to pounce on that contract and how they can’t do that. They’ve sold a service, they can’t change it after the fact.

They are increasing days. There is no way anyone could convince a judge or jury that adding days to go is harmful. If I were on such a jury I would be making “world’s tiniest violin” motions.

I cannot image the uproar if they starting knocking off admission dates when people have airfare, hotel, etc booked and paid for based on the Blackout dates published

All they are doing is adding days to go. Not taking them away.

The unblocking of the masses at an already busy season does bother me. The Universal idea of any one day would be better than just open season.

They blocked certain passes because they thought it was going to be busy. They have unblocked them because they don’t anticipate that expected level of busy. Net result is likely what they expected to begin with.

Funny story. We were in Blue Sky Lounge a month ago and a CM was trying to convince me that they were extending the track for Incredicoaster and it was going to wrap around SSS. And that it was going to open on 6/23 but as of 5/1 they hadn’t actually started :rotfl2: Not. Even. Kidding. Re-engineer an entire roller coaster and open it in 6 weeks. Suuuuure. She was pointing to a drawing of something like Flik’s Flyers over in the empty spot where the old puke rocket was and telling me that was the swings

Yikes.

I told my MIL if she felt overwhelmed she was more than welcome to take the 2 year old back to the hotel for a nap. I've never been in the summer time and am stressing over a "perfect vacation", so while I'm not happy that Disney pulled a last minute change, I think it's mostly "omgoodness I'm leaving in 10 days" anxiety of my own setting in.

For the love of everything please check parade schedules before sending a crowd phobic person off with a toddler (I assume in a stroller so MIL is less mobile) to leave the park because she’s stressed about crowds. Nothing can amp it up like trying to get somewhere and being impacted by parade crowds.

I don’t know how they can foresee those dates not being very busy, or busy enough for them.

Hotel bookings both package and room only. Offsite good neighbor package bookings. Perhaps they get info from local hotels for room only bookings. Ticket sales. Ap sales. Ap renewals. Dining reservations.

All sorts of ways for them to have a good idea of how many people are prepping to visit.

The idea of being upset because you can now go MORE days is absolutely mind boggling to me. When we had APs this would have been thrilling, if it could have swung a last minute trip. When they did it for Universal passholders it was thrilling bc I was a Universal passholder at the time. Couldn’t get another trip in, but I was happy.

And I sure wish my brother liked Disney and had an AP so he could get me a cheaper ticket!!!

Awesome.

They are increasing days. There is no way anyone could convince a judge or jury that adding days to go is harmful. If I were on such a jury I would be making “world’s tiniest violin” motions.

They blocked certain passes because they thought it was going to be busy. They have unblocked them because they don’t anticipate that expected level of busy. Net result is likely what they expected to begin with.

Yikes.

For the love of everything please check parade schedules before sending a crowd phobic person off with a toddler (I assume in a stroller so MIL is less mobile) to leave the park because she’s stressed about crowds. Nothing can amp it up like trying to get somewhere and being impacted by parade crowds.

Hotel bookings both package and room only. Offsite good neighbor package bookings. Perhaps they get info from local hotels for room only bookings. Ticket sales. Ap sales. Ap renewals. Dining reservations.

All sorts of ways for them to have a good idea of how many people are prepping to visit.

Some of my comments were directed at someone whose posts were removed I believe. I am not complaining in the least about getting more days! (Although I only got one lol) And someone was suggesting that we were going to see them next summer take days away after they are already given to us and this is a "warm up" to that. Which I do not believe they will do, out of bad PR if nothing else.

Awesome.

Yikes.

Not everybody has an AP. Many many people are only getting busier parks out of this deal.

The idea of being upset because you can now go MORE days is absolutely mind boggling to me. When we had APs this would have been thrilling, if it could have swung a last minute trip.
I have not heard anyone upset about having more days. There are many upset like I am about having picked the week of June 18 for a visit last AUGUST. Based on the blockout calendar. We are going with our DGD3 on her first trip so I chose a time with a lower crowd history. I also am upset that they have reduced park hours below historical norms. Finally, I am upset they announced a TSMM closure at the last minute for late June. All of that is 100% within Disney's control. Someone within Disney who is either clueless about DLR or does not care made this decision.

For good measure, WOC is damaged and will be down for a lengthy time it appears. We had Dessert Party reservations. Not within Disney's control but coming on top of the other stuff, it especially zings.

:crazy2:

I have not heard anyone upset about having more days. There are many upset like I am about having picked the week of June 18 for a visit last AUGUST. Based on the blockout calendar. We are going with our DGD3 on her first trip so I chose a time with a lower crowd history. I also am upset that they have reduced park hours below historical norms. Finally, I am upset they announced a TSMM closure at the last minute for late June. All of that is 100% within Disney's control. Someone within Disney who is either clueless about DLR or does not care made this decision.

For good measure, WOC is damaged and will be down for a lengthy time it appears. We had Dessert Party reservations. Not within Disney's control but coming on top of the other stuff, it especially zings.

:crazy2:

What happened to WOC? I had not read that. It is currently on the calendar from the 23rd on.

It is still on the calendar, did Disney actually announce it would not open as scheduled?
Jodi at Disney called me this morning and also sent this email:

Dear xxxxx Family,

This letter is to regretfully inform you The World of Color Dessert Party is being canceled due to technically difficulties. Like you, we were very excited about the show and hope to have everything resolved as quickly as possible. However, please enjoy all the other magic Disney has to offer during your stay with us.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you will understand our circumstances. Your full refund will be processed and returned to the card on file.

World Of Color Dessert Party

Confirmation Number: 481171860xxx

Date: June 22 , 2018

Disney California Adventure

Check In : Canceled

Show Time: Canceled

Party Size: 6

- If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a ring.

(714)781-DINE

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jodi Gerard

Park Banquets

raw

Dear xxxxx Family,

This letter is to regretfully inform you The World of Color Dessert Party is being canceled due to technically difficulties. Like you, we were very excited about the show and hope to have everything resolved as quickly as possible. However, please enjoy all the other magic Disney has to offer during your stay with us.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope that you will understand our circumstances. Your full refund will be processed and returned to the card on file.

(714)781-DINE

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jodi Gerard

Park Banquets

raw
Wow, they need to get on taking that off the schedule then!

Dear xxxxx Family,

(714)781-DINE

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Jodi Gerard

Park Banquets

raw

(((Big hugs)))

Your fun trip you are planning for your granddaughter keeps getting changed by Disney(for the worse in MY OPINION). I know you will make the most of the ever changing situations.

Please keep us posted about your trip. PS, and take lots of photos too! You do post great photos.

Thought I'd follow up now that we are back. Of course, we had a great time. The parks felt busy but we know how to use FP, rope drop, and late nights to our benefit. Friday felt the least busy in the walkways compared to Mon-Thu. Evenings were pretty busy but we still found good seats for Paint the Night about an hour before. I wonder how nice the parks would have felt without the extended dates for some passes? Anyway, we had fun. We won't be renewing our passes (we are out-of-state) and I'm not even sure we'll try to fit in one more trip before we expire mid-October. We'll see. It's hard to stay away when the entrance is pre-paid (hotel and travel costs are the big issue).

It may just be my imagination, but I'm starting to feel nickel-and-dimed by Disney. It seems so many things are now an add-on expense that used to be "free" if you were willing to spend a little time. Want a great seat for the parade: buy an over-priced meal. Want a great seat for Fantasmic: buy an overpriced meal. Want preferred treatment for Fast Passes: buy Max Pass. Of course Supply and Demand allow them to do this. We'll take a break and reduce the demand for now.

Who knows how long I'll be able to stay away though once Star Wars opens... ;) Disney is very good about separating me from my money and having me feel happy about it. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter