So much for "Welcome Home"

Not all resorts are the same. Disney is a completely different bag of apples then most every other tourist destination. They have over 36,000 rooms and people tend to stay at least a week. A much higher percentage of guest order food and other items to be delivered for a WDW trip then do anyplace else. You can see how that puts a much, much greater burden on bell service at WDW, can't you? No one should have to wait an half an hour for bell service to take you to your room because they are all busy delivering your shopping to your room. You are more then capable of stopping by and picking it up and they won't charge you. And it doesn't matter what the item is that is delivered, it still takes up their time to do so.
I've never used bell service at a DVC location. Currently on a 27-day trip and am more than capable of getting my one roller bag and cosmetic bag to my room. Are guests charged for bell service other than whatever tip they might offer? If not, my dues pay for that.

I guess my phrasing wasn't precise....the envelope was delivered to the resort. I picked it up from the front desk. But, as I said before, they removed the charge when questioned.

I've never used bell service at a DVC location. Currently on a 27-day trip and am more than capable of getting my one roller bag and cosmetic bag to my room. Are guests charged for bell service other than whatever tip they might offer? If not, my dues pay for that.

I guess my phrasing wasn't precise....the envelope was delivered to the resort. I picked it up from the front desk. But, as I said before, they removed the charge when questioned.

It sounded as if they delivered it to your room. The have been charging for in room delivery but should not have charged you if you picked it up. The whole point for bell service is to get your bags to your room for you. I don't know what else you think that they are for. And that is part of what we pay for, them to handle our baggage. I can see both sides of the issues here. But they did come out and say that the deliveries that people where getting in was overwhelming the staff to where they could not provide the service they are there for, namely helping you with your bags. If you decide not to avail them of that service, that is your choice.

DVC has an agreement with Disney for managing the resort. There is a contract between the Disney Company and the DVC Management Company that states how much DVCM (i.e. we members) will pay and what services are included.
Apparently, Bell services are included in the contract, but only for handling of baggage, delivering of groceries is not explicitly included. For this reason they could start charging the $6 delivery fee. It's sort of a loophole they could exploit. It also means that if you go to bell services, give them one bag and ask them to bring that up together with all the groceries, then they cannot charge you $6, because they're bringing you also a bag and that is included.

DVC has an agreement with Disney for managing the resort. There is a contract between the Disney Company and the DVC Management Company that states how much DVCM (i.e. we members) will pay and what services are included.
Apparently, Bell services are included in the contract, but only for handling of baggage, delivering of groceries is not explicitly included. For this reason they could start charging the $6 delivery fee. It's sort of a loophole they could exploit. It also means that if you go to bell services, give them one bag and ask them to bring that up together with all the groceries, then they cannot charge you $6, because they're bringing you also a bag and that is included.
I would think that you could still be charged the fee for the grocery delivery. Even if they are delivering at the same time as bringing up a bag for free, they are providing both the grocery delivery service and the bag handling. The fee would not be for bringing your bag, only for delivering the groceries which was done in addition to bringing up your bag.

It’s not an accommodation, it’s a time share. You pay for what you get—otherwise I’m paying for what you get.
I expect "luxury" accomodations to provide occasional extra services. A few months ago I left some medication at a very nice resort on the Oregon coast. I called, they found it and express mailed it to my next location. All at no cost, despite my offer. You better believe I will stay there again and recommend to anyone I know going to the area.
I get charging for accepting and storing big packages of groceries or luggage that require moving and space and sometimes refrigeration. This was an envelope.
We did call today and the charge was removed.

I would think that you could still be charged the fee for the grocery delivery. Even if they are delivering at the same time as bringing up a bag for free, they are providing both the grocery delivery service and the bag handling. The fee would not be for bringing your bag, only for delivering the groceries which was done in addition to bringing up your bag.

I agree that if Disney wants to implement a fee for grocery delivery to rooms, it can do that and that doesn’t have to be considered part of bell services normal duties.

We do pay for bell services, this is true, but Disney gets to decide what bell service provides to guests and owners and if they have decided to add a fee for certain things, they can.

Now, I was just at RIV and we left our things, including groceries we had picked up on the way with them and I did not get charged extra when they brought them up our luggage and owners locker after the room was ready, but I was expecting it.

I have been confirmed this is a case in a call with the Hear of regulatory affairs and someone from Resorts management (sorry I don't remember who she was). For a mixed delivery they wouldn't be able to log how much time the person from Bell Services has spent on deliverying the bags and how much for the groceries. If he delivers the groveries only, $6 covers both the trip to your room and the groceries handling. But if it's a mixed delivery, the trip is already paid by MF, should they charge $1 or 2 instead of $6? Is grabbing a few groceries really adding a lot of time? My guess most of the effort is to handle the call itself and then move the stuff to the room. Unloading the groceries may take 30 seconds, maybe locating and loading them might take a bit more, but everything else is already paid. By law, it's forbidden to have members pay again for a service that is already covered by MF, I don't think they want to go into the rabbit hole of determining how much extra effort is done to deliver groceries in addition to bags.

I have been confirmed this is a case in a call with the Hear of regulatory affairs and someone from Resorts management (sorry I don't remember who she was). For a mixed delivery they wouldn't be able to log how much time the person from Bell Services has spent on deliverying the bags and how much for the groceries. If he delivers the groveries only, $6 covers both the trip to your room and the groceries handling. But if it's a mixed delivery, the trip is already paid by MF, should they charge $1 or 2 instead of $6? Is grabbing a few groceries really adding a lot of time? My guess most of the effort is to handle the call itself and then move the stuff to the room. Unloading the groceries may take 30 seconds, maybe locating and loading them might take a bit more, but everything else is already paid. By law, it's forbidden to have members pay again for a service that is already covered by MF, I don't think they want to go into the rabbit hole of determining how much extra effort is done to deliver groceries in addition to bags.

That then explains why I was not charged. Thanks for clarification.

I got charged (way back before the pandemic when paid specialty MB first came out) for a specialty MB delivered by Disney to the GF business centre - we're international so they can't deliver to our house 🤷‍♀️ I don't expect WDW to provide good customer service - that ship has sailed.

Cost of an employee is more than the wage paid. There are employer-side taxes and benefits as well.
Exactly, as a general rule of thumb, multiply wages earned by 2.5 to get total costs to the employer, so a $15 per hour wage means total employee costs are closer to $37.50. This tends to account for a lot of the little things no one ever thinks of, such as:
  • Wages
  • Benefits
  • Taxes (Employer Side)
  • Workers Comp Insurance
  • Direct Deposit/Check Issuance Costs
  • Work done by the accounting department
  • Supervisor costs
  • Lighting, water, etc. costs
  • Cost of any applicable software licenses, including the licenses for whatever accounting system is in place
  • HR Reviews
The list goes on, but these are a few things that get factored in, so that 15 minutes worth of work would cost the employer closer to $9.38.

But, it really is more than 15 minutes, as they spend about 15 minutes accepting the package, another 5 minutes properly storing it and another 15 minutes to deliver it, so more like $21.85. Of course this assumes they are only taking one package at a time and only delivering one at a time. Instead they will group packages/deliveries together to reduce this cost. But in all reality, that $6 an hour is likely a bargain compared to actual costs involved.

I don't like it any more than anyone else, but you can see how it adds up fast for them.

Exactly, as a general rule of thumb, multiply wages earned by 2.5 to get total costs to the employer, so a $15 per hour wage means total employee costs are closer to $37.50. This tends to account for a lot of the little things no one ever thinks of, such as:
  • Wages
  • Benefits
  • Taxes (Employer Side)
  • Workers Comp Insurance
  • Direct Deposit/Check Issuance Costs
  • Work done by the accounting department
  • Supervisor costs
  • Lighting, water, etc. costs
  • Cost of any applicable software licenses, including the licenses for whatever accounting system is in place
  • HR Reviews
The list goes on, but these are a few things that get factored in, so that 15 minutes worth of work would cost the employer closer to $9.38.

But, it really is more than 15 minutes, as they spend about 15 minutes accepting the package, another 5 minutes properly storing it and another 15 minutes to deliver it, so more like $21.85. Of course this assumes they are only taking one package at a time and only delivering one at a time. Instead they will group packages/deliveries together to reduce this cost. But in all reality, that $6 an hour is likely a bargain compared to actual costs involved.

I don't like it any more than anyone else, but you can see how it adds up fast for them.

I read something recently that they have installed some sort of locks at one of the resorts..maybe an All Stars?…to hold packages.

I agree that they could implement charging for accepting packages and deliveries when guest is not there yet vs the deliver piece.

It could be similar to how they will no longer accept scooters and hold them from anyone except Scooterbug.

So, always leave a bag with Bell services and have them bring it and your groceries up. ;)

That's the ridiculousness of it because that's all that is required.

Last edited:
So, always leave a bag with Bell services and have them bring it and your groceries up. ;)

That the ridiculousness of it because that's all that is required.
We don't usually have any groceries delivered, but if I did, I would consider using the bag delivery hack and then adding the $6 to the tip for the bell clerk who delivers the items. At least that way it's going to someone deserving and not just into Disney's corporate coffers.

I would add that they didn't suggest it, I pointed it out to them as an hack that shows how silly is to distinguish between bags and groceries. But they confirmed it would work.

I would add that they didn't suggest it, I pointed it out to them as an hack that shows how silly is to distinguish between bags and groceries. But they confirmed it would work.
Hmm, this makes me wonder, how long would they store your bags? I'm thinking if you are limited on space, say in a studio, could you just leave your empty bags with bell services until you need to repack?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter