So I Took A Look At The 2017 Fort Wilderness Campsite Rates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
...and I learned a few things.

First, to back up, last year the 2016 rates came out and they weren't really much higher than the prior year (2015). I made a simple chart comparing 2016 rates to 2015 rate by period and the increase ranged from 0-6%. (sorted alphabetically by rate period)

BTW, the source for the 2015, 2016, and 2017 was the good folks at Mousesavers. The rates they show are the rack (non-discounted) rates, with applicable tax, and rounded to the nearest dollar.

During 2016 Disney has raised prices left and right on food, tickets, annual passes, introduced new revenue generating ideas, and done just about everything to squeeze a buck till it screams (or its guest's wallet). But I really wasn't prepared for the 2017 price increase for Fort Wilderness campsites which ranged from 1-15%.

New for 2017 is a rate period called "Spring" which is in March and is essentially Easter rates to capitalize on the main 2 weeks in mid-March that are spring break in a lot of places. Previously that time period was labelled "Peak" and was cheaper. So they are really trying to jack up the prices. There is also a Fall period which is new but it appears to be last year's "Pre-Holiday" period so only the name has changed.

Here is a consolidated view of 2017 rates (rack, with tax, rounded):

I remember when we moaned and groaned here the year the Holiday price for the most expensive campsite went over $100 a night. :earseek:

They've really socked the weekends hard, holidays, and the primary family travel times. Personally I will be travelling off-season more in the future but with these prices and high occupancy rates, they really could expand the Fort and still make a boatload of money.

Bama Ed

PS - I can't believe they didn't price gouge the dates around Halloween.

Last edited:
Great work on the spread sheet. All I got to say is, OUCH!

Thanks Ed.

I was doing this a couple of weeks ago when they announced the new rates, but I was just looking at late August to the end of September. At least I have a resi for one of the lowest times of the year. Now I just have to wait 11 months to see if they run another "Back to School" special like this year.

j

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this information with us Ed,

It's coming to a time where we all just book one site and split it up the cost and share it.

Thanks for the numbers Ed.

Yeah, fall break October 10-11 is looking better for us. Means oldest misses three days of school but rates are better.

Either that, or go in June, but i can't do GSP and the Fort in same month.

Wow! :eek: Some of those increases are huge--especially if you stay several days and a couple of weekends! Thanks for putting this together.

Thanks Ed...

this is kinda depressing...

Ya know, Peach, it won't be long before EVERY rate period will be at least 3 digits for all four categories. Looking at it from right to left and top to bottom, the 2-digit rates are getting squeezed out.

Premiums are all now over $100 even at Value times. Preferred will push past it maybe next year. Full in maybe 3 years. And so on ....

Ed

Last edited:
Ya know, Peach, it won't be long before EVERY rate period will be at least 3 digits for all four categories. Looking at it from right to left and top to bottom, the 2-digit rates are getting squeezed out.

Premiums are all now over $100 even at Value times. Preferred will push past it maybe next year. Full in maybe 3 years. And so on ....

Ed

Thanks for the numbers Ed. I know I'm not the first nor will I be the last to ask........ when will it stop. When will I say "I love camping at the Fort but it is no longer feasible or economical". Will people start visiting the Fort every other year instead of every year or maybe even less often. Disney may view their campsite rates as a bargain compared to their hotel resort rates, but we who bring our hotel with us know that there are additional costs that somewhat negate what is becoming a smaller and smaller savings. With that being said, the DW and I have already made the decision to skip the Fort next year and look at Camping at Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg and a season pass to Dollywood. About 6 hours from home and a season pass to Dollywood for both the DW and I is less then a 10 day MYW Park hopper for 1. All this coming from someone who truly enjoys the Disney experience that goes far beyond the parks.

Yeah I was a bit shocked at the price when I booked October for 2017. I booked the 5th to the 15th which is the same number of nights we stayed last time and even though last time was over Thanksgiving and the only holiday we hit this time is Columbus Day, it was still a significant increase. I was not a happy camper when I looked at the total!

Thanks for the numbers Ed. I know I'm not the first nor will I be the last to ask........ when will it stop.

It's a balancing act for everyone for sure, Steve.

Personally we cut back on the number of days in the parks. While I can visit the MK each trip, the other three are stagnant (how many years has the same movie been showing in France at Epcot?) or closing parts for construction. We will do one theme park day on our upcoming January trip.

I also spend the first night in the Orlando area off-site for a rack rate of $24 and get up early the next morning and toddle over 30 minutes to the Fort. It beats paying $100+ for the privilege of sleeping that night in Disney's airspace.

With my popup I also have the option (and will probably do this in the future) of backing off from a Preferred campsite to a Full (and probably ultimately the Tent/Pop-up) to offset annual price increases.

Having moved my Aliner on the last trip from site 201 to 104, I am no longer afraid to request a re-assignment mid-trip. So if I get put in 2000 I can be up at the lobby at 6am every morning to try to get re-assigned to 1500 before the Early Check-in auto texts go out to incoming guests with their site assignments. (On the last trip, I was surprised at how many re-assignments I saw. It's a posture you come to recognize).

So yeah. I cringe for the people on the DIS Resorts board who are dealing with this issue for the on-property hotels.

Bama Ed

OUCH is right. I can remember staying in loop 400 on our first trip back in the late 90's $45.00 per night. Those were the days........... They are going to make it so expensive that its not worth it to go. And we live in Florida....................

86 days and counting.

Thanks for the numbers Ed. I know I'm not the first nor will I be the last to ask........ when will it stop. When will I say "I love camping at the Fort but it is no longer feasible or economical". Will people start visiting the Fort every other year instead of every year or maybe even less often. Disney may view their campsite rates as a bargain compared to their hotel resort rates, but we who bring our hotel with us know that there are additional costs that somewhat negate what is becoming a smaller and smaller savings. With that being said, the DW and I have already made the decision to skip the Fort next year and look at Camping at Pigeon Forge / Gatlinburg and a season pass to Dollywood. About 6 hours from home and a season pass to Dollywood for both the DW and I is less then a 10 day MYW Park hopper for 1. All this coming from someone who truly enjoys the Disney experience that goes far beyond the parks.

My wife and I were talking about this last night as well. We are 7 hours from Gatlinburg and staying there is for sure much cheaper, so is Branson for that matter.

When Disney increases the prices on a night's stay, we compensate by removing an activity from our list while staying at Disney. For instance, we have always done a meal at Cinderella's castle each visit, but skipped it this past visit to make up for the increased lodging fees. Or, we drop a park day and save the extra money from the park tickets to make up for the price increase. Alas, we have officially decided to skip out on the Fort this year and will go back to GSP in October and maybe a run to the mountains in December/January while the kids are out of school. We toyed with the spring break time here as our week of spring break in Mississippi was actually the week before the big price jumps in the past, but now it's included and makes June and October look more attractive.

It's a balancing act for everyone for sure, Steve.

Personally we cut back on the number of days in the parks. While I can visit the MK each trip, the other three are stagnant (how many years has the same movie been showing in France at Epcot?) or closing parts for construction. We will do one theme park day on our upcoming January trip.

I also spend the first night in the Orlando area off-site for a rack rate of $24 and get up early the next morning and toddle over 30 minutes to the Fort. It beats paying $100+ for the privilege of sleeping that night in Disney's airspace.

With my popup I also have the option (and will probably do this in the future) of backing off from a Preferred campsite to a Full (and probably ultimately the Tent/Pop-up) to offset annual price increases.

Having moved my Aliner on the last trip from site 201 to 104, I am no longer afraid to request a re-assignment mid-trip. So if I get put in 2000 I can be up at the lobby at 6am every morning to try to get re-assigned to 1500 before the Early Check-in auto texts go out to incoming guests with their site assignments. (On the last trip, I was surprised at how many re-assignments I saw. It's a posture you come to recognize).

So yeah. I cringe for the people on the DIS Resorts board who are dealing with this issue for the on-property hotels.

Bama Ed

My wife and I were talking about this last night as well. We are 7 hours from Gatlinburg and staying there is for sure much cheaper, so is Branson for that matter.
When Disney increases the prices on a night's stay, we compensate by removing an activity from our list while staying at Disney. For instance, we have always done a meal at Cinderella's castle each visit, but skipped it this past visit to make up for the increased lodging fees. Or, we drop a park day and save the extra money from the park tickets to make up for the price increase. Alas, we have officially decided to skip out on the Fort this year and will go back to GSP in October and maybe a run to the mountains in December/January while the kids are out of school. We toyed with the spring break time here as our week of spring break in Mississippi was actually the week before the big price jumps in the past, but now it's included and makes June and October look more attractive.

You guys couldn't have said it any better as to how our Disney trips have evolved. One of the obvious benefits of camping is the ability to save by cooking at your campsite. Where we would eat at say Sci-Fi Dine In, Mama Melrose's, ESPN Club and Fresh Mediterranean for breakfast (the fresh made to order omelets are killer) now we only hit a couple of our "must do" favorites. Giordano's and Miller's Orlando Ale House just outside Disney property are a great bargain for a family of 4. Recently we have started taking a soft sided cooler with sandwiches, chips and snack cakes to the parks. This has actually become a welcome time for my family. We find a quiet out of the way place to sit down and enjoy our lunch.
Where we would try and do something special each trip like Cirque or parasailing, those have become more of an every other trip activity if that.
As far as sites go........I really like either the preferred or premium sites. Because of this, like Ed and Michael, we have sacrificed other things that really made Disney a special place for my family.
Again..........with all this said.......... it seems that we are sacrificing many of the things that made the Disney experience just that..... the Disney experience.......... all in an effort to continue to have the Disney experience.
Brings up the question again, when does the cost and sacrifices outweigh the Disney experience?

...and I learned a few things.

First, to back up, last year the 2016 rates came out and they weren't really much higher than the prior year (2015). I made a simple chart comparing 2016 rates to 2015 rate by period and the increase ranged from 0-6%. (sorted alphabetically by rate period)

BTW, the source for the 2015, 2016, and 2017 was the good folks at Mousesavers. The rates they show are the rack (non-discounted) rates, with applicable tax, and rounded to the nearest dollar.

During 2016 Disney has raised prices left and right on food, tickets, annual passes, introduced new revenue generating ideas, and done just about everything to squeeze a buck till it screams (or its guest's wallet). But I really wasn't prepared for the 2017 price increase for Fort Wilderness campsites which ranged from 1-15%.

New for 2017 is a rate period called "Spring" which is in March and is essentially Easter rates to capitalize on the main 2 weeks in mid-March that are spring break in a lot of places. Previously that time period was labelled "Peak" and was cheaper. So they are really trying to jack up the prices. There is also a Fall period which is new but it appears to be last year's "Pre-Holiday" period so only the name has changed.

Here is a consolidated view of 2017 rates (rack, with tax, rounded):

I remember when we moaned and groaned here the year the Holiday price for the most expensive campsite went over $100 a night. :earseek:

They've really socked the weekends hard, holidays, and the primary family travel times. Personally I will be travelling off-season more in the future but with these prices and high occupancy rates, they really could expand the Fort and still make a boatload of money.

Bama Ed

PS - I can't believe they didn't price gouge the dates around Halloween.
$126 per night for a place to pitch your own tent in March? :crazy2: I'm glad we went in 2015 when prices were more reasonable. I will NOT pay those rates just to sleep in a tent that I have to haul in along with my other gear, then work to put up & take down, etc. We can stay in a nice hotel offsite for that amount.

Last edited:
Wow! Those rates are about 25% more than what we paid in 2011. I will say it's pretty much worth it though...the convenience to everything is a real time saver. Nothing like not having to drive 30 min to a hotel after a long day of walking in Disney.

Wow! Those rates are about 25% more than what we paid in 2011. I will say it's pretty much worth it though...the convenience to everything is a real time saver. Nothing like not having to drive 30 min to a hotel after a long day of walking in Disney.
There are nice on-Disney-property hotels that are technically offsite, that have park shuttles & now cost less than the campsites at desirable times of year.

Last edited:
These prices make me sad and I guess no 3 trips next year for sure.... Not even if we will make one and this our family (and I mean multiple sites worth of people) trip each year, I had my reception at Trails End!

Its one thing when they gave discounts, but the campsites are never included like they were in the past... Boy do I miss Florida Resident, AP Holder and AAA discounts.

I remember getting a preferred site only a few years ago in May for less than 50 bucks a night.. I have already figured that we are not renewing our APs this winter. May have to just go with Busch Gardens APs for a few years. I love the Fort but paying moderate hotel prices to stay in my own RV is pushing things too far.... I about died when I saw 170 for some weekends.... That's just insane!!

I guess more trips to Wyndham Bonnet Creek because I love that place too. And its cheaper than the fort at this rate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter