Snow White Costume

Dreamer & Wisher

DIS Veteran
Has anyone made the Snow White version of Simplicity Pattern 9384? I am stumped by the sleeves. The directions aren't really clear and I have never made a sleeve with the teardrop cutouts showing through. I just don't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

Yes, I did make it. I was also stumped by the directions. I remember just sewing all of the layers together and just cutting around where the red was supposed to show. Then I zigzagged around each teardrop to hold them in place. I spent days trying to follow the directions. It looks just fine.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know. DD wore it for Halloween last year.

As for the dickey, she refused to wear it(it was too irritating) and I could not figure out how to get it incorporated to the cape, so no collar.

I did that pattern a few years ago, but changed the way the sleeve was made. Not only were their directions bad, but I'm very particular about the details and compare every last item to the movie. In the real Snow White dress, the sleeve has red gussets/pleats ..... not tear drops. To do this was simple. I chopped the sleeve into quadrants (not sure now how many there were, but think it was 4) vertically. I then added 3 inch sections of red in-between all of the cut pieces. When that was done, I brought the blue sections back together at the shoulder and sleeve bottom only, stitching along the seam allowance. At that point, the sleeve looked like the original pattern piece. It formed a red pleat that was only visible when the sleeve moved. It sounds harder than it was, but it definitely made a difference.

bianca said:
I did that pattern a few years ago, but changed the way the sleeve was made. Not only were their directions bad, but I'm very particular about the details

Bianca,

I love the way you think! Are you a professional seamstress?

Have you made the Ariel wedding dress? Am I in for more frustration?

Thanks!

I simplified it even more than any of you! All I did was make regular puff sleeves. I then took a bottle of red sparkle fabric paint and painted the red insets all around the sleeves! My daughter was six at the time and wanted EVERYTHING to sparkle so that was an easy fix; it made us both happy!

I am so glad to find out that it is not just me that has problems with the Simplicity patterns. I just finished making the poodle skirt and it was such a pain to be so simple. Of course my problem was I was trying to follow their directions on how to insert the zipper. When I gave up and just pulled out the sewing machine instruction manual I had no problems. Well, at least none with the zipper anyway. I made it a a size 14, figuring since DD was a size 12 it would be fine. When I cut it out it looked a little small in the waist, but I figured it was since I was holding it to me as a measure. Well, after fighting with the directions I finished it and was so proud till she tried it on and it was about 2 inches too small. I had to rip out the waistband, and my precious zipper and put in an elastic band. She's happier now, and the skirt actually falls better too. I think that was my last SImplicity Costume pattern. I had no problems with the Mc Calls (pirate)one I made for other DD.

You know, that is so funny! In a sad way. They are called 'Simplicity', but almost every pattern I have ever had with by them has got some gobbledy-gook that I cannot make heads or tails of. I once called for help and the lady made me feel like an idiot.

I would have never thought of paint. Any suggestions from anyone on that horrible collar-dickey?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter