Snorkeling with glasses

tstobb

DIS Veteran
My DW has glasses and we don't want to go through the expense of having prescription goggles/mask made for 1 trip. Any suggestions as to how she can join in on the fun?
Thanks in advance . . .

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

Is she opposed to contacts? I've heard of (and will be trying) snorkling with contacts.

As someone who wore glasses for MANY years, I unforunately tell you that you can't snorkle with glasses. The mask won't fit properly with the arms of the glasses, allowing water inside the mask. You can try to snorkle with contacts, my DH does that and doesn't have a problem. If your DW is like me, and can't/won't wear contacts(I've since had LASIK), her only option is one of the custom made masks with her perscription.

check this option out. I was able to get my lenses glued in my mask for $55.00. Of course, I am hooked on snorkeling and go two or three times a year, but i can tell you it is worth it, in my opinion.

If her eyesight is only slightly impaired, she may be O.K. A good mask with good glass, and the magnification that the sea water itself provides, can sometimes be enough correction. Before my eyesight really crumped I used to just put on the mask and go.

Carla

I can't speak for the cruise, but in Honolulu, I was able to rent a prescription mask. they had various strengths. They didn't have my actual prescription--20/800 with an astigmatism :rolleyes: but the 20/200 was sufficient for snorkelling. Obviously, without correction, I couldn't find the boat! Good luck. BTW, I'm going to order prescription goggles for the cruise, we plan to snorkel at every stop, so I figure it'll be cheaper in the long run, not to mention the funky prescription!

Originally posted by prymsu
check this option out. I was able to get my lenses glued in my mask for $55.00. Of course, I am hooked on snorkeling and go two or three times a year, but i can tell you it is worth it, in my opinion.

prymsu: Who does this for you? My DW had problems seeing underwater. It would great to see if we can get this done before Hawaii!!

Originally posted by akterrye
Is she opposed to contacts? I've heard of (and will be trying) snorkling with contacts.

Snorkling with contacts is a piece of cake. My DW and I have been snorkling for years wearing contacts. I'm 20/400 and DW is like BuzznBelle'smom, 20/800+ with astigmatism.

a local shop in Iowa City (which is no longer open) did this for me. They sent the mask off to Chicago, and it took a couple of weeks.

I know that www.diversdirect.com is also another way that you can do this. I also have a friend that had her eye doctor's office do this, and part of the cost was covered under her vision insurance.

BuzzNBelle's Mom, a prescription mask is a great investment and I loved mine. I have a question to ask you. Can you please e-mail me? Sorry, don't know how to send a private msg. Azulago@aol.com. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter