**SNEAK PREVIEW ** CONTEMPORARY Rehab Photos!!!

justhat

<font color=teal>DC DISer<br><font color=red>pick
We just got back from 5 nights at the CR-tower and were a few rooms away from 24 hours a day construction. We found out that they were completely renovating rooms 4225 and 4226. The manager told us they were working 24 hours a day cause the rooms had to be completed by May 1st. They let us peek in, but we couldn't walk all the way in since they were working. We took some photos of what we could see from the doorway though. They also seem to have flat screen tvs, though we didn't get it in the photos cause they're behind the closet door. The tvs are built into wooden wall units (dresser/entertainment center combo) and they're either flat panels or really thin CRT tvs built into the wall unit. They also put in new balconies, which looked black from the view from our balcony, but we're not totally sure. Anyway, here's what the hallway outside the rooms looks like and the rooms as you can see from the door.

f44935bb.jpg

f44935b4.jpg

New marble floor in entryway.

f44935aa.jpg

You can't see it well here, but the sinks are ultra-modern white pedastal style sinks (2 of them, each with a mirror). There aren't any counters, but they might be putting them in since they were working in the bathroom when we took the photos. There's still the separate door for the toilet.

f44935a5.jpg

f449359e.jpg

The doors are black and the exterior walls are a very dark brown.

f4493599.jpg

The new carpeting in the hallway looks much better than the old one.

Thanks for Posting!

We are to go on May 3rd and was wondering about the rehab. Are they just starting on the 4th floor or can you tell if other rooms have been renovated yet? Did the 24 hour work cause you any unpleasant noise or bother?

Thanks again!!!
Rosemary :Pinkbounc

Actually, rooms 4225 and 4226 are on the 6th floor, not the 4th. Confusing, but to get the floor number you add the 1st 2 digits together (4+2=6, so 6th floor). So it was the 6th floor, facing the MK, but furthest rooms away, so closest to TTC. As far as we could tell, they were the only rooms done so far as we didn't see any other black doors/walls or different carpeting on any other floors. We had a little noise from the construction (we were in room 4230, so 4 rooms away), but nothing too bad. They were also painting the roof of the convention center a solid green instead of stripes, so the noise could have been from that too. It sounded like sheets of metal dropping and it was around 6 or 7am, only one morning. We called the front desk that night to ask if we'd hear it again and they said there was no construction in the building! So we told them to come up and look at the men and scaffolding outside our room, and the manager did and that's when she told us what they were doing, and how they had to be done for May 1st. The thing is, when they did the doors/hallway wall/carpet, the entire hallway was blocked off to go to those rooms, so I would think as they work closer to the elevators they'll have to keep the already completed rooms empty as you couldn't get past the construction. We're thinking of going back there in December if they're done. I asked a worker what he thought, but he had no idea. I wanted to ask the 'boss' but when I went back to the room he was gone.

COOL LOOK!! Will all the rooms look like this in the tower? If so, it will make Contemparary look like its name suggests!

Finally a little more contemporary, and looks really nice~but I think it will look outdated in a few years.

Are ALL the rooms supposed be redone by May 1st or just the Tower rooms?

Thanks!
Karla B. :earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy:

Just those 2 rooms in the tower is what the manager told us. Our room was still old and in need of repair. The closet and outside sliders were both off the track and the bedside table was missing a leg (actually, the leg was under the table, just not attached to it!). We called when we checked in (room was ready at 8am when we transferred from AKL) and they repaired them while we were in the parks so it wasn't a big deal. The new rooms have non-sliding closet doors (as you can see), but the bathroom now has a slider.

The big thing I hope they changed was the slats in the balcony. My daughter, who is 14 months, could have very easy fit though the slats sideways. Granted, a baby shouldn't be out there alone, but we all know how fast they can move and if my daughter can fit through the slats so can many other toddlers I'm sure. I know the balconies had brand new rails, so I'm guessing they address this (wasn't a problem with the AKL rails), but since we couldn't go out there I can't say for sure.

Thank you for posting the pictures. I think the rooms will look great!

Thanks for the info and pictures. Can't wait to see if they are doing the whole tower. :cheer2:

wow thanks for posting the pictures!

justhat said:
Our room was still old and in need of repair. The closet and outside sliders were both off the track and the bedside table was missing a leg (actually, the leg was under the table, just not attached to it!)... /QUOTE]

Thats a shame that you pay $250+ per night and have a room comparable to one you could pay $50 per night for. :sad2:

Great pictures. I hope all of the rooms are done by Dec. I love the new decor. It reminds of the AKL color palette. Very relaxing!

I think you have the SCOOP on these rooms! Thanks so much for sharing with us. I wonder if these rooms are the demos for the executives to try out.
Thus the reason for them being done by the May celebration.

Great Job!!

Lori

Wow! That decor far exceeds my expectations. That would make me consider staying there again. I didn't like it at all in January 2004. Thank you so much for sharing.

Thanks for sharing your scoop! If anyone else notices more rooms being rehabed in the near future, please keep us posted! Thanks.

I also wondered if those two rooms are being fixed up for a Disney honcho. Or a celebrity... or the Travel Channel! LOL

Flat screen TVs? I can't imagine that those will go into every room!

They are going to look great! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to stay at the CR in a couple of years. :cloud9:

Did they by chance say if the 14th floor would also have this design? The concierge's said it was to be re-habbed soon, too.

Thanks for sharing.

They weren't really into sharing too much info as to why those rooms had to be done by that date, or if the rest of the rooms and concierge would look that way. In fact, I think I mentioned this, but the front desk didn't even know there was construction going on! It seemed like they were trying to do it discreetly (despite the scaffolding in the hall!). Oh, and I was shocked about the tvs too, which is why I thought that maybe they are CRT tvs, but just thin versions and are built into the wall unit so well they look like flat screens. But if that's the case, they did a great job with them. They're in the part of the wall unit right behind the closet, sorta on the corner.

I guess that I am in the minority, but, strangely enough, I liked that crazy-colored carpet--to me, it said "vacation!"
That brown carpet says "convention" to me--appropriate, I guess, since it's a convention hotel, but I think that it loses some of the fun.

I did love the dark marble rounded countertops in the bathrooms, too. Soooo much space.
Re-doing the balconies is good...is the sliding door to the bathroom opaque???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter