Smoking and drinking at the pool

dawna_521

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I am a "casual" (meaning once in a while) smoker and drinker and I like to have a few cigs when I am sucking down an icy alcoholic beverage. What are the policies about doing this while trying to relax at your resort pool? I am staying at Pop. Do they have specific areas that are designated for smoking? If so, are there any that are close to the pool area (Hippy Dippy). What about having alcoholic beverages by the pool so long as they are not in glass containers?

I can't speak for there but there was smoking in a designated area near the pool at Animal Kingdom lodge, Wilderness lodge and Yacht club. I think all three were near the bar area.

There are large ashtrays at the Hippy Dippy Pool. No one will criticize you.

Pop is GREAT! Enjoy!! :cheer2:

I can honestly say I never noticed anyone smoking at Pop Century last year by the pool, but maybe they stayed away from the water itself? I'd say to be courteous it would be nice if you stuck away from the kids pool area, since you never know with asthma and stuff. But I think that if you are thinking about this in advance enough to ask the question than you'll probably be polite about it :)

Wow, kudos for thinking this out! Definitely courteous of you! :thumbsup2

I don't smoke (asthma, and smoke is a big trigger for me), so I have never noticed if the pools have smoking areas. Don't hesitate to ask a CM when you get there, they can let you know for sure. If there is not one, just look around you and choose a spot that seems the most courteous to others around you. The previous poster who mentioned, for example, maybe avoiding the kiddie pool area-- that was a great suggestion.

taximomfor4 said:
Wow, kudos for thinking this out! Definitely courteous of you! :thumbsup2 .

Wasn't that nice?? :goodvibes DD and I both have asthma and smoke is a big trigger- if people stick to the smoking areas it works well- because then I know where not to go with her. I thought it was really nice to hear someone thinking it out ahead of time. :thumbsup2

I have stayed at values in the past (POP next trip) and am a smoker. We usually visit the quiet pools.

I find the furthest chair from the pool, and if no one is sitting in that area. I will smoke there. I have never seen an ashtray. I make sure they are completely out and when we leave the pool area, I dispose of them. And yes, I have brought a couple of beers (in cans or cups) too. Just throw those out too when done.

I don't believe I've ever bothered anyone (I hope not) and the lifeguards have never told me I couldn't do that.

I have often sat by th WL pool sipping a icy adult drinking while watching the kiddies swim, its no problem

Evil Queen said:
I find the furthest chair from the pool, and if no one is sitting in that area. I will smoke there. I have never seen an ashtray. I make sure they are completely out and when we leave the pool area, I dispose of them. .

I think you can ask housekeeping for an ashtray.

At ASMo if I remember the smoking area was at the outside bar right across from the pool and no one said anything about my DH bring his beer over to sit in a chair while we were in the pool (although I was horrified, lol) I dont know why I can see someone sitting with a coconut drink by the pool but not someone with a beer bottle..I know its just me..lol No offense intended to anyone by the way..

Feel free to have you drink of choice in a plastic cup by the pool. although FL state law prohibits them actually being "IN" any public pool.

Anne

Thanks to all for the great info...I just didn't want to go against any of the rules or offend anyone.

There are ashtrays at the Poly pool at all the tables at the poolbar.

bluejasmine said:
At ASMo if I remember the smoking area was at the outside bar right across from the pool and no one said anything about my DH bring his beer over to sit in a chair while we were in the pool (although I was horrified, lol) I dont know why I can see someone sitting with a coconut drink by the pool but not someone with a beer bottle..I know its just me..lol No offense intended to anyone by the way..

Glass is a hazard near a pool. My mom has a pool and glass has always been a big no-no

I never saw any signs saying smoking was prohibited by the pool, but I know that all the ashtrays were located near the pool bar at ASMo. I would not be surprised if their placement "encourages" smoking in that area.

and hey, less walk for another beer. :)

DH smokes and has never had a problem at the resort pools. He just asks at the bar for an ashtray. We asked if there was an area just for smoking and the lifeguards said 'no'. When we were at TL, we always go up to the bar...he smokes and I grab a drink.

As for designated smoking areas by pools, I don't remember any. I saw ashtrays spread around and thought you could smoke anywhere, except maybe AKL. We have stayed at BC and WL, and my husband usually smokes a cigar by the pool. I don't remember him sitting in any designated spot. And, we always have drinks and just have them in whatever they are served in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter