Smokers at WDW

No...I was talking about not using the e-cigarette just anywhere even though you could w/o harm to anyone else. I was saying to say in the smoking areas because if you were walking around using it anywhere, someone would probably say something to you.

I guess I completely misunderstood your post.

Although I do not think smelling sigarets is a good idea while try to quit, you are right about people will comment on esigarets. First not everyone even knows what it is and you do not want to explain here and there that you are not causing problems, second CMs may ask you to put it away. There was a thread a while ago about CM asked to put away esigaret b/c of other guests questions, even so CM admited he knows those are harmless.

I used mine in Innoventions sitting right next to a CM. He was amazed lol. There is no policy for it. It's water vapor that disapates rapidly so there's no public risk. In fact that CM plus a few others he had to "show" wished that this was more in the public eye because of the decline risk in secondary exposure.

Any recommendations on a brand of e-cig? I've been looking into them but have no idea if any are better tasting or more effective? would love some info!

Any recommendations on a brand of e-cig? I've been looking into them but have no idea if any are better tasting or more effective? would love some info!

I REALLY like the Janty Dura-C. It looks nothing like a cigarette (more like an ink pen). They have a long life, many ways to recharge, and their flavors are among the best.

As someone who smokes, I do respect this. I also wish people would respect us too. In other words, don't bring your kids to sit on the benchs in the DSA for a break and then give us all evil looks for smoking near your kids.

(I guess I don't know how to quote!!)

My mother is a smoker, and on our last trip she was in one of the smoking areas having a cigarette. All of a sudden, a woman sitting there with a child said, "Do you mind? My son has asthma!" My mother immediatey put out her cigarette, and then said, "Should he be sitting in the smoking area?" The woman just looked at her all flustered and walked away. I'm not a fan of smoking myself... but I was glad that my normally meek mother stood up for herself.

Good to know we have to include smoking areas in our touring plans as my we are going with DW's family both of my BIL's smoke. My wife there sis made it clear to them you must smoke in certian areas. It is going to be hard for one of them as he works in construction.

DH smokes. He insisted last weekend at the Magical Kingdom that there were fewer smoking areas than before. Not sure if that's the case. Just thought I'd mention it. It really does slow down a touring plan when you're traveling with a smoker. DH misses a lot of rides with the kids and we spend a lot of time hooking back up while he goes in search of smoking areas.

Thank you for asking this and for making sure to express to your IL that there ARE in fact DSA and they cannot just light up wherever. I am a non-smoker and my DH smokes (not in front of our children though, so he is used to sneaking away somewhere to smoke).

When we were there in September we saw MANY people walking around the parks smoking. There were also two guests (both women) in our building at POP that continually smoked in non-smoking areas. One smoked right up on the second floor balcony in front of her room, and another hid behind Baloo and Mowgli and smoked there, near the base of the stairwell. ONE of the staff members surely must've seen them at some point, but I guess the penalties are not being strictly enforced.

I agree with the PP who stated that you shouldn't wait for them. Tell them where you are headed and let THEM figure out if there is a DSA near the attraction to which you are headed. They can meet you when they are done or something. I definitely wouldn't want to waste any of my vacation standing around waiting for someone to smoke. Its bad enough I had to wait for the sissy bladdered to pee!! (btw... just kidding on that.. )

Enjoy your trip!

CAREFUL I AM APPROACHING MY SOAP BOX

As a health care professional smoking is a topic very near to me and my practice. Every day I treat smokers who have had heart attacks, cancer, COPD, and strokes directly related to smoking.

If you smoke, please consider quitting. You will never do a more healthy thing for you or your family.

It is very sad to see the destruction of families caused by smoking like I see every day.

Some random smoking facts:

Cigarettes contain more than 4000 chemical compounds and at least 400 toxic substances.

Research has shown that smoking reduces life expectancy by seven to eight years.

The number of people under the age of 70 who die from smoking-related diseases exceeds the total figure for deaths caused by breast cancer, AIDS, traffic accidents and drug addiction.

Children who grow up in a home where one or both of their parents smoke have twice the risk of getting asthma and asthmatic bronchitis. They also have a higher risk of developing allergies.

Infants under two years old are more prone to severe respiratory infections and cot death.

Ninety percent of lung cancer cases are due to smoking.
If no-one smoked, lung cancer would be a rare diagnosis - only 0.5 per cent of people who've never touched a cigarette develop lung cancer.

As someone who smokes, I do respect this. I also wish people would respect us too. In other words, don't bring your kids to sit on the benchs in the DSA for a break and then give us all evil looks for smoking near your kids.

(I guess I don't know how to quote!!)

My mother is a smoker, and on our last trip she was in one of the smoking areas having a cigarette. All of a sudden, a woman sitting there with a child said, "Do you mind? My son has asthma!" My mother immediatey put out her cigarette, and then said, "Should he be sitting in the smoking area?" The woman just looked at her all flustered and walked away. I'm not a fan of smoking myself... but I was glad that my normally meek mother stood up for herself.

Nonsmokers probably don't realize there are smoking areas in the parks, that is why she was probably so flustered about it. I sure didn't. In NY, there is no smoking allowed in any parks or restaurants or anything. It never occurred to me that there would be smoking allowed anywhere at Disney until I would accidentally walk into a cloud of smoke and see ashtray type things. Also, a lot of amokers also are snokers wherever the heck they feel like it, so that probably makes it even more confusing for nonsmokers to figure out where the smoking areas are and where people are breaking the rules.

quitting is easier than you think it is.

anyone who says they want to quit, but can't, is lying about wanting to quit.

if they wanted to, they could.

it took me a phone call from my mother's pulmonologist telling me that she had mestastitized lung cancer. almost passing out from the call, i walk outside, light up, look down the shaft of the cigarette as i inhaled and said, "This is going to kill your mother." I quit that day and never looked back. She quit 11 years before diagnosis.

Killed her in just a few months.

Please make sure your parents are aware to not slip and accidentally light up in the room. The Disney cleaning fee for this I hear is rather hefty.:scared1:

I used mine in Innoventions sitting right next to a CM. He was amazed lol. There is no policy for it. It's water vapor that disapates rapidly so there's no public risk. In fact that CM plus a few others he had to "show" wished that this was more in the public eye because of the decline risk in secondary exposure.

i didn't know they made vaporizers for cigarettes, too. :rotfl:

i didn't know they made vaporizers for cigarettes, too. :rotfl:

Yep that's all it is is a personal vaporizer. you put a little bit of flavored liquid in a filter and there you go. No fire, no smoke just vapor.

CAREFUL I AM APPROACHING MY SOAP BOX

As a health care professional... (insert a bunch of rhetoric that we all know)
Yes, we get that, it's bad for you. This discussion is not centered on it. We are not debating the pros and cons of smoking here, but merely the location and relative ease to find areas within the parks and resorts for which to practice a choice already made.

There's a bit more I can say on this, but I'll leave it alone before I get tossed out ;). (Suffice to say, I take issues when people force their own personal beliefs in my face)

Although I do not think smelling sigarets is a good idea while try to quit, you are right about people will comment on esigarets. First not everyone even knows what it is and you do not want to explain here and there that you are not causing problems, second CMs may ask you to put it away. There was a thread a while ago about CM asked to put away esigaret b/c of other guests questions, even so CM admited he knows those are harmless.
Any person who is truly bothered by secondhand smoke wouldn't need an explanation because it would be readily apparent by smelling that the person isn't really "smoking." Cigarette smoke causes me respiratory problems and I can smell it a mile away. I smell many smokers long before I see them. If I saw someone with a cigarette that didn't smell, I would make the assumption that it's an ecigarette. I could care less what they do with those since it has no impact on me, and I'm not sure why they would bother anyone else.

On the medical front, here's one of life's ironies: my brother (age 55) has been a heavy smoker since his teens. I figured his lungs had to be black and crispy by now for sure. He recently had a ruptured brain aneurysm and developed pnemonia after the surgery. They x-rayed his lungs and discovered they are freakishly large and extremely healthy, which pulled him through the pnemonia. I never, ever, ever would have guessed that. Sure, smoking isn't good for you but genetics play a big role too.

When we were there in September we saw MANY people walking around the parks smoking. There were also two guests (both women) in our building at POP that continually smoked in non-smoking areas. One smoked right up on the second floor balcony in front of her room, and another hid behind Baloo and Mowgli and smoked there, near the base of the stairwell. ONE of the staff members surely must've seen them at some point, but I guess the penalties are not being strictly enforced.
!

I saw it at Pop too, many people smoke around, but I blame management, there are too few smoking areas and no shade.

I think that we should be encouraging the ecigarettes rather than try to keep them out of sight like something shameful. Sure people will make comments but ignorance should never be a factor in this. JMO.

As for the bit about everyone being able to quit and lying when they say they can't, that's a bit presumptuous. Everyone is different and quitting is harder for some people. I once quit fairly easily while DH has struggled with it for years. I believe that it's extremely hard for him and I don't think he's lying at all.

Any person who is truly bothered by secondhand smoke wouldn't need an explanation because it would be readily apparent by smelling that the person isn't really "smoking." Cigarette smoke causes me respiratory problems and I can smell it a mile away. I smell many smokers long before I see them. If I saw someone with a cigarette that didn't smell, I would make the assumption that it's an ecigarette. I could care less what they do with those since it has no impact on me, and I'm not sure why they would bother anyone else.

On the medical front, here's one of life's ironies: my brother (age 55) has been a heavy smoker since his teens. I figured his lungs had to be black and crispy by now for sure. He recently had a ruptured brain aneurysm and developed pnemonia after the surgery. They x-rayed his lungs and discovered they are freakishly large and extremely healthy, which pulled him through the pnemonia. I never, ever, ever would have guessed that. Sure, smoking isn't good for you but genetics play a big role too.

But the truth is not everyone even know what ecigarette is, I learned about them month or so ago on this board, before I had no idea they exist, so to me it would look like a real thing and so for many others. I recently saw it in a mall and my DD was asking why this person is smoking inside.

BTW, I wonder what is Disney policy on that.

But the truth is not everyone even know what ecigarette is, I learned about them month or so ago on this board, before I had no idea they exist, so to me it would look like a real thing and so for many others. I recently saw it in a mall and my DD was asking why this person is smoking inside.

BTW, I wonder what is Disney policy on that.

There is none. As told to me, "As it is not a hazard to others, there are no measure neccesary to restrict the use of an e-cigarette"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter