• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

smoker in room next door

Status
Not open for further replies.
When we were at POR last Aug, there was a room down the walkway from us that had the room chairs pulled outside, and as far as I could tell, left them out day and night. Did these people ever go to the parks? They were always sitting out there smoking Unfortunatley we had to pass by everytime we wanted to go out to main buildings to food court, etc.
I held my breath every time I passed them. By the 2nd day, when we were at the main building, I lodged a complaint, and it was taken care of immediatley.

Do you know if they simply smoked in their room, or did they move to a smoking area?

My whole thing is Disney made their resorts "smoke free" except for the designated areas. They should then live up to that, or else stop advertising them as such. But, unfortunately, that is typical. Disney is great at having rules, and for a large part, horrible at enforcing those rules.

Its funny that before the smoking ban at resorts no-one had a problem

The smokers were segregated to one building or floor then. There were still some problems when smokers could not get a smoking room.

I think now that smoking is banned pretty much everywhere, non-smokers are more aware of it when they smell it. When I was a kid, my dad smoked at home. I really didn't notice it that much. When he got lung cancer and my mom did not allow him to smoke at home anymore, I became more sensitive to it (you could tell he smoked when he was out, you could smell it on him).

Does anyone besides me think it's time for a moderator to close this thread? Sounds like it's beginning to get nasty and confrontational.

Really? I thought the connecting doors were always on the wall opposite the beds, not the same wall as the headboards. Is it different at POR?

We were in a connecting room at CBR earlier this year & the connecting door was right next to our headboard.

Our headboards were on the same side as the adjoining door. We sneaked a peek in the "smoker's room" while the blinds were open and their headboards were against the same wall.

Isn't this a safety violation? Doesn't Disney get cheaper insurance rates for having nonsmoking rooms? If a fire broke out wouldn't Disney be responsible for allowing these people to stay in the room? I know there are smoke detectors and sprinklers in the room but can you imagine if they failed ! I know I know alot of what ifs .

While all Disney resorts are supposed to be entirely smoke-free,...
Many companies along with Disney make this false claim, if their truly smoke free, there would be no smoking designated areas in the parks or resorts.

Its funny that before the smoking ban at resorts no-one had a problem
Actually, Disney moved to respond to the demands of their guest who were requesting non-smoking rooms beyond the number of rooms that were available at the time, coupled with complaint levels by those assigned to smoking rooms when no non-smoking rooms were available. It is also cheaper to manage operational cost within smoke free facilities.

I think families that encounter these types of situations should be respectful to Disney Staff while also letting them know this is unacceptable and the incident has lessen your families magical vacation as it is not the responsibility to manage their property. Disney needs to manage their property and standards. I have stayed at Marriott resorts which are truly smoke free and have never encountered an issue. Like some others have stated...Disney should provide some level of good will to resolve...new room with upgrade view, etc.

Earlier this month I ran into this problem at Pop Century. The people in the 2 rooms next to us were smoking outside the rooms and our room immediately smelled of smoke. I called security to complain and within 15 minutes someone knocked on their doors and talked to them. We never had another problem, but if it had continued, I couldn't have stayed in the room - the smell was horrible. I guess I got lucky that security handled it and the other guests complied.

kaytieeldr said:
While all Disney resorts are supposed to be entirely smoke-free,...
MissionMouse said:
Many companies along with Disney make this false claim, if their truly smoke free, there would be no smoking designated areas in the parks or resorts.
Excuse me. Let me clarify: ALL DISNEY RESORT ROOMS AND BUILDINGS are supposed to entirely smoke-free.

Note, please, I'm not talking about the 43 square mile Walt Disney World Resort; I thought "all Disney resorts" was specific enough - especially since this is the Resorts board.

Actually, Disney moved to respond to the demands of their guest who were requesting non-smoking rooms beyond the number of rooms that were available at the time, coupled with complaint levels by those assigned to smoking rooms when no non-smoking rooms were available. It is also cheaper to manage operational cost within smoke free facilities.
Actually, before the smoking ban in the resort rooms/buildings, less than 20% of rooms were designated as smoking. Since slightly more than 20% of Americans, and a higher rate of international visitors, smoke, it's more unusual than not that a non-smoker would be assigned to a smoking-acceptable room.

I have literally walked in a room, smelled cigarette smoke in the air and on the coverlets and walked right out.
Got a different room.................

I have NO tolerance for smoke when I am paying to stay somewhere, did the Cancer thing once and ONCE was more than enough for me.............Smoke smell in a room makes me CRAZY.....just do NOT tolerate...:headache:

Ucky. I definitely feel for the OP. That would definitely have ticked me off. I'm sorry you and anyone else who had or has to go through that.

I beleive they fine people who smoke in their rooms 200 or, so bucks. WDW is going to do what is in their best interest. In your case, move you, and tell them to stop, maybe fine them. They could have very well stopped after you moved rooms, but I doubt it. It's not in WDW best interest to kick out someone who brakes the rules. First, they would have to give that person a refund, second, what if the person flew, and can't catch a plane for another week?, and finally the leave mad, and go home, and spread the word to family, and friends. WDW would rather just move you, and deal with the people who are smoking.

It pisses me off to no end when people smoke where they are not supposed to. Just today, my aunt lit up a stupid ciggarette right next to dd2, made me mad. Dh insist he is going to smoke on our balcony at wdw, but he will not, or I will kick him out of our room!

It sucks you had to go through that, but I can understand why disney didn't kick those people out.

My whole thing is Disney made their resorts "smoke free" except for the designated areas. They should then live up to that, or else stop advertising them as such. But, unfortunately, that is typical. Disney is great at having rules, and for a large part, horrible at enforcing those rules.

We recently stayed at Paradise Pier and the Disneyland Hotel at DLR. These so-called smoke free hotels allowed people to smoke just about everywhere outside. There were ashtrays galore in the pool area at the PP. :eek: It was totally disgusting.:mad::mad:

If you're going to advertise yourselves as a smoke free facility, then have the guts to make it 100% smoke free. Other hotels manage it, why can't Disney?:confused3

This is just one of the reasons we'll never return to these hotels. (The DL Hotel is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in anyway, anywhere in the world).

I guess I got lucky that security handled it and the other guests complied.

I don't think it's all luck. I think it has to do with the management team at each resort, and how they choose to enforce the rules and take care of these kinds of situations. I've stayed at Disney resorts when they have had management teams that didn't appear to care all that much about what was going on, and it showed. It was also very apparent when the management team changed - it's like night and day.

From all the complaints I've been reading about POR (not just this issue) I would say that their management team either needs to get their act together or be replaced. They obviously don't have a good handle on the resort and what it takes to keep the guests happy, so they don't go home and post on websites like the DIS about their problems with the resort. I've stayed at POR and had great vacations, but until I stop reading so many negative posts, POR won't be on my short list of possible resort stays any time soon.

We won't be staying at POR anymore for a this reason and the bus system. I am sure it has nothing to do with POR management but the transportation dept. It seems we were always filled to brim on buses and in lines. I don't recall having that problem at All Stars or Poly.

I'm a smoker and I agree with all of you. We recently stayed at AKV back in March and there were some people smoking on their balconies. I'll admit..that I thought about it, but realized that I might get in my in-laws in trouble..room was in their name(DVC owners) and I didn't want that to happen. PLus..I seen some other people go down to smoke and I decided to join.

It was fun!! I got a beer or two from the bar and then went outside to have a smoke. It was peaceful and relaxing.

As a matter of fact, the very first time I went down, I got lost finding the smoking area. I went as far away from the people, only to have the secuirty guard find me. He was extremely nice about it. He noticed that I had been looking for about ten mins where to go. If I would've walked about 500 more feet, I would've found it!!LOL!!!:rotfl: But, he was very accomidating and said that at least once..sometimes twice..a day, he has to do that. He said that he just didn't seen the reason to get mad a people..especially if you don't know that it's their first time or not being there at that resort. I thanked him for his kindness and had no trouble the rest of the time.

To the OP: I'm sorry about what happened because I'd be mad,too!!! But, not all of us smokers are bad people. I pretty much know where all the smoking places are now and in most cases, I just wait to get back to the resort and go smoke there. So..I apologize on behalf of the "good" smokers everywhere!!!;) We're not all evil!!! LOL!!!

awww thanks Baby1! I know all smokers aren't bad. Thank you for being so considerate of others.

My sister is a smoker and she tries to very considerate of me and my children. You see, I was diagnosed with throat cancer 5 years ago. I have never been a smoker or alcoholic drinker but for some reason I got that cancer at the young age of 32 and PREGNANT. So I have been there and done that. I dont' want a reoccurence or my children affected.

There is supposed to be a fine of I think $250. I am not sure if they actually charge it in most cases though.

I thought I read where it was around $500.

Does anyone besides me think it's time for a moderator to close this thread? Sounds like it's beginning to get nasty and confrontational.

I actually thought the discussion was staying pretty civil.

I'm a smoker and I agree with all of you. We recently stayed at AKV back in March and there were some people smoking on their balconies. I'll admit..that I thought about it, but realized that I might get in my in-laws in trouble..room was in their name(DVC owners) and I didn't want that to happen. PLus..I seen some other people go down to smoke and I decided to join.

It was fun!! I got a beer or two from the bar and then went outside to have a smoke. It was peaceful and relaxing.

As a matter of fact, the very first time I went down, I got lost finding the smoking area. I went as far away from the people, only to have the secuirty guard find me. He was extremely nice about it. He noticed that I had been looking for about ten mins where to go. If I would've walked about 500 more feet, I would've found it!!LOL!!!:rotfl: But, he was very accomidating and said that at least once..sometimes twice..a day, he has to do that. He said that he just didn't seen the reason to get mad a people..especially if you don't know that it's their first time or not being there at that resort. I thanked him for his kindness and had no trouble the rest of the time.

To the OP: I'm sorry about what happened because I'd be mad,too!!! But, not all of us smokers are bad people. I pretty much know where all the smoking places are now and in most cases, I just wait to get back to the resort and go smoke there. So..I apologize on behalf of the "good" smokers everywhere!!!;) We're not all evil!!! LOL!!!

You are a considerate smoker.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter