Small contract question

cascadecupcake

Disney Lovin' Michigander
I check the resale sites often and from time to time I see less that 150 points listed. Can I buy those? Or do I have to only pick something small like that to use as an add-on?

In other words...

Can I own 150 BCV and buy a small 50 point contract at VWL?

If I can, can I then transfer points between the two accounts? I'm just thinking this would be a good way to go if you wanted to make sure you could book 11 months out at either resort.

Thanks for any info you can give on this!:D

Originally posted by cascadecupcake
I check the resale sites often and from time to time I see less that 150 points listed. Can I buy those? Or do I have to only pick something small like that to use as an add-on?

In other words...

Can I own 150 BCV and buy a small 50 point contract at VWL?

Yes, you can. Many DVC members own small contracts at resorts other than the resort they first purchased.

If I can, can I then transfer points between the two accounts? I'm just thinking this would be a good way to go if you wanted to make sure you could book 11 months out at either resort.

Thanks for any info you can give on this!:D

You can use the 11 month window at both resorts, but only to the extent you own points at the resort. You can transfer points between contracts, but they still retain their resort identification.

For example, you can make a reservation at VWL at the 11 month window as long as it costs 50 points or less. (If you use banking and borrowing, you could have up to 150 points of home resort advantage). If the VWL reservation takes more points than you own at VWL, you would have to wait for the 7 month window to open to complete the reservation using your BCV points.

Do you have to have the same use year in order to add on these points? For example, if I have a use year of April and own at BCV can I add on 100 points at HH with a June use year.

Originally posted by vanstoj
Do you have to have the same use year in order to add on these points? For example, if I have a use year of April and own at BCV can I add on 100 points at HH with a June use year.

If you buy a resale contract, you may purchase whatever you like (as long as Disney doesn't exercise its ROFR - Right of First Refusal).

If you buy from Disney, you must buy the same use year as your original purchase unless you buy at least 150 points. As far as I know, Disney won't deviate from that policy, but there may have been an exception or two reported. Can't quite recall.

Originally posted by vanstoj
There is no requirement to have 150 points or more, only that DVC themselves will not sell less than 150 as an original contract. A number have bought a contract as their first one resale for less than 100 points. It was previously more likely for DVC to excercise their ROFR in this situation but it appears they have gotten away from that. whether the recent changes we've seen in the buy backs will affect this, I don't know. If I were DVC I'd buy any contract less than 150 points not going to a member who already has that use year. I'd do this for administrative reasons as there's an inherent cost to each contract, especially a single contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter