Slow Cooker Recipe Ideas?

Bolanette87

<font color=deeppink>The Queen Bee<br><font color=
I've had a fancy for a slow cooker for a while now (And as we're moving into our own place in a couple of weeks time, I figure it'll be very useful!) and my Mum just managed to snare me a bargain one from Speed Auction TV (£8.03!!!!). I was just wondering if any DISers had any suggestions on what to cook in it? I've got a few recipes already, but I know you guys are always full of ideas!

Bob xoxoxoxox

Just used my slow cooker to do the tea. Chicken with 40, yes 40 cloves of garlic. It was delicious. You are supposed to use the garlic to spread on bread after cooking but not keen on it myself like that. The chicken is even nicer the day after on sandwiches. You just place a whole chicken on top of two chopped sticks of celery in the slow cooker and place the garlic around, no need to peel it. After 5-6 hours its done. Not much use though if your not keen on garlic as it is very strong tasting.:thumbsup2

Just used my slow cooker to do the tea. Chicken with 40, yes 40 cloves of garlic. It was delicious. You are supposed to use the garlic to spread on bread after cooking but not keen on it myself like that. The chicken is even nicer the day after on sandwiches. You just place a whole chicken on top of two chopped sticks of celery in the slow cooker and place the garlic around, no need to peel it. After 5-6 hours its done. Not much use though if your not keen on garlic as it is very strong tasting.:thumbsup2

That sounds perfect.... We're HUGE garlic fans!! I didn't realise it could be made in the slow cooker.... Fab!! Thanks! :thumbsup2

Bob xoxoxoxox

Hi Bob
If you PM me your email address I have got a 70 page email recipe book for slow cookers that I can send you. :goodvibes
Gems

Hi Bob
If you PM me your email address I have got a 70 page email recipe book for slow cookers that I can send you. :goodvibes
Gems

Oh how wonderful!! Thank you so much Gems!!! :hug: Off to PM you now!

Bob xoxoxoxox

I've a slow cooker that I hardly use, just for the normal stews so any hints of recipes would be great here too.

I used to use mine a lot when I worked full time, although I only ever cooked stews, spag bol & chilli in it.

All I did is chuck all the ingredients in the pot and switch it on in the morning on the lowest setting then it was done when I got in at 6ish. :thumbsup2

Oooh this is the perfect thread! My gran has just bought me a slow cooker, I have NEVER used one and have no idea where to even start with one!
So any help in this thread would be appreciated by me too :goodvibes

I've just made a vegetable curry in mine. (When I say just it's been cooking all day.) Very easy...

Can of chopped tomatoes,
mug full of stock (oxo),
packet of chopped stew veg from Tesco (450g),
tablespoon curry powder (more if you like it hot).
All chucked in together and cooked on low all day. Very nice with some rice (and very low cal.)

Used ours yesterday, did beef stew. Chucked in braising beef, diced potatoes, carrots, swede, onion, added water and left on high for 6 hrs. Added dumplings for the last 30 mins. Was gorgeous. Had the rest tonight with rice.

Don't really know what else to do in it, so will be watching this thread with interest!!!

Thanks for that link Nicky, I will be printing some of those recipes off.:thumbsup2

For year's I have just used the bog standard recipe book that came with my slow cooker, stews and the like. I just bought a book from Lakeland which has loads of slow cooking recipes in which I fancy trying.

Certainly cooks the meat beautifully.

I'm dead excited for getting my slow cooker now!! :banana: We're getting the keys to our first ever house this weekend, so I reckon it'll get a lot of use!!!

According to my friend, slow cookers make AMAZING curries... Anyone else heard this?

Bob xoxoxox

I have made tattie soup in mine. Thought I would chuck the ingredients in and let it cook overnight but the lovely smell kept wakening us up through the night. Was so thick though that you could stand a spoon in it.

Guess who had tattie soup one Saturday morning at 8.00 am for breakfast:rolleyes1

There are loads of recipes on this blog http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

I love cooking a leg of lamb in mine, literally put it in the slow cooker with a little water and 6 ish hours later you have melt in the mouth meat! I also put in a cheap joint of beef, some stock, bay leave and herbs. After about 5 hours remove meat, get rid of any fat, shred the meat and return to the slow cooker for another hour. It's great with roast potatoes and veg but my US friends eat it in hogie rolls!

Good thread, and some nice sounding ideas so far! Anyone have any vegetarian recipes that have worked well for them? Much as I like the sound of the meat ones my bf wouldn't be too impressed and I couldn't eat the lot myself even as leftovers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter