slo’s TUESDAY 8/16 poll - Tylenol vs Advil vs Aleve vs Aspirin

Pain Relievers - Which ones do you use? (M.C.)

• Aspirin

Votes: 11 9.3%
  • Advil / Ibuprofen

Votes: 80 67.8%
  • Aleve / Naproxen

Votes: 20 16.9%
  • Tylenol / Acetaminophen

Votes: 55 46.6%
  • One of the above for the PM / sleep aide

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Another over the counter pain reliever not listed

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • None of the above - I don’t take over the counter pain relievers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above - I don’t take ANY pain relievers

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters
They both have warnings.

And both are not to be used by people with certain health conditions. Acetaminophen is in recent-ish study not as innocuous as once thought either.

Both have different uses. A doctor should be prescribing ibuprofen so long as a patient can take it for anti-inflammatory things. Like my mom for instance after her knee replacement surgery (both one) she was prescribed oxycotin (IIRC) but also to take Advil/Ibuprofen in between because ibuprofen helps with that. Tylenol would have been the incorrect medication both for pain relief and her situation post surgery.

The thing is your doctor shouldn't be prescribing just one medication in a universal way. They should be taking into consideration the pre-existing health of the patient, their age, and the reasons for their visit or pain.

Ibuprofen is the same as Acetaminophen in terms of dosage. Higher dosages and chronic usage of them can lead to health issues. It's why the advice is always to take as little/low dosage for the shortest time as needed.

I'm sure for you and your doctor it may have been finding out their patients, including you, were taking too high of a dosage or in a chronic way which builds and builds. This is the same for both medication. One of the biggest dangers is people not realizing how much other things contain acetaminophen because I think we're more used to warnings about NSAIDs. You have to be very careful to not end up with too high of a dosage daily if taking it separately and then taking medication with it.
Like I said before, since I don't take anything, doesn't matter. But NSAIDS are out.

Like I said before, since I don't take anything, doesn't matter. But NSAIDS are out.
Maybe it doesn't matter to you but I'm responding to what you said about the medication since you were speaking in a generalized way and listed that your doctors were taking a generalized approach.

I’m supposed to avoid Aleve as much as possible, but do use it before golf …works great. I rarely take pain relievers for anything else -maybe a couple times a year at the most, and for that I take a couple Tylenol

Maybe it doesn't matter to you but I'm responding to what you said about the medication since you were speaking in a generalized way and listed that your doctors were taking a generalized approach.
I understand. But I think many Doctors feel the same as I am being advised.

Tylenol is my go-to, as I have thin blood, so too much Advil or aspirin can be dangerous. I do take an occasional Advil if it is purposely to prevent swelling from an injury rather than just block pain.

This thread to start with.
Many doctors? There's over a million doctors in the U.S. No representation on the DIS in 3 pages no less is ever going to give you "many doctors". My comment was doctors should be taking into consideration their patients, each individually. That should not be controversial or something to debate about. Have a good night :)

Many doctors? There's over a million doctors in the U.S. No representation on the DIS in 3 pages no less is ever going to give you "many doctors". My comment was doctors should be taking into consideration their patients, each individually. That should not be controversial or something to debate about. Have a good night :)
No I agree, the individual situation should be first priority. But NSAIDs are kind of frowned upon these days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!