• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

slo’s SUNDAY 4/22 poll - Driving to High School

Did YOU drive to high school?

• Yes - every day - I had my own car

Votes: 28 29.5%
  • Yes - every day - I drove a family car

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • Yes - sometimes - when I had to stay after school

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Yes - sometimes - when I had to go early to school

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - other reason - please post what

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No - I wasn’t allowed - why?

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • No - I didn’t have a vehicle

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • No - the school didn’t allow student drivers

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • No - other reason - please post what

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
Keeping with the high school theme in honor of my DD18 graduating on Wednesday….

Did YOU, yourself in your car or family car, drive to high school?

For Me…..Never
My parents gave me a used car, but I wasn‘t allowed to drive it to school. They said their taxes pay for bus service, so I had to use that 🙄. This did not make me happy at all :sad2:. Luckily my BF (now DH) was allowed to drive to school so he took me.

128CE319-2643-4D19-8ACF-3B53321609BC.png

My school didn't allow student drivers by default-no parking lot. I took a bus and subway to get to school every day. My school handed out free bus tokens every week to students who commuted.

No. I did not have my own car so I either rode the bus or sometimes a friend would pick me up.

My girls drive to school. Youngest DD is already looking for a ride for next year. Middle DD who has been driving her graduates and youngest DD won’t even be eligible to get her license until early March. About 75% of the school year is done at that point. I tell her all the time that the big yellow bus rolls past the house everyday, but she rolls her eyes.

I graduated when I was 14, so not old enough to drive myself. I did have a weird/embarrassing situation to navigate regarding cars though. I was lying about my age at the school's recommendation, so I could have a "normal" high school experience. Senior year, I had first period free along with most of the rich/popular kids (which I was NOT). We had to be on campus for homeroom, so we would either hang out in Senior Lounge that period or go get breakfast somewhere. I ended up becoming friends with that group. So one day I walked into Senior Lounge and one of the guys tossed me the keys to his brand new, fully loaded BMW, and asked me to go pick up breakfast. Everybody in that group was in the same second period class and they had a big test coming up. I don't remember what I said to get out of it, but I had never even sat behind the wheel of any car before. It was awkward lol

I lived in the neighborhood across the street from my high school. The student parking lot was beyond the soccer fields out back. It was a longer walk from there than from my house.

I alternated days with a friend of mine. We took turns driving each day.

As soon as my boys were old enough they drove themselves to school. We didn’t have bussing (at least nothing convenient), so otherwise I drove them on my way to work. We bought them each a car - older son’s car still is going strong, 6 years after we bought it used.

No. Grew up in NYC so I took the subway to school. There was no parking lot or anything like that so no one drove. But as an aside I didn’t get my license until after I graduated anyway. Didn’t need one at that point in my life. Mostly used public transportation or car service. My bff did have her license and a car so I did travel around with her at that time which was convenient.

I was a 5 minute walk from the HS, our town doesn’t have buses because the junior/high schools are in the center of town and everyone is within 1 1/2 miles. Our HS doesn’t have parking for students so either pay $50 a month for municipal parking or try to find on street parking.

I took the bus for 10th, maybe 11th grade. I have no recollection of how I got to school my senior year, I certainly didn't drive.

Didn't drive myself, didn't have a car. Most of my friends didn't. I did get a car as my graduation present, and took it to college. Didn't drive at all in high school. Either bus, especially in the AM, sometimes ride with boyfriend, or often mom drove, especially if we had after school band practice. school was just over 5 miles away

Other. Sometimes during senior year, and it's kind of a sore subject. (Never let it be said that I can't hold a grudge!)

It goes back to 8th grade. Being on safety patrol (crossing guards at intersections around the school) was a *big* deal and almost all the 8th graders participated. Except me. I wasn't allowed to participate because I had to ride the bus home (I'd miss the bus if I was in safety patrol). I begged to be allowed to be on safety patrol but to no avail. At the end of the year, the safety patrol got a during-school fun outing as a "thank you" from the school for their service. I had to sit, along with the one other kid who didn't participate, in the 7th grade classroom and do busy work while they all went to a movie and bowling.

I also wasn't allowed to drive in high school because I didn't "need to." Even when I participated in marching band I'd need to sit at the school till 5:30 pm when my mom got off work and could come pick me up. On days without any activities, I had to ride the bus. (I went to Catholic school and lived about 15 miles from the school.)

When my sister was in 8th grade, I was a senior. My parents decided that safety patrol was an important part of the 8th grade experience, so *she* was allowed to participate. As a consolation prize, I guess, I was allowed to drive to school senior year but ONLY on days when my sister had safety patrol (so I could pick her up and drive her home -- because she was too young to sit on the school steps for hours waiting for my parents to get off work).

So I was allowed to drive to school sometimes... but only during senior year, and only when MY SISTER had after school activities. :( :(

The second I passed my driving test and got my license my parents bought me a used car in HS. Brown hatchback Toyota Celica. That beater got me all over the state of CA, driving back and forth to Dland for work and through college in LA.

Each of our kids received hand-me-down cars. They drove them all through HS and college (like mama) and then traded them in for a new car when they had a “real” job and had the budget for a payment.

The high school by our house doesn't have a parking lot for students. It is also next to a subway station so there is no on street parking available. You have to get dropped off, take the subway, or take a city bus.

i rode the bus before I got my license. There were a lot of bullies on that bus. It picked up kids from a neighborhood far away and then picked me up as almost an afterthought since it had to drive by my house to get to the school. The bus driver told me in front of the other kids that it was a waste of her time to pick me up, and one time another kid on the bus pulled a knife on me. As soon as I could drive to school, I did. My dad let me drive the old car he had been driving and he bought a newer one. It was still registered to my parents though.

Took the city bus downtown which we paid for
Had to walk about a mile to the school
Not fun in inclement weather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter