slo’s MONDAY 5/27 poll - Memorial Day - Let’s Remember Our Fallen (all countries welcome)

Did you know anyone that died in active military service & who were they? (m.c.)

• Yes - I did know someone that died in active military service

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • No - I did not know someone that died in active military service

Votes: 35 67.3%
  • My Parent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Spouse

• My Child

• My Extended Family Member

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • My Friend

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Someone I Knew (acquaintance)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Another person not mentioned above

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

slo

My tag used to say - I'm a Tonga Toast Junkie 😁
As many know….today is Memorial Day in the USA, which is a day that we remember those that died in active military service. I want this poll open to ALL people in ALL countries. So, please share with us today….

Did you have anyone in your life that died in active military service?
If yes….who?
(multiple choice)

*Thank you to ALL that served their country, and thank you to ALL the family and friends that supported them. Please take some time today to think of these people.

For Me……I have family and friends that are veterans, but none that passed away in active military service.

IMG_1718.jpeg

I didn't know him but a friend's older brother was killed in the Vietnam War.

Huge thank you with all my heart to those who have (and currently are serving) served and their families. God Bless You all.

The son of a friend of mine was killed in Ukraine a little over a year ago on a mission to transfer military equipment and supplies. Canada is not "officially" involved in the conflict, but things like this happen far more often than anyone knows and the heroes remain largely unrecognized. :sad1:

Personally, I do not know anyone who has lost a loved one during service.
To all who have lost someone, my heart is with you today! And to all who are still with us- thank you for your service!

WE were just talking about family service a few days ago. My husband had many family members serve. He had a great uncle who was given a medal on the battlefield. He served during WW1, WW2 and Korean war. I met him only once 38 yrs ago. He died at 95 yrs. and I will always remember him!

Honoring and remembering those who served, and those who did not return.

I have never known anybody personally who died in active military service.

We have a lot of retired and active military in our family, going back generations. Although some have been injured, I am not aware of any who died during active service. I did have an uncle who died years later as a result of chemical exposure during active duty in the 1960’s-70’s.

My father’s cousin’s son was killed in action in Vietnam. I met him a few times at weddings or other family events.

About 10 years ago I found where his name was etched onto the wall at the Vietnam Memorial in DC.

While we have many vets in our family, we don’t know anyone personally who has died while serving. Grateful to all military members!

I didn't know him, but my great-grandmother's love was killed on Guadalcanal in WW II. He didn't have any family, so she received his Purple Heart and letter of condolence. His photo is tucked into the medal case. I still have a silk pillowcase that he bought for her. She had two grown sons by the time she was involved with him (he was much younger than she was,) and they were in the navy during WW II but came through okay.

I work with military and some of them were later killed in action. I also work with dependents of military killed in action. It's probably the most fulfilling part of my job.

I've probably told this story here before, but while doing genealogy research I learned of a great-great grandfather who fought for the Union in the Civil War. He came home on leave and was captured by Confederate guerrillas while home. He was sent back through the Confederate lines to a Confederate prison camp, where he died in December 1864 of disease. He might've made it through the war if he hadn't come home on leave.

Marie's mom (my late mother-in-law) lost her first husband on a B-17 bombing raid over Germany. They were married and he was sent overseas to England a week later. Killed soon after. His body was returned to Illinois about 20 years ago and buried downstate Illinois.

A school mate of mine, Marine 1st LT Patrick Scully, was killed in Vietnam, Quang Tri, 1968, 23 years old. It was quite sobering, sad to see his name on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in DC, on a trip there about 15 years ago. Virtual Wall

Silver Star Citation:

The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Silver Star to First Lieutenant Patrick R. Scully, Jr. (MCSN: 0-101464), United States Marine Corps, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving as a Platoon Commander with Company K, Third Battalion, Ninth Marines, THIRD Marine Division (Rein.), FMF, in connection with combat operations against the enemy in the Republic of Vietnam. On 17 July 1968, First Lieutenant Scully was deploying his men to establish a portion of the company defensive perimeter when he was informed of enemy activity to his immediate front. With complete disregard for his own safety, he unhesitatingly moved to a forward vantage point to pinpoint the hostile movement. When his company subsequently came under attack by an estimated North Vietnamese Army company, he steadfastly remained in his exposed position and reported the precise location and size of the enemy unit to his company commander. Undaunted by a heavy volume of hostile fire, he resolutely continued his determined efforts until he was mortally wounded. His heroic and timely actions undoubtedly prevented numerous casualties and enabled his company to subsequently repulse the enemy attack. By his courage, bold initiative and unwavering devotion to duty, First Lieutenant Scully inspired all who served with him and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and of the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

My great uncle (maternal grandmother’s brother) was a pilot. He was shot down over Germany in WWII. Sadly, it took many decades to confirm this information. I believe even my grandmother had passed by the time the family got valid confirmation on his death and specific details surrounding his passing. This all happened well before I was born, but due to the long term missing status, it was a fairly regular topic of discussion.

Thankful to all those that have served and paid the ultimate price for our freedom 🇺🇸

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter