Slinky Dog RD

DisneFamily

Earning My Ears
Who has rope dropped Slinky Dog Dash?
Unfortunately, I am unable to get a FP for myself and DS7. What can I expect as a rough estimate for wait time? Is it even going to be possible? What is my best path?

We did last fall. Be at the turnstile about an hour before opening time. We were let in at 8:30 to Sunset BLVD and held there. At 8:40 multiple CMs walked the mob to TSL. Move quickly as many try and get ahead of everyone but the CMs. We had a 5 minutes wait at SDD. Doubt it has gotten any better. And if CMs don't walk the group, it would be ugly.

I have twice.
First time I never stopped until I entered the ride vehicle.
Second time it was maybe an 8 minute wait.
Yes its easily possible especially if you arrive 30-45 minutes prior to opening.
The best path to take is the only path you can take as CM's lead the path.

We were at the park for rope drop(first week of Dec), not at the front so took about 5mins to get into park, we headed for TSL to ride TSMM and passed the queue for SD it was 75min. As PP has said you need to be at rope drop early to be at the front to ensure a shorter wait whilst in the park, but which ever way you look at it you will be waiting an hr whether that's in the park or waiting to get into the park. I can see the appeal of waiting outside the park as then the time waiting doesn't cut into your park time. Don't forget to keep checking for FP though its still possible to get one.

We RD'd Toy Story Land about 3 weeks ago and it was somewhat of a mob scene. There's another thread on this Forum from a couple of weeks ago about how crazy RD is at DHS. We arrived about 45 minutes before park opening and there was already a long 'line' ahead of us. When they let us through the turnstiles, people were rushing, some literally running, every which way to get ahead and the line becomes non-existent. Since my brother was in an ECV, we walked purposely, but not recklessly, and by the time we got to SDD there was a 60 minute wait. Fortunately, we had FPs for SDD and headed to TSM instead and there was at most a 5 minute wait.

If you don't move fast, you may be better going at the end of the night. They will inflate the wait times but it will probably be about half the wait time posted

I have done it several times and it is doable but not fun. Even if you are super early and near the front once the CM's start walking you back people start pushing and running to get ahead. People will step on you or ram you with their strollers. I have never waited more than 15 mins at RD though. The RD experience at FOP is far superior to SDD.

You definitely want to be there very early and be at the front of the rope drop line. We were there at rope drop, but not in the front of the line as we had SDD FP for a different day- we still headed back with the crowd to Toy Story Land, because we wanted to do TSM and we figured that if we got there before the line was absolutely terrible we MIGHT get in line for SDD. Even being there when the gates opened and moving at a quick pace-- but not being in the front of the rope drop group and not doing the SDD dash--- the line was already 90 minutes when we got back there. On the bright side, we walked on to TSM.

Just don't. Come back to the ride towards park closing. Refresh MDE to see if you can get lucky. But dont RD. Its such an uncontrolled mob scene that you can be the the first person in line at 5am and unless you're discourteous, run when you shouldn't, and push others you won't be first in line once you get to SDD.

We rope dropped Slinky on Sunday. We got to HS at 8:25, waited with the mobs of people inside the park until 9. Then walked back to Slinky Dog. Got there by 9:05, were on Slinky Dog at 9:50. So 45 minute wait.

If its an option for you financially /dates line up, I'd recommend doing EMM... the relief of not having to worry about whether or not we'll get on it and lines was well worth it. The RD mob that barreled in as we were leaving TSL was straight up bonkers

I'll share my thoughts after "accidentally" RDing Slinky Dog (meaning I didn't intend to RD it until I was already there and said "why not?") this past week in heavy crowds.

My first recommendation: don't. It's the most chaotic and aggressive RD I've done (and that's coming from someone who routinely RDs FoP and has described on these boards some of the crimes against humanity that I've seen there). My personal theory is that the more wide-open space you have to traverse with the RD crowd, the worse the experience - and there is almost nothing but wide open space on that trek back to Slinky Dog - by way of comparison, RD for FoP becomes relatively tame once everyone is funneled into Pandora's narrow paths - although getting through the choke points are not for the faint of heart).

If you're going to do it, though, here's my experience that somehow landed me on the second train out of the station without any thought or planning whatsoever (just note YMMV): arriving about 45 minutes before opening to find that the crowd was already stacked up waiting to enter the hub even though it was raining, I did the only sane thing and got coffee. Exiting Starbucks, stayed outside the entrance at the top of the stairs (under cover from the rain) as more people had funneled in. Figuring that it was too far back to expect a decent RD showing for SDD (and being stuck on portico and not even on the street), began wondering if heading down Sunset for those rides was the better option. They released early and the human shield of CMs began walking the masses back towards the Chinese theater and into the center of the hub. A small group of us stayed on the right flank and peeled off further right to go down the narrow path beside the Brown Derby (which no one was taking) - we arrived at the end before the main group was even in sight. Now - there were CMs there and they held us - but only until the main group caught up, where we were released to join the front of the pack (which was very easy since they didn't take the group down the stairs by the Chinese theater, but perpendicular to us through the arch into the Disney Jr. Plaza and then turned left to continue beside Ariel's theater). Then it was just keeping up with the crowd. Jostling, shouldering, ankle bites, bumping and the like ensue all around as there's nowhere for anyone to go (and I hope most of it accidental but I can't be sure). Some of us drifted across to the middle or left flank heading into TSL - which turned out okay since the right flank gets pinched on that last hard turn right to enter the SDD queue - that apparently is supposed to follow the umbrellas, which I think I saw more people run into than I have ever seen any group of people run into a row of umbrellas in plain sight. The narrow path did provide some order finally - so then we were all bunched up waiting for the queue to open and could become fast friends commiserating over the experience we'd all just been through - it was magical. I will say that a family at the front with the rest of us had started on the left flank - so the moral is probably "stay on a flank" and don't get caught in the middle (which is good advice anyway to avoid the worst of the crush).

Finally, while there were no shortage of kids in the group and they all seemed to do okay from what I saw, I saw plenty of parents stressed by that experience.

I rope dropped TSL on an EMH day. I was going to do SDD first even with all the craziness I’ve seen reported but I changed plans about a week before trip. I had 2 kids with me and it was not worth the anxiety. Plus, I had a FP for SDD at 6:15pm so I decided to go to TSM and then do AS2. Worked out great for us. We headed to TOT and RnR around 8:30 am and on the way we walked by a REALLY LONG line for SDD. I realize most of those people probably didn’t have FP so it makes sense for them to try RD. Right before closing just seems like a better option. On a different day we rode it at night and I really enjoyed it with all the lights lit up.

Also,
I just cannot believe the madness I witnessed from people trying to get ahead of others for Slinky. It felt much more relaxed to be walking at a reasonable pace to TSM and it was practically a walk on. It definitely was not more than 5 minutes and was probably just the walk from the entrance to the ride.

The main positive about RD SDD is that the CMs walk you back there. Even when people try to take "alternate" paths, CMs will stop them and hold them back. It is difficult to stay up with the front of the line, even if you get there early. We got there about 45 minutes before park opening (I think?), and we were close enough to see the CMs, but by the time we got back to the ride, we still waited 25-30 minutes.

AK was a whole other story - in a good way!

We did it last October and I will never RD Slinky Dog again. It is pure madness. I would compare our experience to the running of the bulls.

I RD-ed SDD once. I will never do that again. I can't believe how people act. You'd think they were giving out Gold Bars! I have an upcoming trip in April and was not able to get a FP. I will not ride SDD this trip. My life will go on fine. IT'S a RIDE !

I RD-ed SDD once. I will never do that again. I can't believe how people act. You'd think they were giving out Gold Bars! I have an upcoming trip in April and was not able to get a FP. I will not ride SDD this trip. My life will go on fine. IT'S a RIDE !

I hear RD is the worst in HS. :sad2: Someone else explained that it's because the majority of people at RD are there for SDD. They don't filter off elsewhere. I'm told the other parks are much smoother. I've done RD numerous times at MK, EPCOT, and AK ( before Pandora), so I'm not too worried. :o

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter