Sleepless at the Yacht Club

camdensmom

DIS Veteran
It's 11 p.m. and I am lying in bed at the Yacht Club and can't sleep because it is so loud!

We checked in and were given a very rundown looking room on the first floor. The carpet was bubbled, the shower was stained and the decor was dated. Those things didn't bother me. However, my problem was that the room hadn't been cleaned. There was a candy wrapper and a tissue on the floor along with a water bottle cap in the middle of the rug and a potato chip with a bite out of it. There was also 2 strands of hair in the shower and a used wine glass left on the floor by the door.

The manager at the desk could not have been nicer. He was apologetic and fixed the situation immediately by moving us into one of the newly remodeled rooms.

It is beautiful and I immediately noted the floors were wood/laminate instead of carpet. I LOVED that because hotel rugs are gross.

I've now discovered the downside to the lack of carpet. IT. IS. SO. LOUD!

This room has a connecting door to the room next to it and I can hear every word of their conversation as if they are in the room. I can also hear the room on the other side of us (loud, but more muffled) and the people of above us as well as water running and toilets flushing.

When people walk down the hall they can be heard outside the doors as well (although there is plush carpeting in the hallways).

Anyhow, I'm not so much complaining but did feel it was worth mentioning to give others a heads up. If you have young kids or are a light sleeper it is worth being aware of.

Thanks for the heads up but I'm sorry you aren't getting your rest. We bring earplugs because I just don't sleep well in hotels. They fall out overnight but do allow me to get to sleep, at least.

I'm sorry you can't sleep! I also have trouble with noise and now bring a sound machine while traveling. Hope you get some rest!

Oh gosh, I SO feel for you. We had the same problem at Grand Californian at DL once. We had the most amazing view and room and location. But boy oh boy, the noise. It did my head in. The same, could hear every single thing from the room beside, like they were in the room. So clear, I could hear they were Australian. I knew that the daughter left her jacket in the park. The wife was irritated at the husband for something. Then the room beside.... well he liked to check his phone messages at midnight and he was taking business calls. Wasn't something that bothered us in the day but night time, when we were trying to sleep. It was terrible.
I hope you get some sleep eventually.
I will keep this in mind as I was looking at YC for our next trip but may change that if their soundproofing is not good.

I always pack earplugs and sleep masks when staying away from home. I find everything magnified.

I just picked up a new sleep mask for my upcoming trip and got earplugs earlier this week.

I'm sorry you're hearing so much noise. I guess that's one reason why most Disney resorts use carpet. I liked the old Yacht Club theming, & don't care for the refurbishment pics I've seen, so your post has convinced me to avoid the resort in the future.

That's my biggest concern with those floors! We sleep with a Marpac sound machine in every room at home, so we bring them on trips, too. Good luck, OP! Maybe download the White Noise app to your phone.

I'm sorry you're hearing so much noise. I guess that's one reason why most Disney resorts use carpet. I liked the old Yacht Club theming, & don't care for the refurbishment pics I've seen, so your post has convinced me to avoid the resort in the future.

If you are ruling out resorts based on flooring rather than carpeting, you'd better check on other resorts before you make a decision. I was in a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk Villas this year and the living room area had the new flooring as well. I think some resorts are getting that when the rooms are remodeled.

If you are ruling out resorts based on flooring rather than carpeting, you'd better check on other resorts before you make a decision. I was in a 1 bedroom at Boardwalk Villas this year and the living room area had the new flooring as well. I think some resorts are getting that when the rooms are remodeled.
No, as indicated in my post, it's a combo of the refurbishment that I don't like & the noise the OP described. We stayed at a Poly villa, which has wooden floors with rugs, but never had a noise problem. I'm just taking the OP at her word that the Yacht Club is especially noisy now.

That's my biggest concern with those floors! We sleep with a Marpac sound machine in every room at home, so we bring them on trips, too. Good luck, OP! Maybe download the White Noise app to your phone.
Same. I've been sleeping with one for years. My mind is now tricked by the noise, as soon as I hear it, it makes me sleepy as if I've taken something. I always bring one wherever I go and it really helps to drown out the noise.

Hope you get some rest op!

Try to turn the fan on that is part of the A/C unit. I do this at every hotel b/c I need a fan to sleep (the noise)

I wonder if it's not so much the floors as specific rooms or just louder neighbors? I only say this because back in 1999 (!) we stayed at the beach club and same thing we could hear every single word of the conversation from our neighbors in the connecting room! And they weren't yelling or arguing but as I lay in my bed I heard about every ride they went on, what they ate, what time they were getting up, who was using the bathroom first.....I was losing my mind!

Yet I've stayed at th BC 2-3 more times since then even in a newly remodeled room and haven't heard a peep from neighbors so I'm not sure what to say.

Common sense though says carpets = muffled noise so I do agree that bare floors would make a room noisier.

So sorry you lost sleep! Was everyone else sleeping? In my case I was the only one kept awake by the neighbors! My family was sound asleep and heared nothing they said!!

I'm bringing my white noise machine and earplugs (I always pack the latter anyway because DH snores).

I don't know if it's the flooring or just general construction at YC/BC. Our room at BC last December was lovely but we could hear everything in our neighbor's room! And there was a lot of noise from the hall.

I remember noise being an issue at the Contemporary (garden wing). We could hear everything going on.

It's 11 p.m. and I am lying in bed at the Yacht Club and can't sleep because it is so loud!

We checked in and were given a very rundown looking room on the first floor. The carpet was bubbled, the shower was stained and the decor was dated. Those things didn't bother me. However, my problem was that the room hadn't been cleaned. There was a candy wrapper and a tissue on the floor along with a water bottle cap in the middle of the rug and a potato chip with a bite out of it. There was also 2 strands of hair in the shower and a used wine glass left on the floor by the door.

The manager at the desk could not have been nicer. He was apologetic and fixed the situation immediately by moving us into one of the newly remodeled rooms.

It is beautiful and I immediately noted the floors were wood/laminate instead of carpet. I LOVED that because hotel rugs are gross.

I've now discovered the downside to the lack of carpet. IT. IS. SO. LOUD!

This room has a connecting door to the room next to it and I can hear every word of their conversation as if they are in the room. I can also hear the room on the other side of us (loud, but more muffled) and the people of above us as well as water running and toilets flushing.

When people walk down the hall they can be heard outside the doors as well (although there is plush carpeting in the hallways).

Anyhow, I'm not so much complaining but did feel it was worth mentioning to give others a heads up. If you have young kids or are a light sleeper it is worth being aware of.

Download a free white noise app on your phone-works like a charm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter