Past
DL multiple times
WDW offsite '92, Grosvenor '96, AS-Mu '98,
Disneyana Convention AS-Mu '00

Future
Disneyana Conv 2001 at GC
DIS Convention 2001 at Y&B
OKW and BWV New Years 2002

DCA Opening Day Plans - sleeping over anyone?

If you ever wanted to spend a night INSIDE Disneyland, here's your chance...

All lines of business for Disneyland (Attractions, Merchandise, Foods, Custodial, Security, etc.) are quickly
drafting plans to hold up to 28,000 people inside Disneyland overnight on February 7th, before DCA officially
opens on the morning of the 8th. There will be an Opening Ceremony at 7:45 am in front of the DCA Main
Entrance, before the Park opens officially at 8 am. The Main Entrance Esplanade area will be full of grandstand
risers for media and invited Disney guests. The area will be very congested, due to all the extra equipment and
seating in that large plaza.

Since there will be no real place for large groups of people to wait before the Park opens, they will be opening up
Disneyland as a waiting area for those die-hard fans who plan on spending the night or arriving very early in the
morning before DCA opens. There will undoubtedly be at least a few thousand people who will arrive sometime
during the evening of the 7th, or the early morning of the 8th, in order to ensure that they can be among the first
official Guests to enter DCA. But, the number of early bird DCA visitors could reach into the tens of thousands by
the morning of the 8th. So, Disneyland will be used as the staging area for these early arrivals.

Right now the plans are still tentative, but Disneyland will close at 8:00 pm on the 7th. After the Park is cleared,
they will begin letting early bird DCA first day visitors into Disneyland to spend the night in the original Magic
Kingdom so that the Esplanade area can be kept clear for Opening Ceremony set up. There will most likely be a
very basic Food and Merchandise offering, in order to keep everyone from starving or freezing to death. It is still
being decided at this time if any Attractions will operate, or any hospitality services will be offered, or if this will
simply be a "containment" procedure to keep the early Guests out of the way of the set up crews and working
media.

But, they are making plans based on a worst (best?) case scenario of 28,000 people either spending the night,
or arriving in the very early morning hours before DCA officially opens. If they thought that only 5,000 would show
up early, Downtown Disney could be used as a holding pen. But there is a possibility that the numbers could
swell to beyond that so a pajama party in Disneyland will have to be the "pre- show" to DCA on February 8th. The
In-Park maximum for DCA has been lowered to 28,000 (see below). So, it's entirely possible that anyone who
arrives after 9:00 am on opening day won't be getting in.

The plan is to form a long "queue" through Disneyland after the Park closes on the 7th. The queue will start in the
Town Square and stretch down Main Street. As the evening turns into late night and early morning, the queue will
be directed up Matterhorn Way, through Fantasyland, down the Big Thunder Trail into Frontierland, along the
Rivers of America towards the Haunted Mansion, and then finally back over the bridge in front of Pirates of the
Caribbean and into Adventureland. As more people arrive, they will be directed to wherever the end of the queue
is at that time. It should be possible to hold up to 30,000 bodies this way, if that many really show up before 7:00
am on the 8th.

Right now, there will be no Attractions offered. There will be no Characters or Entertainment offered. There will
be some bathrooms open, and a basic offering of Food and Drinks. Perhaps roving ODV carts? The food that
will be available is uncertain at this time. This will be a simple "control and contain" strategy. All the resources of
the Resort had really been planned to have been focused on DCA that week, and especially during the 36 hours
of the 7th and 8th in preparation of the Grand Opening. This giant queue and crowd staging strategy is a last
minute realization, and there isn't a lot of time left to plan a separate "event" other than the DCA opening. If the
mood turns festive and party- like, it will be up to the people waiting in line overnight in a darkened Disneyland.

For at least the past year, the DCA attendance levels thrown about by Operations managers and TDA execs
have been a "Total Paid Attendance" for the day of 38,000, and a maximum In-Park capacity of 30,000. However,
after the past week of preview days with attendance near 15,000, the In-Park capacity has just been dropped to
28,000. DCA simply gets crowded after about 12,000 people click through the turnstiles. The In-Park capacity is
something that no one really knows until they can get at least 25,000 in DCA. Expect further revisions in
February. But, right now the In-Park capacity is being pegged at 28,000 maximum, instead of the previous
30,000. When there are 25,000+ people inside DCA, it will feel like New Years Eve at Disneyland. Very, very
crowded.

After the last couple weeks of DCA previews, the In-Park capacity for the park has been lowered. For the past
few years, the planned In-Park DCA capacity has been 30K. About 12 months ago, that number was even fine
tuned to 30,100 exactly. But after the recent preview dates, the In-Park capacity has been dropped by Operations
Vice Presidents' to 28K, in order to prevent overcrowding. However, the highest attendance DCA has
experienced so far was this weekend with total attendance for the day of 22K and a peak In-Park attendance of
17K. And DCA seemed fairly busy this weekend with 17K inside by late afternoon. 28K inside DCA will be very
busy.

So, if tens of thousands of people do show up before DCA opens on the 8th, there is not a guarantee that all of
them are going to get in right away. DCA could fill up within the first one or two hours on the 8th, and some of the
people who had been queued up and waiting all morning inside Disneyland may not be admitted until the
attendance hopefully reduces a bit later in the afternoon or evening.

Expect the same type of crowds throughout the rest of the opening weekend, except without the overnight
Disneyland staging for the Grand Opening. The attendance estimates for the first 3 days of DCA's opening are
planned at 38,000 total (in and out) for the day. That's the maximum number that the planning folks will allow to
be planned for. Anything over 38,000 in one day is simply impossible to plan for.

If you really want to ensure that they can get into DCA on opening day, you may need to commit to spending all
night at Disneyland.

I have no interest in attending DCA on Feb 8th, but spending the night in Disneyland would be fantastic. Just think of the DIS meet we could have. I wonder if they will sell tickets for DCA as you enter Disneyland for the night?

I have another thought. I would imagine that they will let guests staying at the Grand Californian in first that day. That means even fewer guests allowed in DCA on opening day. And what about all the press?

It will be interesting to see what ends up happening. Thanks for the story.

logo.gif

Wow, interesting. You couldn't pay me enough to spend the night out in the cold just to be one of the first to enter DCA. :D Good luck to any die-hards that try it, though! :)

Michelle
Assistant Webmaster
Cruise & Inspiration Board Co-Host
Disneyland Board Co-Host

Actully, you will be spending the night in the Mickey and Friends Parking lot according to Laughing Place. The line starts at 5 pm but no earlier and they have a special booth set up there and everything, so you will have to fight traffic I guess to be the first person into DCA. So I think the whole Disneyland idea was just a rumor that didn;t come true.

Details on Disneyland sleepover for California Adventure's Grand Opening

Ok, it's been my biggest request item via e-mails since we broke the news here on the site - here is the
info on this that we just got, keep in mind that as I post this column (at around 6 AM) the meetings to
organize this should be taking place and they may yet change one or two details. (We'll do any updates
during this morning should they change any of what we list below, so keep checking back.)

Line-ups for California Adventure's opening day will start Wednesday, the 7th, at 5 PM in the Pinocchio lot.
Everyone will be asked to stay in a holding area there until 9 PM. Disney will be requesting via the media
that people PLEASE carpool to conserve parking spaces.

At 8 PM Disneyland will close for the night, with the usual one hour for shopping allowed. At 9 PM the park
will start allowing people over from the Pinocchio lot to the Disneyland entry. At that time, if you don't have
an two-park annual pass yet - you will be asked to buy your ticket for admission into the new park. You will
probably also be given a wristband - which may or may not be color coded to the staging area you will be
asked to wait in.

Then groups of about 50 at a time will be admitted to Disneyland to then be placed in staging areas, as
opposed to lining up. The reason for this is to keep folks away from the normal nighttime activities that
take place at Disneyland - cleaning, replenishing the shops, delivery of food, etc.

The staging areas include Fantasyland Theater, the Festival Arena (where Hunchback was), the
Fantasmic viewing area, etc. More may be added depending on how many people show up. At this time
there is no word yet about any possible entertainment being offered, although the staging areas selected
do offer opportunities for it. Right now they are estimating about 20,000 people will be showing up.

There will be limited outdoor vending carts available - and you will be asked NOT to bring anything in, such
as chairs, sleeping bags, coolers, etc. The reason for this is that security would like to be able to see
everything out in the open so they can watch over the crowds safely. The other reason is that they will NOT
offer lockers that night. Strangely though, they will offer package pick up - so that implies that there will be
some shopping available that night.

The ribbon cutting ceremony for the new park will take place at 7 AM, with the gates opening at 8 AM.

Now, if you think getting in line all night will allow you first pick of the limited edition "bound for eBay"
opening day California Adventure merchandise... well think again.

Right now they will at least be offering two items - a pin and a bean bag plush (there may be more) - which
will be rationed out in limited quantities EACH day of the opening weekend (Thursday, Friday, Saturday
and Sunday). This is to help spread the merchandise out a bit away from the die-hard collectors. (A good
idea I think.)

Now keep in mind the following things if for some reason you decide you want to be involved in this
overnight event:

Sales for the two-park annual passes have been huge - much better than Disney had planned for, and right
now we are still hearing that they want to limit the crowds to 28,000.

Chances are that if you do NOT arrive early enough, the annual passholders could take up a significant
amount of capacity in the new park over the whole opening weekend.

If you want to attend on any of the other days that weekend - get there at 7 AM to insure you get parking for
the day. Arriving anytime after 9 AM could mean you end up in a far flung lot like Pumbaa or the
Convention Center, IF they have the room for you.

You should also expect Disneyland itself to be crowded that day, what with overflow and annual
passholders hopping between the two parks.

Make sure you bundle up for the night - Disneyland gets awfully cold after midnight and you will suffer if you
do not prepare.

As I mentioned before - if any of this changes this morning after they make the official announcement, we'll
update later on in the day. Keep checking this column to find out the latest on this event.

Thanks Ilovmky....

I thought I might try the sleep over...but now, I think I will sleep in my nice marm bed. Fortunately, I am not obsessed with pins or beanies. I have other obsessions which fortunately are not enticed by this opening day hooplah.

robsimnala.jpg

Past
DL multiple times
WDW offsite '92, Grosvenor '96, AS-Mu '98,
Disneyana Convention AS-Mu '00

Future
Disneyana Conv 2001 at GC
DIS Convention 2001 at Y&B
OKW and BWV New Years 200

well to all of you coming to vist me on wendsday u won't be in the parking lot...i'm doing ODV for ya guys in disneyland park...not right at 5 pm...when the line starts @ micky parking structure...but later than night...have fun..& come visit me! TTFn...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter