slate ge appliances

findmewdw

Mouseketeer
We are updating our kitchen. We will be replacing 25 year old appliances and are considering the GE slate appliances. Have been reading reviews and thought I'd check with this board for comments of owners. Everyone tells us we will not get 25 years out of any current appliances. Sad to hear this news, as the price tag for appliances is crazy. We currently have GE, all except dishwasher. We will not purchase another GE dishwasher! So we will have one stainless steel appliance, but I think it will blend with the slate microwave, range and fridge ok. We have oak cabinets that I want to keep and I think the slate will match. Have perused tons of pictures. Thanks for your views.

I guess my question is, what is there to wear out on a stove? I guess the digital controls, but new stove top heating elements are $25 and snap in, oven elements are $19 and they snap in too.
Now, I had to replace my stove/oven, which worked find, because they were all one unit with the Microwave, and the microwave died. So I threw out a perfectly good oven and stove when all I needed was a new microave, and the unit was 27 years old. Needless to say, my microwave is a stand alone now.
I bought a GE Spectra 10 years ago, so far so good.

Last edited:
We bought a slate refrigerator last year when ours died. I like it so much better than stainless because it doesn't show finger prints. As the other appliance die- I will replace with slate as well

We have a slate dishwasher and so far so good. My wife loved the slate color. I would rather choose appliances by brand and features rather than color, but she wanted slate. I am weary when we have to replace the refrigerator because we have a GE now and I don't like it. Hopefully they fixed all the thing that went wrong with our current one.

I guess my question is, what is there to wear out on a stove? I guess the digital controls, but new stove top heating elements are $25 and snap in, oven elements are $19 and they snap in too.
Now, I had to replace my stove/oven, which worked find, because they were all one unit with the Microwave, and the microwave died. So I threw out a perfectly good oven and stove when all I needed was a new microave, and the unit was 27 years old. Needless to say, my microwave is a stand alone now.
I bought a GE Spectra 10 years ago, so far so good.
The elements don't just "snap in" when you have a sealed smooth top range. I'm on my 3rd stove in 12 years.

The elements don't just "snap in" when you have a sealed smooth top range. I'm on my 3rd stove in 12 years.
Ah. Good thing I'd too cheap to buy a smooth top stove.:drinking::cat:

EDITED:
I just looked it up. They DO just snap in on a smooth top stove, after you remove 4 screws. Easy peasy.

Just replaced our stainless refrigerator with a Samsung black stainless refrigerator - it looks to be the same color as the ge slate appliances.

We love it. Love the new color and the fact that it does not show fingerprints like my old one did. We will add more appliances in this color as they die out!

Maybe look into Samsung appliances. When researching refrigerators, Samsung seemed to get good reviews.

I believe the average for refridgerators now is about 5-7 years. We bought our Whirlpool fridge from Direct Buy that came with a 1 year manufactur warranty but we bought a 5 year warranty from Direct Buy so we're covered for 6 years. For the fridge the longest warranty we could get was 5 years.

We do have GE appliances that came with our house (that is a nearly 2 year old home and bought through Factory Direct) The dishwasher does fine but the microwave has stopped working of course 14 months after being installed by our builder--there was only a 1 year warranty. At this time we're just using an old microwave we had til we work up the effort to look into the issue of why our newer one isn't working right. Our gas oven hasn't had any issues (the appliances listed above are GE ones)

We bought black appliances (the shiny not textured black ones).

EDITED:
I just looked it up. They DO just snap in on a smooth top stove, after you remove 4 screws. Easy peasy.
Mine have NOT been that simple. On top of that I've had 2 that got cracks in the glass tops themselves. Perhaps we're just hard on appliances here. It's cheaper to buy new ones than to pay for repair.

Mine have NOT been that simple. On top of that I've had 2 that got cracks in the glass tops themselves. Perhaps we're just hard on appliances here. It's cheaper to buy new ones than to pay for repair.
No offense, but if you've gone through 3 stoves in 12 years, I'd be looking for a different brand or type that better meets how you use them. My mom got 53 years out of her Westinghouse cooktop, despite some of the stupid things I did to it as a kid.

No offense, but if you've gone through 3 stoves in 12 years, I'd be looking for a different brand or type that better meets how you use them. My mom got 53 years out of her Westinghouse cooktop, despite some of the stupid things I did to it as a kid.
I've had a kenmore, an LG and now a GE so I'm pretty sure I've tried different brands, no offense...

3 years ago a repairman comes to my house to look at our 6 year old fridge that wasn't working. I said, "what is it?" He said, "the compressor. this is junk buy a new fridge." I said, "what!?!? It's only 6 years old!" He says, "do you know how all these refrigerators get the 'energy star' ratings? There's no magic or new tech. They made the compressors smaller and crank them up. The result? They burn out and cost more to fix than replace." He said, "refrigerators today aren't like the ones of our parents or grandparents generation that had huge compressors and lasted for eons"

His recommendation: "all fridge manufactures operate like this so don't go overboard spending big $$$ on a fridge. Get a decent fridge with an ice maker and water. And MAKE SURE not to get one with the super fancy computer functionality on the front. Get one with simple buttons." Why? He said, "it never fails that 2 months after the warranty expires those computer boards go bad on the front of the fridge (i.e. Samsung, etc.) and the customer is stuck buying a $1,000 part.

I did what he said - bought a mid line fridge with no major frills, simple front ice maker and water, and it was around $1k.

3 years ago a repairman comes to my house to look at our 6 year old fridge that wasn't working. I said, "what is it?" He said, "the compressor. this is junk buy a new fridge." I said, "what!?!? It's only 6 years old!" He says, "do you know how all these refrigerators get the 'energy star' ratings? There's no magic or new tech. They made the compressors smaller and crank them up. The result? They burn out and cost more to fix than replace." He said, "refrigerators today aren't like the ones of our parents or grandparents generation that had huge compressors and lasted for eons"

His recommendation: "all fridge manufactures operate like this so don't go overboard spending big $$$ on a fridge. Get a decent fridge with an ice maker and water. And MAKE SURE not to get one with the super fancy computer functionality on the front. Get one with simple buttons." Why? He said, "it never fails that 2 months after the warranty expires those computer boards go bad on the front of the fridge (i.e. Samsung, etc.) and the customer is stuck buying a $1,000 part.

I did what he said - bought a mid line fridge with no major frills, simple front ice maker and water, and it was around $1k.
The first two things to go out on a fridge nowadays is the compressor or the ice maker and both have been known to cause problems.

My mom still has an Amana fridge from over 30 years ago-no ice maker smaller freezer up top and a smaller fridge overall by today's standards. It has started making a louder clicking noise in the past few years but that doesn't impact the functionality of it so no need to replace it.

The glass is available, about $150, cheaper than a new one. And a simple install.
You really do like to be a know it all, don't you? Glass for every single model out there is not $150, but if you like to think you have an answer for everything have at it.

You really do like to be a know it all, don't you? Glass for every single model out there is not $150, but if you like to think you have an answer for everything have at it.
LOL. No, the most expensive glass was $150. Google is your friend.:sunny:

EDITED:

This video is dated - current glass cooktops take a lot more working with to get the elements replaced - and boy can they be touchy! I could go on and on...

Slate is better than stainless (read: finger print magnet!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter