Skyauction?

countrymommy

Earning My Ears
Can someone please explain how skyauction works (I understand the bidding part of it). I've used EBay and the time share user group forums to rent timeshares from private parties before, but I don't quite get who I'm buying from on SA. Is it the resort itself? Once I buy my week's stay, who sends me confirmation? Anything else I should be aware of? The prices are good but I don't want to be duped! Thanks so much for your help!!

I've made around 95 purchases for lodging from Skyauction and LOVE it. I have learned quite a bit. I would never bid on airfare from them since I like to control flight times and airlines to fly. Lodging deals are the best anywhere.

Each auction is different. You have to read the details carefully. Even then, the details can be misleading. They may talk about one bedroom condos that have full kitchens but later in the listing state the unit you are bidding on is for a partial kitchen. Some of the excess inventory they get is at poorly rated resorts. Look up reviews on Tripadvisor first so you know what people think.

I buy certifications to use on 7 day condo stays in the future or pay a bit more to book a specific resort that has the dates and room size I need available for sure. Certificates are emailed the next business day after the auction is won and specific resort stays can be specified by you the day after your winning bid. Confirmations are generated when you finalize your resort selection and cannot be changed or cancelled. The record stays in your account details and can be reprinted anytime.

Your information is forwarded to the resort less than 1 week before arrival and possibly even the same day. They often don't have my info at the front desk but find it on a list somewhere after a long search. For weekly condo stays (I don't book hotel or nightly stays) you are treated as though you exchanged a timeshare week.

I have had a few problems in the past that were resolved through emails. I can take up to 4 days to get an email response. I always worry needlessly since they have always fixed any issue.

In summation:
Read all the details in the auction closely, including additional fees for traveling on specific dates and processing fees.
Be careful what size unit you book. I try to stay away from one bedroom units since they can be very small and not very well appointed. Upgrades are either unavailable or very expensive so book the unit you ultimately want.
Understand any additional fees a resort may charge. Wifi, safes, resort fees, taxes and cleaning fees are possible. I have never been charged a cleaning fee for a 7 day stay.
At least 75% of the timeshares listed get poor reviews so know what you are getting into. Better resorts cost more.
The cheapest deals are 7 night stays that include taxes and service fees (except for the $20 processing fee)
If you are unhappy with a room or resort, don't expect to get any help from Skyauction. You are on your own. You will have to work things out with the resort yourself. I am always as nice as possible and if I need to be moved because of problems with a room, I try to be very kind to the desk person who is ultimately going to be the one to help fix the situation.
They are closed weekends so don't expect a response on Sat or Sunday to any emails, questions or requests.
I have paid as little as $170/week and as much as $400 per week for up to 3 bedroom condos all over the country and have never had a disappointing experience, although some properties are much nicer than others.
Remember that you are paying a fraction of what timeshare owners pay for the same stay. I keep very quiet about the deal I received when talking to others. I don't want to piss off owners and have them complain to the resort.

Any other questions?

A few years ago I booked Summer Bay with a certificate purchased through Sky Auction. Sadly, a sinkhole nearly swallowed our building the night we checked in. Summer Bay nor RCI did anything to assist us during that emergency. I contacted Sky Auction. The customer service from Sky Auction was exceptional. The representative worked tirelessly to have us moved to another property.

I've made around 95 purchases for lodging from Skyauction and LOVE it. I have learned quite a bit. I would never bid on airfare from them since I like to control flight times and airlines to fly. Lodging deals are the best anywhere.

Each auction is different. You have to read the details carefully. Even then, the details can be misleading. They may talk about one bedroom condos that have full kitchens but later in the listing state the unit you are bidding on is for a partial kitchen. Some of the excess inventory they get is at poorly rated resorts. Look up reviews on Tripadvisor first so you know what people think.

I buy certifications to use on 7 day condo stays in the future or pay a bit more to book a specific resort that has the dates and room size I need available for sure. Certificates are emailed the next business day after the auction is won and specific resort stays can be specified by you the day after your winning bid. Confirmations are generated when you finalize your resort selection and cannot be changed or cancelled. The record stays in your account details and can be reprinted anytime.

Your information is forwarded to the resort less than 1 week before arrival and possibly even the same day. They often don't have my info at the front desk but find it on a list somewhere after a long search. For weekly condo stays (I don't book hotel or nightly stays) you are treated as though you exchanged a timeshare week.

I have had a few problems in the past that were resolved through emails. I can take up to 4 days to get an email response. I always worry needlessly since they have always fixed any issue.

In summation:
Read all the details in the auction closely, including additional fees for traveling on specific dates and processing fees.
Be careful what size unit you book. I try to stay away from one bedroom units since they can be very small and not very well appointed. Upgrades are either unavailable or very expensive so book the unit you ultimately want.
Understand any additional fees a resort may charge. Wifi, safes, resort fees, taxes and cleaning fees are possible. I have never been charged a cleaning fee for a 7 day stay.
At least 75% of the timeshares listed get poor reviews so know what you are getting into. Better resorts cost more.
The cheapest deals are 7 night stays that include taxes and service fees (except for the $20 processing fee)
If you are unhappy with a room or resort, don't expect to get any help from Skyauction. You are on your own. You will have to work things out with the resort yourself. I am always as nice as possible and if I need to be moved because of problems with a room, I try to be very kind to the desk person who is ultimately going to be the one to help fix the situation.
They are closed weekends so don't expect a response on Sat or Sunday to any emails, questions or requests.
I have paid as little as $170/week and as much as $400 per week for up to 3 bedroom condos all over the country and have never had a disappointing experience, although some properties are much nicer than others.
Remember that you are paying a fraction of what timeshare owners pay for the same stay. I keep very quiet about the deal I received when talking to others. I don't want to piss off owners and have them complain to the resort.

Any other questions?

Thank you for the most helpful answer ever! They have a 1 BR Wyndham Cypress Palms for $325/week for my dates. I'm only going with my college age daughter so a 1 BR will be fine...still more room than a standard room at WDW. Trip advisor has overall good reviews but I'm not expecting the Ritz for less than $50/night.

A few years ago I booked Summer Bay with a certificate purchased through Sky Auction. Sadly, a sinkhole nearly swallowed our building the night we checked in. Summer Bay nor RCI did anything to assist us during that emergency. I contacted Sky Auction. The customer service from Sky Auction was exceptional. The representative worked tirelessly to have us moved to another property.

Very reassuring, thank you!

We used Skyauction for a stay at Sheraton Vistana Resort in May 2015, and it was an excellent experience. Confirmation was received via email of our SVR reservation within a day of winning our auction. We we able to submit the confirmation number to SVR via the Diamond Lane Check-in two weeks in advance of our visit to facilitate building and room requests. I would use them again in a heartbeat!

My DSD has used them many years. He and my DM travel all over the world and he's used them even for international. So I decided to give them a try about 6 years ago. I have used them numerous times include 3 stays at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and 2 stays at Sheraton Vistana Resort.

Agree with what PP says about reading all the way through. An initial price may change drastically with date or unit size upcharges. Also depending on how you are booking there may be an additional $299 resort fee. On hotels it is even more important to read through as most add a per night fee - I have rarely found a hotel that was less than what I could book otherwise.

I have looked at the 7 Day Certificates but when I check availability, I am never happy with the options so not willing to chance it.

I have done Bid Auction and Buy it Now. With all fees/taxes/$20 Admin Fee I have never paid more than $88 a night for 2 bedroom or $47 a night for one bedroom at the above locations. I have always been given very nice units and had great stays.

My $45 a night view last October :) plus a beautiful condo.

iPhone%20October%206%202015%20336.jpg

iPhone%20October%206%202015%20353.jpg

iPhone%20October%206%202015%20459.jpg

I have stayed in a one bedroom at the Wyndham Cypress Palms. We had a very nice experience there and would definitely stay again. The condo was clean, spacious and stocked with everything we needed. It is only a short drive to the parks. Be warned, there is a Krispy Kreme Donuts near the entrance to the resort...lol!

I have stayed in a one bedroom at the Wyndham Cypress Palms. We had a very nice experience there and would definitely stay again. The condo was clean, spacious and stocked with everything we needed. It is only a short drive to the parks. Be warned, there is a Krispy Kreme Donuts near the entrance to the resort...lol!

Best amenity they can offer!! :cool1:
Breakfast, check. Late dinner, check. Middle of the night snack, check.

We love staying at Wyndham Cypress Palms. I try to book a two bedroom there since they have 3 different types of one bedroom units. The one bedroom deluxe which is often listed as a one bedroom with the full kitchen is wonderful. Their smaller standard one bedroom has a partial kitchen. They also have one bedroom units with a mini kitchen, but I have never seen those and they don't list the floorplan on their website. They just say they are best for 2 adults since they are small.

Check your reservation for kitchen size and you will know which unit you will probably get.

I have only talked to Skyauction over the phone once. They called me to resolve a condo downgrade issue. The unit size they sold me was not available when they transferred my information to the resort just before my arrival. They must have worked some magic because by the time we checked in, we did get the two bedroom unit we reserved.

I feel I get treated better at most resorts as an exchanger instead of an owner. I think they look at me as a "potential sale" and go out of their way to make sure I am happy. I have heard horror stories from owners at different properties.

It can take a few days for them to get back to me with emailed confirmations or answers to questions or problems (like charging me full price for an auction that I wanted to use a $75 off coupon for or giving me a vacation certificate number that had already been used). I have always worried needlessly since they have fixed the issues I have had 100% of the time.

I tell everyone I know about them. They are a website that has changed my life for the better, and I hope their deals never go away or become too expensive.

Can someone please explain how skyauction works (I understand the bidding part of it). I've used EBay and the time share user group forums to rent timeshares from private parties before, but I don't quite get who I'm buying from on SA. Is it the resort itself? Once I buy my week's stay, who sends me confirmation? Anything else I should be aware of? The prices are good but I don't want to be duped! Thanks so much for your help!!

I have had dozens of auctions canceled last minute on me. Not much a fan of that. I was there in December on a Skyauction win. It took at least 45 minutes for the front desk to find my reservation. You just have to watch their added costs. Sometimes they are there and sometimes not.

Thanks everyone for your information. I have always wanted to try Skyauction but have been hesitant. I did see all of the fees that are sometimes added on to the auction price. I am less hesitant now that I hear from people that have used it. I usually use Redweek and rent from owners. Now this is another option for me to use.
:disrocks:

Also to note that since I have started using them is that they do offer a "travel insurance" that I actually have bought a couple times because I was booking trips I had not planned on, but now were trying to work in ... and ..... a seriously ill family member that I had to be prepared to cancel.

Last edited:
Another question about SKYAUCTION.....the check-in date I need is 8/13. That is a Saturday checkin. Friday and Sunday checkin does not work for me. I am noticing Saturday 8/13 is not available at the resorts I prefer on the BuyItNow Tab and the BidNow tab. And the BookItNow tab doesn't have my preference of resorts either. August is 5 months away. Should I keep checking? Does the option of more check-in days come back into inventory?

We decided to cancel our September Ft Wildernes trip an go to the Keys instead but I really didn't want to miss Food and Wine so I booked a semi-solo,trip for myself. I used the SkyAuction Vacation Certificates and have two weeks booked for a total of $618. One week at Kingstown Reef (1 BR) for Universal/SeaWorld and one at Legacy Vacation Club in Lake Buena vista (3 BR) for WDW.

Of the places I've stayed using the certificates I prefer the condos and pool at Wyndham Cypress Palms but I sometimes use the public bus to get to the parks (Food and WINE! and BEER! and FROZEN SPECIALTY COCKTAILS!) and the Legacy condo is closer to the stop. I'm a smallish 55 year old female and am just more comfortable in LBV on solo trips these days.

Silver Lake is also nice and practically in Animal Kingdom's back yard. You do have to drive from this one.

I've gotten Wyndham Bonnet Creek using the certificates in the past but lately it either doesn't show up in the inventory or has very high surcharges. That plus the shuttle fees have kind of steered me away the last few years.

Last edited:
I'll just chime in and say that we've used SkyAuction numerous times, most recently this past November. I've gotten the 7-day certificates and stayed at Orbit One Vacation Villas which is one of the closest resorts to Disney property. We've gotten it for as little as $37/night. I think last trip, it was closer to $50 which is still incredible for a 2-bedroom fully-stocked timeshare unit. You can't beat these deals.

Just be very careful to read all of the fine print and know exactly what you are going to be paying before you hit "confirm".

Thanks for all the details on how to use Sky Auction.
How would I know if taxes are included? I see some fees at the bottom of the page but no taxes are mentioned on the page at all. Thanks!

How would I know if taxes are included? I see some fees at the bottom of the page but no taxes are mentioned on the page at all. Thanks!

The condos I've booked have always included tax. Some of the hotel listing i have looked at don't include tax. If there are any extra fees skyauction has it on the auction listing in red letters, so you can easily see it.

I got our week for November at Cypress Pointe in a 3 bedroom for $320 total! On the auction page it had in red letters that there is a $10 per day resort fee, no other charges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter