SKT Review ...

MrToadsWildRide

Mouseketeer
So the other day, I finally figured out how to eat at STK. Every other time I've tried, I've been turned away cause I didn't have a reservation, or a GasPass+, jump to the head of the line card. Here's how I did it.

As usual, we walked in and asked if we could get a table. We didn't think it would be difficult, since it was mid week, mid January and we were there very early when almost all the tables were empty. As usual, we were told no, how can you get a table if you don't have a reservation? (the old meat and pudding thing again)

However, they said we could sit at one of the high-top tables near the window, where we can order off the full menu.

Referring to these tables as high-tops is a bit of an understatement. I climbed up into the chair, scooched in and hit my chin on the table. I guess the upside to the high-top tables is the fact that you don't need any silverware, cause you can't get your mouth far enough away from the plate to safely use your fork.

I sat there rubbing my chin thinking there's no way all these empty tables have reservations. I started to wonder if these guys read my Morimoto review. I decide to pull out my phone, and check out STK reservations on Open Table. Turns out, I cannot only get a reservation for this evening, but I can get a reservation that's actually only 12 minutes from the current time. Huh. So they tell you that you can't get a table without a reservation, but they don't tell you can make a reservation while you're standing there. Interesting. Is this some kind of an IQ test? Or are they trying to weed out the restaurant herd?

I book the reservation and walk back over to the same woman that banished me to the too-high-top table and tell her I have a reservation. "Silly me, I clearly forgot." She does not look amused, but leads us to our normal-top table.

Ordering a steak at STK is kind of like flying coach. Be prepared to pay for any extras that would make your experience more enjoyable. Their 6 ounce filet is $36, which seems reasonable. However, when you order their filet, that's what you get. A filet. Anything other than the filet, costs extra.

Peppercorn crust? Extra.
Sauce? Extra.
Potatoes? Extra.
Veggie? Extra.
Plate? Thankfully, thats included in the base price.

If you ordered all those "extras", the $36 fillet adds up to $64. Granted the size of the side portions are generous. Justifiable I guess, since you're being generous with your money.

The filet was tasty, tender and almost cooked perfectly. (medium rare can be a challenge) The red wine sauce was good and the wild mushrooms were very good.

The most memorable portion of the meal was the Chive Juice, which came with their freshly baked bread. I believe they had a very unique and special name for the chive juice, which I quickly forgot. However, when you taste this translucent, vibrantly green liquid sitting in a tiny bowl you the obvious and arguably most accurate description would be, chive juice. This was a first for me. Then again, maybe it's their signature juice?

The ambiance of this place is odd. Apparently, there's more than one, so perhaps they all follow this design, derived from the original place which I believe is in New York. That might explain the decor. While this place is very new, it looks like it was designed about 20 years ago. White leather-ette half circle chairs, lacquered wood table tops, dark floors, dark ceilings, wavy white rows hanging down from the ceiling. Then there's the pink glass that separates the entry from the dining area. When you first walk in, you get the impression the lighting in the room is pink. Perhaps they should have called it PNK? Which brings us to the name.

I consider myself of a fairly hipity-hop kind of guy, since I can text without vowels (sorry Vanna). So I knew that STK was pronounced Steak.

Nope. I was told it's actually pronounced Ess-Tee-Kay. That, or the woman that told me that, was messing with me. So maybe I'll just call it Ssssss-tick. (after I get my food of course)

While the food was good, the ambiance seemed a little to upscale for a casual place like the Springs. You could argue that there are better options in and around the World. Especially if you're looking for steak. Then again, if you do come here for your steak, it will be easier for me to get into Jikos or Citriccos.

Dear original poster, the name of the restuarant is actually called STK.

Not SKT. Please work harder in the future to ensure the accuracy of your posts.

I have to say, this is one of the best reviews I've read on here in minutes. . .I mean months, months. Seriously, thanks for the informative and chuckle-a-minute critique. We've been wondering about SKT, er, STK and kept putting it off since it was a) unknown and b) seemingly expensive (I make a mean filet for about $23.67 less). Your thoughts will definitely keep us in the "putting it off" camp. Thanks, again, and I'll have to figure out some way to keep you in my "Must Read" file.

P.S.Dear original poster: You can actually edit your title. ;)

Good review. As a steak lover located in the Midwest, I find it comical that there are still some people in this world that think that steak=High Class. To me, the best steaks come without the pretentious overtones. Maybe that is why I like Harry and Izzy's over St. Elmo's just a bit. The meat should be the star of the show, not the building, decorations or staff. I probably won't eat at STK, give me the meat hanging at the Yachtsman and a side of Truffles and cheese, three beers in the Crews cap and a couple more at dinner and I am fine to go.

And about the ressie thing. If I owned the place and I heard your story, the woman that sat you at altitude would be fired for not assisting in getting you a reservation. Attitude over Altitude in this case.

I forgot to add that Open Table is our friend. We often do just that to snag reservations at the last minute at otherwise hard-to-get reservations. We did just that same thing the weekend before Christmas at a place in Charlotte. We changed our minds about lunch that day and figured our new spot would be crowded. So, half an hour before we ate there, we checked OT and theer was a time availabe. Unlike STK, the place was hopping when we arrived to dine, and the wait was 30-40 minutes. . .at lunch. We were seated within three minutes once our table was cleaned.

There are a number of STKs. Two in NYC that I can think of immediately, they seem the same except they have more patrons. It was really good when first opened, but they have so much competition in NYC that I haven't been back in years. Its a pass of me just because its seems kinda "been there" and I can eat a decent steak at Shula's or Yachtsman, and since I stay Epcot area, its a sight more convenient than DS, which is going to have to bring something "so extra" as it where, to make me go back.

There are a number of STKs. Two in NYC that I can think of immediately, they seem the same except they have more patrons. It was really good when first opened, but they have so much competition in NYC that I haven't been back in years. Its a pass of me just because its seems kinda "been there" and I can eat a decent steak at Shula's or Yachtsman, and since I stay Epcot area, its a sight more convenient than DS, which is going to have to bring something "so extra" as it where, to make me go back.

The Boathouse may pull you to DS. We liked it.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong......

Consider Shula's, at the Dolphin.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong......
I don't know - I think I've met a couple people in my life who seemed to be necessarily wrong. (Even if I use the term "necessarily" in the philosophical sense.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter