Skipping 2020?

SeHablaRob

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone!
Am currently tossed between keeping up the tradition of going to WDW every year or going every other year. It feels to me like 2020 will be a very construction heavy transitional year for the parks and the resorts, and 2020 might be a good year to skip in order to avoid a lot of that work being done in preparation for the 50th anniversary. On the flip side there might be several other people who feel similarly and next year might be a way to enjoy these parks with fewer crowds than normal.

What are your thoughts on skipping next year?

We are skipping it. We will be coming off of 6 trips in 2 years and need to take a break to recover some funds LOL! I also want to wait until Epcot construction is complete.

I'd like to go every other year starting 2021. We would most likely continue booking for Thanksgiving, as it is our favorite time to go.

We would be skipping 2020, if it weren't for the fact that we'll be living five miles from maingate, but we wouldn't have been skipping it because of any of the reasons that the OP alluded to but rather because we were going to take a big trip for our retirement (which now has morphed into buying a new home for our retirement). "Off" years are generally just as good as "on" years, the small bits of construction more than made up by the lower crowds.

We are also skipping 2020. We had a quiet F&W trip planned for this October and low and behold !BAM! Star Wars invaded our plans. We had already said that we weren't going to Disney in 2020 to avoid the Star Wars chaos so we'll get a small taste of it in October and then will wait until 2021 to visit again once the madness of Star Wars has worn off. Don't get me wrong, we love Star Wars, but we don't LOVE Star Wars.

Edited to add that I will have a one month long sabbatical in 2021 - so we WILL Disney in 2021. ❣

We skipped 2019. Took our first DCL cruise instead. I didn't want to be involved in that Star Wars Frenzy. I'm hoping by next July it will be fairly normal.

Then again - the track record for that is slim to none - take a look at how FOP is still crazy.

Anything opening up in 2020? That Runaway Railway? The Rat ride? I think the Space Restaurant will be open by then?

Won't be a total bust!

We skipped 2019. Took our first DCL cruise instead. I didn't want to be involved in that Star Wars Frenzy. I'm hoping by next July it will be fairly normal.

Then again - the track record for that is slim to none - take a look at how FOP is still crazy.

Anything opening up in 2020? That Runaway Railway? The Rat ride? I think the Space Restaurant will be open by then?

Won't be a total bust!

All that should be open by Spring 2020, fingers crossed before May (supposedly April). I think the restaurant opens later this year.

A lot of stuff will be new for us next May:

Frozen Ever After (was open but we didn't get a chance to ride last trip)
Toy Story Land
Railway Ride (maybe)
Rat Ride (most likely)
Galaxy's Edge (both rides)
Gran Destino!
And a bunch of new restaurants at Disney Springs

Then we'll go again in 2023 when the Epcot construction should be finished and there will be a zillion new things to see and do. :)

We are also skipping 2020. We had a quiet F&W trip planned for this October and low and behold !BAM! Star Wars invaded our plans. We had already said that we weren't going to Disney in 2020 to avoid the Star Wars chaos so we'll get a small taste of it in October and then will wait until 2021 to visit again once the madness of Star Wars has worn off. Don't get me wrong, we love Star Wars, but we don't LOVE Star Wars.

Edited to add that I will have a one month long sabbatical in 2021 - so we WILL Disney in 2021. ❣
I was also considering skipping 2021 bc of the big to do for the anniversary celebration. I am hoping 2022 will be calm. Also hooping by then all kids will be 44” tall so no more kiddo swap!

We are skipping this year and going next year. Like a PP said, lots will be new to us - Toy Story Land, SWGE, Railway Ride, Rat Ride, gondolas, new evening show at Epcot, and I’m sure a few other things, too. I feel 2021 will be crazy busy with it being the 50th anniversary year.

We will finish 2019 with 10 Disney trips (WDW & DL) in 2.5 years so yes, definitely skipping 2020. Looking forward to all the other trips we are going to take in 2020 while also looking forward to seeing a lot of new at WDW in 2021.

We went in Sept 2017 and Dec 2018, but our next trip won’t be until Feb 2022. I think skipping a year makes coming back more special, and 2020 does seem like a good year to skip. Going every other year would be nice but since we like to stay in deluxe hotels we’re planning on going every 3 years. On our next trip my youngest son will be 2 years, 11 mos old and still free in the parks and buffets.

We will finish 2019 with 10 Disney trips (WDW & DL) in 2.5 years so yes, definitely skipping 2020. Looking forward to all the other trips we are going to take in 2020 while also looking forward to seeing a lot of new at WDW in 2021.

Yep! It’s fun to toss around travel ideas that aren’t Disney related. Im looking forward to more spontaneity.

I am skipping it and going to Aulani instead. and like the PP said, I need to recover funds. LOL

We are "skipping" next year and going to Universal. We plan on going back for the anniversary, but are waiting on the official dates from Disney.

We booked 2020 already. But our daughter will be 4 then and it’s just so magical seeing her face when we go. This last trip (right before she turned 3) she was sooo excited and really into it. We want to make sure we go as many times as we can before she thinks she’s too cool for Disney (not that that happens to everyone).

We just returned and i always say "I think we will skip next year." on the ride home..... But a few months later, i get the urge and plan a trip. The urge has not hit me yet, we haven't been home a week yet... but I am certain it will. Not sure waiting on construction would be much of a motivation for me... seems like they are always in construction mode. I do know we were glad to miss the Gallaxy's Edge rush this summer.. no doubt it will be crazy for months or years after it opens but that area might just siphon some of the traffic away from other areas/parks in WDW. Regardless, i am looking forward to testing that theory out. If we do go in 2020, it will likely be in the Summer or maybe Fall Break 2020... hum... that's an idea..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter