• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Skip Animal Kindgom?

If all you're doing in AK is hitting bars, you're totally doing it wrong.

In November we rode Navi and FoP, walked around to have a beverage at Dawa. Then we did the Safari, Gorilla Walk, Tiger Walk and Expedition. We no longer care for the Bird show since they added the characters (the animals look confused - I feel bad for them). DH gets soaked on Kali so he won't go on. Planet train was down and nobody wanted to do Dinosaur or Bugs life. We did skip Nomad and hit Rainforest for a very late lunch. We're not shoppers. We did catch a glimpse of 3 river character floats.

IDK - is there a 'right' way to do a park? :wave:

In November we rode Navi and FoP, walked around to have a beverage at Dawa. Then we did the Safari, Gorilla Walk, Tiger Walk and Expedition. We no longer care for the Bird show since they added the characters (the animals look confused - I feel bad for them). DH gets soaked on Kali so he won't go on. Planet train was down and nobody wanted to do Dinosaur or Bugs life. We did skip Nomad and hit Rainforest for a very late lunch. We're not shoppers. We did catch a glimpse of 3 river character floats.

Sorry I misinterpreted your post listing only bars as the things to do.

But yes, if you are ONLY doing bars, you might as well just go to Disney Springs or something like a monorail resort bar crawl rather than waste a ticket on a park IMHO.

Sorry I misinterpreted your post listing only bars as the things to do.

But yes, if you are ONLY doing bars, you might as well just go to Disney Springs or something like a monorail resort bar crawl rather than waste a ticket on a park IMHO.

We go in March for a long weekend staying at AK-J in 1br Value and that is exactly what we're doing - relaxing at Jambo/Kidani pools during the day and enjoying Springs at night. :) If we get inspired we might buy a 1 day for AK or maybe Epcot since we were just at AK in November.

We have four day 1 park per day tickets and are trying to decide how to distribute the days. I originally thought 1 park per day sounded good, but am now reconsidering Animal Kingdom. We are Disneyland regulars with young kids and this will be our first time to WDW. While my family likes animals (going to the zoo, aquarium, etc.), I wouldn’t say its what we are most interested in. It seems like Animal Kindgom has equivalent attractions in California which we have experienced many times. Tough to be a bug, Dinosaur (seems very similar to Indy), FOP (seems very similar to soarin). I do understand that Pandora is amazing, but with very few truly unique attractions (safari and Everest), and very limited entertainment because of the pandemic, would our extra day be better spent at one of the other parks that have many attractions that are completely unique to WDW? And if so, which park? We won’t be back for a very long time (if ever), so it’s an important decision for us. 🙂
Disneyland doesn't have anything like Flight of Passage, which is not at all like Soarin'. Just walking up to the entrance is amazing, given Pandora's theming. Expedition Everest is also a special coaster and is not to be missed (as long as your young kids are big enough to ride it). The Wildlife Express Train is impressively themed, and Kilimanjaro Safari is a fun & quick way to see and learn about exotic animals. Animal Kingdom has a very special Disney vibe and doesn't feel like a typical zoo. Don't skip it.

Last edited:

Just an FYI, the bird show does not currently have characters and I found it to be great.

I would not skip AK. Having been to WDW and DL, I would say DL has nothing similar to AK.
If all you want to do are the rides, the rides are amazing.
We love the safari and the animal trails and can easily spend 1 day + in the park.

Sounds like you've made up your mind not to miss it! Yeah! We love AK and would never skip it. Pandora, FOP, Expedition Everest and all the animal trails, Kilimanjaro Safari.....oh! And we saw the bird show when we were there in December 2020. Loved it. I"m sure I'm missing something.......OH! the Tree of Life!!!! And it's tough to be a bug. IMO, if you are only going one time to WDW, a visit to AK would be a must do (but then it's a must do for us every time). It's a beautiful park - man made and natural worlds. Harambe is gorgeous as is the Asian area. And I'd never seen a gorilla in the flesh before AK- they are such beautiful animals, I think I cried the first time I saw one. I'm sure you won't regret going! Try the Nomad lounge for a snack and a cocktail - you can get the menu from Sanaa there and it's a pretty spot to have a break.

I would not skip AK. It is VERY different.

I would plan to make it a more laid-back day though. Enjoy the attractions, the trails, the food. Just take it easy and relax. It's actually a good park to experience in the middle of your trip because you can take it easy there.

I do not mean to be rude, (though I may be), but I really find this type of a discussion thread as stupid. The question almost sounds honest, but
the more you think about it and the more time you have seen it, the less honest it sounds. If you have the tickets and can go to all four parks do it.
They are each a bit of a different experience and should be experienced. Each park may not appeal to everyone and some of those people may
tell you to skip one park or another. Go to the parks, experience the parks and make up your mind for your next trip.

For me, AK has the best theming of any of the parks and it includes my favorite ride (Everest) and my favorite restaurant (Tiffins). I spent some time in the Himalayas and I absolutely love the theming.

I realize this has been covered already, but it bears repeating: FOP is nothing like Soarin'. That's like saying that seeing a Beatles cover band is the same thing as seeing Paul McCartney. Soarin' is fine, but FOP is a totally different universe.

Soarin' is okay, but nothing earth-shattering. Meanwhile, I've never even seen Avatar and I live 90 miles from Cedar Point, and FOP may be the best ride I've ever been on.

Last edited:
Another vote for not skipping AK. FOP is amazing!!! Also, the bird show right now (at least in December) has been changed. We actually enjoyed it much more in it's current form than the pre-COVID form.
Others have said they skip some rides, but that's most likely because they have experienced them before. If you have never experienced them, I would recommend not skipping them, as they are really good to try at least once. It's Tough to Be a Bug is one that lots of people will skip because they have done it many times before. However, if you've never done it, I would recommend it.

Have a great trip!

Just an FYI, the bird show does not currently have characters and I found it to be great.
Nice to know. We use to always catch the bird show but when they added the charactors it diminished the show plus the animals seem really confused.

Gotta chime in, even though you are getting the drift - that AK is amazing.
It is our favorite park! The ambience is amazing with pathways, ever changing "lands" which are accurately detailed, the food is the best of all the other parks with more choices and variety, the imagineers "sketching" classes are at Rafki's I believe. You can spend a lot of time just walking around the tree of life and looking at the animals. Also, Festival of the Lion King is coming back soon, and it is the best show in all of WDW, IMO.
I hope you reconsider and visit AK. I know we all have things we like and don't, but please give it a try.

Thanks for the info everyone! I had the same idea about skipping MK due to the similarities, but my kids would kill me. The adults want to do Epcot because of world showcase as we are planning to eat/drink our way through the world (sorry kids). Hollywood studios is the crossover park, as is Animal Kingdom. But it sounds like the experiences are more unique than I’m giving them credit for. I wish you could make only one day of the ticket park hopper, that would be the easy answer.
Do AK on the last day and upgrade your ticket for 1 day to a hopper.

I would not skip Animal Kingdom. FOP (I will pile on here) is not Soarin’. I would maybe say it’s the spiritual successor in that you’re flying, but it’s not the same thing. Saying Dinosaur is the same as Indy is like saying Tower of Terror is the same as Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout. It’s Tough to Be a Bug is no longer at California Adventure.

Infact, I would argue that AK is the park that’s most different from DL/CA.

No way would I skip AK. It’s MUCH more than just a zoo. It’s beautiful and an experience I wouldn’t want my family to miss!

Do AK on the last day and upgrade your ticket for 1 day to a hopper.

Pretty sure that no matter when you upgrade, you're still paying for PH for the full length of the ticket. So makes more sense to have that option at the beginning of the trip than pay the same amount and only be able to hop on the last day.

And to add: We are from California and had DL AP's for years. AK is our favorite WDW park. There is a show on Disney+ called The Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom that is a great look into what the park is. Might be worth a watch before your trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter