Sitting in Cedar Point missing WDW

bear_mom

DIS Veteran
Don't get me wrong we are having a good time, but it just isn't the same. CP has WDW beat when it comes to thrill rides, but everywhere else WDW wins. Cast members do a much better job at crowd control, there is a huge line out in the walkway when there is 2+ hours of que line available.

Lots of people flat out running when the park opened.

The park isn't as clean (although there is no litter) and he park has only been open an hour.

Standing in line yesterday dd was complaining. When I said she should be used to lines, she commented "but this is just a line!"

Food prices and quality is better at WDW, but CP does have a Starbucks.

Guess we will appreciate WDW that much more next spring!

(please excuse any typos or auto corrections I might have missed)

Emily

Standing in line yesterday dd was complaining. When I said she should be used to lines, she commented "but this is just a line!"

SO true! Many times at WDW, the attraction begins long beofre you are in a ride seat.

I only live about an hour from cp and I know what you mean!!! Although there were a LOT of people that had on WDW shirts..jackets..sweaters last time I went. So I kinda felt like I was "home"!!:cloud9:

I haven't been to Cedar Point since 2007, but I have a nostalgic feeling towards the park because I worked there for 3 summers when I was in college.

I try not to compare other places to WDW. Only Disney can "do Disney" - but other parks have their strong points as well.

I live a couple of hours from Cedar Point, haven't been there since we started vacationing in Disney! Although I think at age 36 I've decided to quit the spinny thrill rides. I feel too weird for too long after the ride these days! Of course my DD 10 months old will probably want to go someday and ride those rides...hmmm think that will be daddy's job to go on them with her!! :)

My sister and family were at CP yesterday, I talked to her last night and she said DH and DD loved it. DD had never been to CP and she really enjoyed the thrill rides and coasters, she also said they didnt wait longer than 30 minutes in any line...I was shocked by that, but she said it wasn't crowded at all, maybe because of the cool weather. My sister though, not a thrill ride person, said it is such a total different feel from WDW, all you do is walk from ride to ride. She also thought it could have been cleaner, especially since the park has just opened for the season. She thought things still looked older and need sprucing up, paint touch ups, that kind of thing.

We did Cedar Point a few years back in-between Disney trips. It was fun, for the thrill rides, but I was shocked at how much I spent on that overnight getaway. I think it cost us the same amount to do Cedar Point (ticket, food and bs-wise) as it does for a couple days at Disney.

The food at CP, however, was beyond horrid. Overpriced, tasteless, slow, crowded and with no variance between locales.

The CP trip served two purposes : reassured me that while Disney is not cheap, it does deliver value for the money, and made me awfully scared that CP dining is the future of Disney if they continue the DDP/homogenized dining track.

I don't think Cedar Point, or our Toronto equivalent Canada's Wonderland, pretend to be Disney wanna bes. The do what they do very well, and have their own followings.

Anyone who goes to a thrill ride park and expects haut cuisine needs to get their head examined. It looks the same coming back up no matter what it tasted like going down. :)

I was just there yesterday too! What a perfect day to be in a park. The weather was fantastic! Crowds were a bit large, but where else can you ride a coaster like the Magnum with a less than a 15 min wait. They have so many awesome rides and usually only the big headlines have waits longer than 15-30 mins. I love love love Disney, but CP give me something Disney can't compete with, amazing coasters and thrill rides! Disney can't hold a candle to the rides at CP.

I was just there yesterday too! What a perfect day to be in a park. The weather was fantastic! Crowds were a bit large, but where else can you ride a coaster like the Magnum with a less than a 15 min wait. They have so many awesome rides and usually only the big headlines have waits longer than 15-30 mins. I love love love Disney, but CP give me something Disney can't compete with, amazing coasters and thrill rides! Disney can't hold a candle to the rides at CP.

The weather was great yesterday. Today goes from warm to chilly. The crowds were pretty good too, our longest waits were 45 min for the major coasters. My dds are having lots of fun, even if the are comparing everything to Disney:rolleyes1. This is a good between our trips vacation. Two days is the most we would spend here though, compared to nine days at WDW.

Emily

I'm another CP (Canada's Wonderland) fan. I'm a thrill junkie and WDW rides just don't cut it for me.

The crowds are always so much nicer on cloudy or chillier days, which are the best days to go anyways! You won't be waiting in long lines in the burning heat of a sunny day and it's just easier to get around the park without all the sweating of a "nice" day.

And when it comes to food, I'm kind of mad they don't allow outside food in the parks anymore, but all I ever ate at CP was their foot-long hotdog anyways. I liked it when they had a drink deal a few years back, but I didn't see it this year yet.

I go to CP for the rides, not the theming, the food, or the CMs.

We live about 20 minutes from King's Island and have season passes. While it is a great park, it's definitely no WDW. My kids love to see the Peanuts characters as they are huge fans of the movies, but we usually only stay a few hours before we're bored. We are hoping to do one of their character breakfasts this year. MUCH cheaper than Disney's character meals. Hopefully it will be good. :thumbsup2

We were at CP yesterday, also. It was great weather. Maverick, my son said had a 2 hour late.... Where did you stay? We stayed 2 nights at the Great Wolf Lodge. The kids loved the waterpark.

I, too, love Cedar Point. We live about 2 1/2 hours away. I haven't been in several years because my DH doesn't do many of the rides and all the people I used to go with have moved away. I would love to go again as I am a thrill ride junkie. Think I'll see if one of my nieces will go...

Also agree CP is not WDW. NO other place is WDW! Wish I could visit more than once a year!

We were at CP yesterday, also. It was great weather. Maverick, my son said had a 2 hour late.... Where did you stay? We stayed 2 nights at the Great Wolf Lodge. The kids loved the waterpark.

We lucked out, without knowing much (there isn't a disboards for Cedar Point - the few I found aren't very active) we headed towards Millenium when the park opened (45 min wait) and then towards Maverick and got there right when it opened (30 min wait). We were actually headed for Mean Streak.

We are at the Great Wolf Lodge right now. I just showered after relaxing in the hot tub and dh and dds are still down there. Not the biggest water park, but enough for an hour or two at a time.

All in all it has been a good trip, full of memories. Something to do in our off WDW year. But all of us are looking forward to next spring.

Grew up an hour from CP and now 20 min from Kings Island and have AP. Agree, just not the same. Especially the waiting in line thing. Very spoiled by FP!! But I do enjoy some bigger thrills. Haven't been to CP in a while, excited to hopefully go soon now that my DS is starting to ride the thrill rides. LOVE Millenium Force!

I absolutely agree that WDW is superior to CP in every way, but if you happen to be at CP, see if you find a girl named Kira working in games and say hi. It's my DD! :)

My son was disappointed the the new Windseeker ride was not open, but I found out it officially opened tuesday night after we left the park......

The waterpark at GWL is small, but the kids did not care.....they had a blast and did not want to leave today.

Year after year we did CP in the summer with several other families. We always went Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and packed up to head home on Friday morning. We camped at their campground for easy access in and out of the park during the day. We have many, many fond memories of our trips to CP. Some years we even went back for Halloweekends in the Fall. But during the winter months or for Spring Break we did DW. And NOTHING compares to DW.

The two parks are totally different. We go to CP for the thrill rides and DW for the Magic. My girls, now ages 26 and 22, try to get back to CP every year, even if we cannot go as a family because of different schedules. This September we are going to DW (Port Orleans Riverside)!!! The girls are so excited. It has been 7.5 years since we were there as a family because the girls' college and high school breaks did not coincide. The girls were there on their own several times with high school groups, but it isn't the same. Three months and counting until we once again experience the Magic as a family ....

I don't think Cedar Point, or our Toronto equivalent Canada's Wonderland, pretend to be Disney wanna bes. The do what they do very well, and have their own followings.

Anyone who goes to a thrill ride park and expects haut cuisine needs to get their head examined. It looks the same coming back up no matter what it tasted like going down. :)

exactly..
i don't think CP pretends to be disney..

for what CP is, it's a really great park...has lots of stuff for all ages - not just thrill rides...

we always go for 2 days ..there is always plenty to do to keep us busy and happy for two days...

though we would never even think of comparing it to WDW, we do compare it to universal.........we MUCH prefer CP over universal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter