Single shamed at Space 220

Shawn d

Mouseketeer
Hi all. Let me start off with saying I am not against eating at a lounge/bar. My last night at Disney I had a reservation at space 220. Due to the theming of the restaurant I wanted to sit in in the restaurant. When I arrived, the hostess asked if I would be ok sitting at the bar. I politely declined and asked to sit in the restaurant. 20 minutes later she motioned for me to come. I asked her if my table was in the restaurant, and not in the lounge, to which she said yes. When I was shown my table it was as close to the bar as you could get. I tried to temper my mood. My server was good and so was the food. However, it gnawed at me and I asked to speak to the night manager who was more offended at me for daring to speak out. He was incredulous and tried telling me that his friends ate at the lounge a couple days ago at the bar with no complaints and that I shouldn’t complain. I’m sorry, but if I made a reservation at a particular restaurant and wanted an experience, I shouldn’t be guilt tripped to being shunned. I did get a discount but it was begrudgingly. I almost walked out but then I’d lose my deposit for the reservation.

Man, I'm sorry for their attitude. The manager certainly shouldn't tell you that you shouldn't be upset because others haven't been. That's just not how to handle customer service. I can understand if they typically seat larger parties in the restaurant proper, but you asked and they said they would accommodate, so they should have.

I do have a question though as I haven't been to 220 - if you do the lounge/bar do you not get to see the entire room at all, or is it just kind of a worse view of things? I'd be curious because it is likely I could be there solo sometime and thought the Lounge might be a good option.

Hi all. Let me start off with saying I am not against eating at a lounge/bar. My last night at Disney I had a reservation at space 220. Due to the theming of the restaurant I wanted to sit in in the restaurant. When I arrived, the hostess asked if I would be ok sitting at the bar. I politely declined and asked to sit in the restaurant. 20 minutes later she motioned for me to come. I asked her if my table was in the restaurant, and not in the lounge, to which she said yes. When I was shown my table it was as close to the bar as you could get. I tried to temper my mood. My server was good and so was the food. However, it gnawed at me and I asked to speak to the night manager who was more offended at me for daring to speak out. He was incredulous and tried telling me that his friends ate at the lounge a couple days ago at the bar with no complaints and that I shouldn’t complain. I’m sorry, but if I made a reservation at a particular restaurant and wanted an experience, I shouldn’t be guilt tripped to being shunned. I did get a discount but it was begrudgingly. I almost walked out but then I’d lose my deposit for the reservation.
Honestly, I think this may have been best dealt with, at that point, by going above the night manager. Clearly, Disney wouldn't condone such behavior from it's employees, so it is best, if you encounter that pushback in the future, to escalate it above the manager.

So, yes you do see all 5 or 6 windows so that is advantageous and you do see the top half much less if any of the bottom half. Definitely going to call customer service and give an account of what happened. I *should* give them another chance, but after what happened, I am strongly discouraged from going there again. In contrast, I was literally in the corner at BOG but the waitress and the atmosphere made me more welcome as was brown derby which put me in middle of dining room

I guess I interpreted her question as actually sitting at the physical bar and not about sitting in the lounge area which is part of the restaurant.

The lounge area does give you a wider range of menu options and has a good view of the entire space so that is a good thing. I think there are tables right across from each other where one is considered the lounge and one is considered the restaurant.

The actual lounge seating area is only a portion of the upper level. If you're in the lounge (a separate bookable ADR), you would order from an a la carte menu and not the prix fixed. Looking at the windows/screens the lounge seating was on the right side of the room where we've sat twice. My understanding is that restaurant seating is the upper left and everything down below. Both areas offer good views and some would argue that lounge seating is better just because you aren't forced into the high priced prix fixed menu if you want lighter fare. Where were you seated?

I would be speaking to Guest Services about that if it was me. I've had a lot of solo TS meals and I've never been sat in an undesirable area just because I was solo, but my concern is more the attitude you got from the night manager for speaking about it. I know Space 220 is third party but they should be and are held to the same standards of customer service.

? Are most of the tables further into the restaurant 4or bigger?
they may have needed to sit you in a 2 top.
I think most of the bar area is smaller tables , which is why they wanted to 'stear' you to the lounge area.

Was it actually in the lounge or in the restaurant? I'd be furious if they lied to me after asking which I was in. I've never managed to get in for dining so I don't know much about the layout. But if you were actually in the restaurant and merely close to the lounge, I guess I don't understand?

The problem is I was wanted to do and did the prix fixed.

My table didn’t even face the windows.

When I booked, I was quite specific in doing the fixed prix and sitting in the restaurant.

The initial question when I arrived by the hostess was whether I wanted to sit at the bar.

yes, the seating I was given was in the lounge, not the restaurant. It was as close to the bar as you could get and didn't even see the windows except in my extreme periphery. I could not see if there were table in the lower part. I was so upset that as soon as I got my bill I paid as quickly as I could and left immediately

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with them asking. I read of so many people reserving the restaurant because they can't get the lounge. Many would have jumped at the choice. However, that's no reason for them to cop an attitude or snark after receiving a polite no. As far as not facing a window, obviously not everyone can. I do hope at least your meal was interesting and tasty, and it's awful they got sparky.

** Edit: just saw your reply about the lounge! Even tho you can get the prix fixe in the lounge, I thought they'd at least put you in the right area. :(

I looked at some pictures, and the lounge appears to be in a seperate area, with one window, overlooking the main restaurant with the big space windows. That would indeed be pretty disappointing, especially when you requested specifically to not be there.

Man, I'm sorry for their attitude. The manager certainly shouldn't tell you that you shouldn't be upset because others haven't been. That's just not how to handle customer service. I can understand if they typically seat larger parties in the restaurant proper, but you asked and they said they would accommodate, so they should have.

I do have a question though as I haven't been to 220 - if you do the lounge/bar do you not get to see the entire room at all, or is it just kind of a worse view of things? I'd be curious because it is likely I could be there solo sometime and thought the Lounge might be a good option.
Although Space 220 doesn't rotate, I'd answer your question by comparing the seating with Garden Grill's, in that the view is better sitting closer to the edge. The lounge is towards the middle, so it's not that you don't see the room, but you aren't right next to a viewing portal.

That’s ridiculous. If you wanted to sit in the lounge, you’d have reserved the lounge. You didn’t.

It’s fine for them to ask, but you said no, so it’s a move forward at that point.

As a solo traveller I’ve been asked about sitting at the bar during busy times. Sometimes I say yes, other times I say no, no one has ever tried to find a sneaky way around my reservation. Honestly it sounds like it was handled terribly. I’m really not one to normally complain, but I don’t think some polite feedback to Disney would be out of line.

Also, in my opinion, the food on the fixed price menu at space 220 isn’t anything super special- so the experience really is what you pay for.

The two top tables in the lower restaurant seating pretty much line the wall of the lounge section, you're on the floor with kind of an awkward view of the windows, at least the table that I was at solo was ( the window that I had a good view of never really had anything happen with it but the others that I had to turn awkwardly to see had astronauts and ships moving around). But I'd have been mad too if I was sat somewhere that I didn't reserve and pay for.

Aren't the tables in the lounge area smaller than the floor tables too?

The problem is I was wanted to do and did the prix fixed.

My table didn’t even face the windows.

When I booked, I was quite specific in doing the fixed prix and sitting in the restaurant.

The initial question when I arrived by the hostess was whether I wanted to sit at the bar.
The restaurant and the lounge are two separate reservations in MDE, like different restaurants. Do you know which one you reserved? Did it require you two book a table for 2 people to reserve in restaurant? Maybe they thought you booked it by accident and wanted to steer you to a single seat. Anyway, getting a bad table is always a bummer, but someone does end up sitting there. If that was all that was available, the choice is to ask if you can wait (which can be a long time for another table to clear, or go somewhere else to eat and explain the table is not up to your expectations, I can't imagine they would charge your for not showing if you're unhappy with the setting before even ordering). My own personal experience is I don't think feedback or escalating after the fact really ever gets the desired result because you're already disappointed and that can't be undone, and getting a discount won't change the experience or memory. Hope it works out next time!

The restaurant and the lounge are two separate reservations in MDE, like different restaurants. Do you know which one you reserved? Did it require you two book a table for 2 people to reserve in restaurant? Maybe they thought you booked it by accident and wanted to steer you to a single seat. Anyway, getting a bad table is always a bummer, but someone does end up sitting there. If that was all that was available, the choice is to ask if you can wait (which can be a long time for another table to clear, or go somewhere else to eat and explain the table is not up to your expectations, I can't imagine they would charge your for not showing if you're unhappy with the setting before even ordering). My own personal experience is I don't think feedback or escalating after the fact really ever gets the desired result because you're already disappointed and that can't be undone, and getting a discount won't change the experience or memory. Hope it works out next time!

What feedback/escalation does in this scenario is tell that manager that his comments were unacceptable for a restaurant operating on Disney property, ostensibly to Disney standards of service. Regardless of what OP booked in MDE, they should not have been spoken to that way, nor should a future guest be treated in that manner.

I don't understand this complaint. You got the food and the table you wanted in a restaurant that is going to be 100% full all of the time. Someone is going to be at that table, which you think is "shaming" you?

I think it was nice to give you the option of the bar. You declined, what's the problem?

This is unfortunate. I'm really surprised a manager dismissed your complaints so readily. That is so unDisney. Just like with everything else at Disney, it's not just dining, it is, as you said, an experience. Perhaps, they were very busy, and put you at the first open table they had that was in the restaurant. It might have been helpful to have requested a table farther in the restaurant, even if you had to wait. That is what we usually do at Raglan Road, and while it is sometimes a very long wait, we are accommodated. However, that doesn't excuse the response you received. I would provide feedback to Disney on your experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter