Single Diner, Best Restaurant Choices

PatsGirl

DIS Veteran
Hi. This will be my first trip back in four years and its a solo trip. I enjoy sitting for a nice dinner with wine after a day at the parks but prefer to sit at a bar when by myself. What places are recommended for this scenario? Can I assume I won't need reservations if I"m by myself ? This is going to be like an all-new experience, I've never been without kids and I've never gone solo of course. TIA. Brenda

I have booked ADRs for my solo trip but, you don't need reservations for lounges, which might work?
I guess it depends where you want to eat, but I JUST did my ADRs, and this is my first ever solo trip too, so I can't say yet if I made good solo choices. Fingers Crossed! I hope you have an awesome time though.

When I do my solo trips, I love the Nomad Lounge in AK. Great food/ drinks. Beautiful outdoor seating (as well as indoor, if you prefer). I also like Tuned In Lounge at 50s Prime Time in HS. Other solo favs: Jungle Navigation Skipper's Canteen in MK and Boma at AKL. The Dahlia Lounge in the new Coronado Springs Gran Destino Tower is amazing. Have fun no matter what!

Flying Fish (on the Boardwalk; quick walk from EPCOT through the International Gateway) is probably my favorite place to dine at the bar. It has everything - great food & wine, beautiful setting and fantastic service - the bartenders are really great. In the same area, Crews Cup Lounge in the Yacht Club is nice and cozy with what I'd call pub food - burgers and such. Also in that area, just about all the spots in the Swan & Dolphin hotels have bars - BlueZoo, Il Mulino, Shula's - and they're used to convention attendees so typically plenty of solo diners. Jiko at the Animal Kingdom Lodge is another favorite … they have the cooking place which is like a small chef's counter where you can watch the chefs preparing some appetizers and desserts, ask them questions (if you want to) etc. I do make a reservation at Jiko though... it's quite popular and a bit of a trek to get out there - but worth it … the resort is gorgeous to explore. Just about every place in Disney Springs has a bar - my favorites are probably Boathouse, Wine Bar George and Homecomin'. In the parks, Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom, as mentioned above, and Tutto Gusto in the Italy pavilion and the Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios are all great. Note that the Brown Derby Lounge is outdoors with limited cover so it's weather permitting. Hope that you have a great trip!!

I agree with the previous recommendations for Nomad Lounge. Raglan Road is another great place to sit at the bar, and there's a fun show to watch there, too!

Had a work conference in Orlando about 2 years ago. Only time I've ever done solo and that was mainly at night. Enjoyed the Wave (the restaurant part) & Kona Cafe. It was relatively quiet and seemed comfortable to be alone.

Nomad Lounge (I didn't go solo) but have seen plenty of solos or quiet parties. The bar at the Polynesian (the little one whose name escapes me) would be great too.

The bar at the Polynesian (the little one whose name escapes me) would be great too.

Tambu Lounge. It’s nice but can get a bit slammed in the evenings with people waiting to be seated at ‘Ohana.

Crew’s Cup at YC is the truth, the burger there was the best I’ve had on property.

Agree with PP on Nomad Lounge, it’s quite pricey but they take TIW and it’s a really nice spot to chill with a drink. I got churros there last time that were amazing.

I go solo a lot, and my advice is to simply eat where you want to eat. I have never felt out of place dining solo at a Disney restaurant. I don’t make a lot of ADRs way in advance, but will sometimes check availability the night before or morning of to see what catches my eye. I am generally more comfortable physically sitting in a restaurant vs sitting at a bar (due to both the height of bar seating and the width of space allotted at a bar). I have been at Nomad and enjoyed the menu, but ended up seated with other people, which doesn’t appeal to me as much as having my own space.

I use dining periods to unwind, so comfort and quiet is important to me. That’s why dining locations are such a personal choice. Where I enjoy the quiet, others may like the opportunity to interact with others after being on their own most of the day.

Wine Bar George at Disney Springs might be one to look at. I have not been myself, but heard nothing but raves. One thing everyone mentions is how laid back and welcoming it is. Sounds like a good match for kicking back with a glass of wine.

In the parks, Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom, as mentioned above, and Tutto Gusto in the Italy pavilion and the Brown Derby Lounge in Hollywood Studios are all grea

I agree with these, I've done all three solo and love them. I also agree with the poster that said don't worry about eating anywhere when you are solo. I do both, just depends on my mood. I rarely, if ever, make ADRs any more in advance than afternoon of and have never had any problems finding somewhere to eat.

I've done solo ADRs at many restaurants and never had a problem. California Grill and Flying Fish were my favorites.
If you are looking for a lounge, Nomad, Tutto Gusto and Wine Bar George are great options with food. Enjoyed all 3.

I was also going to recommend Y&Y. There's a small bar there and you may have to wait, standing there, for a seat, but it's a really nice place to eat.

Also, the Cooking Place (I think that's the name) at Jiko (at AKL). The times I've eaten there I didn't have an ADR but I don't know what it's like right now.

As other posters have said, it's totally comfortable dining alone wherever at WDW. That's been my experience.

The only 2 places that I have had my meal at the bar was at Yak and Yeti and at Morimotos. Only because they were too busy to get a table. The lounges do fill up very fast, especially at the peak meal times and it is first come so you can not make a reservation for them. I prefer to sit at a table since I hate being at the bar and people standing right behind me, reaching around for their drinks. To me that is way more awkward then sitting at a table. If there is somewhere that you absolutely want to eat, I would book a regular table. I know it might feel weird to sit at a table at first, but it is really just in our heads. No one even notices that you are solo. There are tons of people that go to WDW solo and eat out. I would hate for you to miss out on a good meal because of this. I hate that people still feel like this as if it is the 1950s and woman can't go about without a man with them.

When I went solo I had fun eating at the Poly. The deck at Trader Sam's has a musician singing/playing guitar, or I've grabbed takeout from Captain Cooks or Kona (grab a Lapu Lapu while you wait for your Kona takeout) and take it down to the beach at Poly. I timed it so I could see the MK fireworks and the electric water pageant. SUPER relaxing laid back tropical Poly atmosphere and you get to see two shows - the fireworks and the water Pageant.

I made a reservation for one at Toppolinos on January 2nd as my group won’t be arriving until late that night. I would prefer sitting at the bar and ordering rather than being at a table by myself. I’m not sure that’s an option there. I’ll let you know. It seems like a good place to have a meal and some wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter