Signature Dinner 11/9 chocolate ravioli to chocolate toothpaste

betterlatethannever

DIS Veteran
Since nobody has posted about this dinner, you’re stuck with me and my review. I was hoping that somebody else would post because they would do a better job in describing how special this dinner was. I’m more of a Jack Webb person (“Just the facts ma’am”).

This dinner was the Piemonte Chocolate Dinner at the American Adventure. It was added after the original Signature dinners were announced. The other dinner on this date was at the California Grill and it sold out within 35 minutes (probably much sooner) of going on sale (I was on hold from 7-7:35 that morning).

Anyway, I thought they added this dinner because of all the calls I made during the next two weeks to see if there was a cancellation at the CG. ;) However, this was one special event – dignitaries from Italy, the VeeP of Epcot, and others. Photographers roaming around throughout the dinner, recording the event.

We were staying at the BWI and got to the IG at about 5:20. A CM was there to check us in. We took a towncar from the IG to the back of American Adventure. When we exited the car, a CM asked if we were there for the media portion of the dinner :confused: MEDIA PORTION. No, just the dinner. Since it was threatening to rain, we each got a complimentary Mickey umbrella. We walked through the wooden gate next to AA and waited in the front until the doors opened at 6:00.

As we entered we were offered a glass of sparkling wine (not allowed to call it champagne). We had assigned tables, and we claimed a couple of chairs. There were 14 tables of 10 chairs each set up on the main floor in the rotunda. I would say that four of the tables were for the special guests.

(For those that were wondering, the American Adventure show was still open. Guests entered through the exit.)

Shortly afterwards, hors d’oeuvres were served – a chilled salmon on a cracker; breaded mushrooms?; a miniature tomato, cheese combination on a rosemary skewer; and mozzarella & cheese on a cracker. All the appetizers were very tasty. But a tip, make sure you bite the whole tomato or else the juice squirts all over.:( (You just can’t take me anywhere ;))

As was previously mentioned, the dinner was sponsored by “Piemonte – the sweetest region of Italy”. There were wrapped candies all over, at each place setting, at the registration table, on the side tables off the rotunda. Gooooood chocolate.

There was a three piece band playing Italian songs (what else?) throughout the evening.

Before each course, a gentleman from Banfi talked about the wines, and a lady from Piemonte talked about the food. They were introduced but their names aren’t in the program and I can't remember them.

Here is what was served:

1st Course - Foglie di baccala e patate al cioccolato (In English – Salt Cod and Potato Leaves with White Chocolate)

A white wine was served– Principessa Gavia 2002

This was very good and there really only was a hint of chocolate that added to the flavor.

2nd Course – Filetto di pesce persico al cacao amaro (Perch Fillet with Bitter Cocoa and Almonds)

A white wine was also served with this course - Principessa Perlante 2001

It was very good. The perch was very thick. It was Lake Perch. I’m from Cleveland and I know Lake Erie perch and it is nowhere near that thick. I asked the waitress where the fish came from (Italy?). She asked the chef. It came from a Florida lake.

3rd Course – Agnolotti di selvaggina al cacao amaro (Wild Game Agnolotti with Bitter Cocoa Powder)

The wine was a red wine – L’Ardi Dolcetto d’Acqui 2002

This was chocolate ravioli stuffed with wild game. The ravioli were all hand made. Very very good. Our table had a little contest going on guessing what was the wild game. Road kill was mentioned (no not by me). Anyway we asked the waitress and she went back and asked the chef. It was rabbit and venison.

4th Course – Spallotto di bue brasato vecchio Piemonte al cioccolato fondente (Braised Ox Shoulder with Dark Chocolate Old Piedmont Style)

The wine was a red – Borgogno Barolo riserva 1995

The chocolate was in the gravy. Actually, I think it was the gravy. Very unusual but everything worked well together.

5th Course – Bonet al Gianduja (Gianduia Bonet) (Yes that was the English translation :jester: )

the wine was a sweet sparkling red – Banfi Rosa Regale

The course (dessert) was an ice cream cone shaped bitter dark chocolate with vanilla ice cream, white chocolate, a small chocolate cake. A perfect ending to the meal.

After the meal, we headed out to watch Illuminations where? (come on, you know) – in front of the Italian pavilion (where else). There was coffee, and cognacs and other liqueurs, and more chocolates.

At the end, each of us got a gift basket. It contained.

A box of chocolates
A Piemonte T shirt
Brochures about Piemonte and Banfi
AND CHOCOLATE TOOTHPASTE AND TOOTHBRUSH (you think the Piemonte dignitaries have a bunch of nieces and nephews coming to the US to set up dental practices? :jester: )

All in all a great time. The couple we sat next to changed their reservation from the California Grill Signature dinner to this one and they were a little concerned. But after the meal they were glad they came to this dinner.

Sorry it was so long and boring, but I warned you.
Ed

Ohhh, it sounds marvelous. Thanks for the review! Did you ever feel that the chocolate flavoring was too much in any of the dishes? (Is there such a thing as too much chocolate?)

OMG! Your review was like reading wonderful, sexy poetry!
What a fantastic opportunity for you to have attended this
magical night.
An evening with an Italian and Chocolate
theme. What could be better? I'd have to say nothing comes to mind.
How did you find out about this?

---Andra
American born Italian, chocolate lover
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Ed- My Hubbie and I were there too- and I think you did a fine job reviewing this Wonderful event! A couple addendums- they were fried breaded olives, not mushrooms (yummy); and the agnolatti were my Favorite, while braised Ox Shoulder was my Husbands fave. We both adored the private Illuminations party!

We were worried about this event- mostly because I wasn't a huge fan of the foods that the Italian Chefs made for the Party of the Senses the night before- but was much relieved when I saw Harry and Sis arrive (They have been to EVERY special Disney dining event EVER, and if they chose this event over the Ca. Grill event, then it must be okay); as well as the VP of Epcot. My worries were totally unfounded- it was a spectacular dining experience- Thanks for the memories! Jill

Originally posted by KCritter
... Did you ever feel that the chocolate flavoring was too much in any of the dishes? (Is there such a thing as too much chocolate?)

No the chocolate wasn't overpowering. It all seemed for fit in real nice. HOWEVER, if any of these dishes were a typical everyday dinner, it may get to me too much (after 5 or 10 years). LOL

Ed

Originally posted by andrabell
...How did you find out about this?

---Andra
American born Italian, chocolate lover
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

This was one of the special dinners during the F&W festival. It was added to the schedule after it was posted on the disney web site. Actually somebody posted here that the meal was added to the schedule. I called and was able to get in.

Actually, with 100+ seats available to the public, this was one of the biggest (easiest?) ones to get in.

Ed

Originally posted by nasmith
Ed- My Hubbie and I were there too- and I think you did a fine job reviewing this Wonderful event! A couple addendums- they were fried breaded olives, not mushrooms (yummy);...

Thanks for the clarification. I thought I remembered them being breaded olives but my DW (who usually is right:D ) said she throught they were something else. And, since I had all that wine and food the previous two days (food & wine pairings, Party for the Senses, hitting each food stand around the lagoon, some twice) I couldn't be sure of anything;)

BTW, have you tried your chocolate toothpaste yet?

Ed

Um, No...Sort of been afraid of chocolate toothpaste (and I'm a HUGE chocoholic!). I think it's just squirty hazlenut chocolate (sort of like Nutella), so maybe you could put it on toast? Have you tried it?? Jill

Ed/Jill,

Very nearly decided not to read this review as this was the Signature Dinner I had to give up due to prior (work) commitments and poor planning.

Finally worked up the courage to read and all I have to say is.......

WOW oh WOW!!!!

This dinner sounds absolutely stunning. I'd have to say it sounds just as special as the South Africa dinner DW and I attended last year. Would have loved to been there to share it with all of you.

By the way Ed, I think you did a marvelous job of providing a detailed review.

Brad

Originally posted by nasmith
Um, No...Sort of been afraid of chocolate toothpaste (and I'm a HUGE chocoholic!). I think it's just squirty hazlenut chocolate (sort of like Nutella), so maybe you could put it on toast? Have you tried it?? Jill

No I haven't. I guess I've been a little afraid also.

...relieved when I saw Harry and Sis arrive

Was that the old gentleman who snuck in early? ;) . Yes, I've seen him at many of the events. Who is Sis? I thought he came alone.

Ed

Originally posted by Cameo
Can I ask - What was the price of this dinner? Just curious. Sounds yummy!

I don't remember exactly, and the disney web pages about the F&W festival are already gone. But I believe it was about $140 per person.

Ed

Wow! That was some meal!! Oh and I just love Italian chocolates - ate a bunch of it just two weeks ago when we were at WDW!

Ed, I also think you did a fantastic job reviewing the dinner! Thanks so much for telling us about it. If we are there again next year for the Food & Wine, I just may have to look for it.

Wow, sounds like a wonderful meal ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter