DisneySea's Columbia
l346.jpg

Vulcania
l389.jpg

Mickey & Minnie in Mediterranean Harbour
l368.jpg

Sinbad's Adventures
l255.jpg

Help! We leave for Disney in the morning and I've borrowed a great camera so I can get night shots, but I don't know how to use it (other than auto settings).

I was playing around with it last night in the back yard and took the following shots of the church next door. I know they aren't great...what can I do to improve my nighttime photos?

TIA!
Jen

Test026.jpg

Test018.jpg

Test017.jpg

What kind of camera is it? (Brand and model) Once we know, we can recomend some settings! For example...if there's a landscape setting, try putting it on that and see what your results are like. Or when you're taking photos of people at night, if you have a setting that has a little head and a star on it (I don't know what the setting is called...twilight?), that's supposed to take a photo so that your people are illuminated and the background can be seen too. If you don't use it, your photos make turn out with very lit people with a black background.

A tripod will make all the difference in lots of nightshots.

If you have it, bring the manual with you. You can read it on the plane or car (depending on how you're travelling). I always bring my manual with me...no matter how long I've had the camera. :rotfl2:

By the way, those photos don't look too bad.

Thanks! It's a Nikon E8800 and has TONS of bells & whistles, I just haven't learned them yet. I do plan on bringing the manual with, I was just hoping for a few basic rules to start with. I wish I had more time to experiment but I just got the camera last night and we leave at 4am tomorrow.

(by the way, I didn't post the 15 pictures I took that were horrid! ;) )

Hmmmm....I use Canon cameras so I'm not much help other than the general stuff I mentioned.

Although, I did got to a website just now that said that you shouldn't change your ISO setting too high because that camera has a lot of noise at the higher ISO settings.

As for taking lots of photos and only having a few good ones...hehehe....I would consider that rather normal. ;)

Here's one I recently posted to the "WDW in the Rain" thread, it was *pouring* that night!

bus_0210.jpg

Of course! Very cool...Thanks for sharing... :thumbsup2

Here are a few from my recent trip. None were taken with a tripod as I didn't carry one around with me. For the Mexico pavillion shot I rested it on the railing there. The rest were all handheld.

Canon SD700, Main Street for MNSSHP:
IMG_0101.jpg

Canon SD700, Space Mountain with the lights on during a ride breakdown:
IMG_0646.jpg

Sony DSC-H5, One of my favorites inside Le Cellier:
DSC01497.jpg

Canon SD700, Wishes from in front of the Crystal Palace- doesn't hold a candle to vertigo's pics, but the best I could do without a tripod and my little camera (didn't bring the big one that day).
IMG_0670.jpg

Canon SD700, Fantasmic:
IMG_0560.jpg

Sony DSC H5, The Mexico pavillion at Epcot:
DSC00983.jpg

Sony DSC H5, Fish at the AK:
DSC01214.jpg

Shot my sig photo with an old manual Nikon film SLR. Sat on the street, braced my elbows against my hips, camera on my knees and held my breath!

I took this sitting on a ledge outside of Mission Space with the camera resting in my lap (it was my Canon point and shot digital). I took about 10 pictures in hopes one would come out fairly good.

85098ms_small-med.jpg

DH buying a beer at Epcot last night
47b6d711b3127cce8d1935b87fc800000016108IaMXLlm0Z4

Survivor in concert at Epcot last night
47b6d711b3127cce8d19498c7fc200000016108IaMXLlm0Z4

Illuminations
47b6d711b3127cce8d194eccbe2900000016108IaMXLlm0Z4

All handheld, no tripod, exposures were around 1/2 sec.

Hi all :wave2: I have never posted on the photography board before, so I hope you don't mind me jumping in. I look at your photos all the time and just wish I had an iota of the talent you all do! I took a flashless digital photo (does that count) at the Pop last week, and I just wanted to share it. I look forward to seeing more of all of your photos!!

65479Pop_small.JPG

Can I jump in here with a question? I'm going to WDW soon and want to get some good flashless shots of character dining interactions. Last time we went to Liberty Tree Tavern and I didn't use the flash, my son and the characters were brightly lit and the background was blacked out. I have the Dig Rebel XT - any suggestions on what settings?

Anyone care to share pictures of character dining in less than ideal lighting without a flash?

Hope it's okay that I ask a question in this thread but from the photos I've seen - you guys KNOW what you are doing.

Fabulous photos everyone - thanks for sharing!

Took this one last night thought the moon looked especially SPOOKY!!!!

Sleepy Dwarf said:
Can I jump in here with a question? I'm going to WDW soon and want to get some good flashless shots of character dining interactions. Last time we went to Liberty Tree Tavern and I didn't use the flash, my son and the characters were brightly lit and the background was blacked out. I have the Dig Rebel XT - any suggestions on what settings?

Anyone care to share pictures of character dining in less than ideal lighting without a flash?

Hope it's okay that I ask a question in this thread but from the photos I've seen - you guys KNOW what you are doing.

Fabulous photos everyone - thanks for sharing!

What lens were you using.... I would suggest the 50mm f1.8 and us Av priority,... raise the ISO to 800 or 1600 and open the lens most if not all the way up....

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter