Shoule we skip Italy and France?

pineapplaclaire

Earning My Ears
We are going in December and have planned to spend "day three" at Epcot. I have it all mapped out and feel that we should have some goal for each country (obviously the former teacher in me) :teacher: but cannot really find anything to interest my ds, dd and dn (ages 12, 11 and 8)at the Italian and French pavillions in the World Showcase. Is the 18 minute film in France interesting to kids? Is the gelato in Italy any good and /or considered a snack on the dining plan? Hanging around the fountain and buying perfume don't sound like much fun...but I guess we don't have to actually have an agenda for each spot. Any thoughts?

We always walk through each of the countries and look for something we've not seem before. We always find something, Our kids love the World Showcase, especially France. Of all the films in the World Showcase the French film is my favorite. It is beautiful and I think gives a good feel for the French culture. The theater is beautiful as well and you get to sit down and enjoy the movie, not something afforded at the other movies in EPCOT. The kids like getting a chance to sit down for a bit too. They also like to talk to the CMs in the Kidcot station and have them write a translation for a work like "friend" or "hello" in their autograph books. This year I made passpots for them so they can get a word or phrase written in each of the languages at the World Showcase.

Also in France there is also entertainment just outside the restuarant. The acrobat who balances chairs was there the last 2 years we were there. His act has some music playing. Kids generally love this.

P1011050.jpg

I think just about every country has entertainment, I think I remember a juggler in Italy.

Thank you so much for the photo! And we will love the chance to sit down at the French theater! I loved your encouraging perspective!
Can you tell me more about the passports?

My son (age 8) loves Italy and demands to go there at least once to see Sergio. Sergio does an act outside and it is great and interactive for the kids. I would check the times guide so you don't miss him.

100_0925.jpg

100_0929.jpg

The passports I think you can buy in any gift shop and they have CMs in every country who will stamp them and write something in them. Are kids are younger so we do the masks, but I see lots of older kids with the passports collecting their stamps.

Our kids have done both the masks and the passports. I think with your kids' ages I would go with the passports. You can buy them pretty much anywhere around World Showcase (I think we got ours in Canada and then worked our way around). You stop at each Kidcot station and they stamp the passport and write a little greeting in their native language. There are stickers that come with the passport that the kids put in each country. Our kids had a lot of fun with these and they're easier to carry around (and store later!) than the masks. We love just soaking up the atmostphere of each country, and the kidcot stations give the kids a destination at each pavilion. And I second the recommendation of the France movie, it's my favorite!

My vote would be no, simply because some of the most interesting and fun adventures come along totally unexpected. So while on paper you may say a place is uninteresting, once you get there.... you never know.

Ya know...I hear what you're saying, but the film on France is cool...my kids like it and we have a little tradition that we have. We always watch the film then go and get some pastries to sit and people watch for a small break. I agree the shopping at both pavillions leaves a lot to be desired. Especially with the great shopping in the other countries. We give Italy about five minutes unless there's a show and at least a half an hour or more to the other pavillions.

I wouldn't skip it. There is a lot of neat detail to see. You could point out to your kids the structures that are replicas of actual structures, and the teacher in you could teach them the names of the structures, where they are actually located and when they were built. There are also the Kidcot Funstops and the film in France. I think that both countries have toys in the shops. (For example, there are Madeline toys in France, and you could point out how the stories are set in France, etc.) There are a set of windows in France that show the story of Beauty and the Beast - also a French story (see? You could be teaching literature...LOL!). DD6 at the time noticed the Beauty and the Beast story in the windows. Without actually having to "do" something, there is plenty to see and do (although I do wish that Italy had an attraction!).

Have a great trip!

I don't really have anything to add. We always walk thru the Italy and French Pavilion areas and especially enjoy the pastries in France (actually my personal fave is the fruit and cheese plate with a Baguette. Yummy!). As the others have said, the performers in each area are always fun to watch. Anyway I just wanted to say that this thread is getting me so excited to go back in a few weeks! :goodvibes

We just got back from 7 nights at disney. Although we didn't spend much time at world showcase my 10 yo ds, was very interested in France. This was because of a book he read at school last year. "The Family under the Bridge". He was very interested and wanted to be sure to try some crepes. I was glad to see him so interested because of something he read. He also likes Italy because he is part Italian. He just likes the whole atmosphere. As a whole he enjoys world showcase. He got to try the crepes along with some ice cream in France. It was all yummy. We ate while watching street performers. whatever you decide "enjoy"!!!!

In Italy, sometimes they have a wonderful street play with lots of audience participation. It is a romantic comedy. Also, take their pictures next to the fake Trevi fountain. It's got King Triton/Poseidon? on it.

The croissants at the Patisserie in France are amazing...can't wait for worldshowcase just for my coffee (the best we've found)and a croissant for our upcoming trip.

Many thanks! You've made a believer out of me!
Plus, I will get the naughty satisfaction of seeing my not-so dear MIL's face when I tell her we are stopping in at all of the countries! Epcot is not her favorite, to put it mildly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter