Should we go or not this Summer 2018?

imee2008

Earning My Ears
My family and I (a daughter turning 8 years old, husband, and me) always went to Disney World every year since our child turned 3. We're not well-off (far from it), but we're doing fine. Every year we always say, we shouldn't go; because we need to save. But every year, we miss the fun we have; then we go. We have money to spend, but of course, you could always save the money you have.

Now, I've been looking at dates; but I'm still thinking: "Should we go or not?" Part of me says we should, because we have SO MUCH FUN as a family at Disney. We do have fun anywhere or even just staying at home. But I get so much happiness seeing my daughter having so much fun at Disney! The only thing stopping me is: we could use more money to save for the future.

I know some would say, then go somewhere else much cheaper. But I think it's also the sentimentality of going to Disney as our yearly summer vacation. And if we go, we're really only thinking of being at a value resort, and go to just 1 park. We're from the Midwest, and we always drove to Disney, stopping midway.

What do you all think?

Last edited:
I think you should go. You won't regret it. Now start planning for your Disney fun. Also sorry about your miscarriages.

My family and I (a daughter turning 8 years old, husband, and me) always went to Disney World every year since our child turned 3. We're not well-off (far from it), but we're doing fine. Every year we always say, we shouldn't go; because we need to save. But every year, we miss the fun we have; then we go. We have money to spend, but of course, you could always save the money you have. I've had 2 miscarriages (2015 & 2017), and we're still trying... 2 of our vacations were because we wanted to have fun in spite of what had happened.

Now, I've been looking at dates; but I'm still thinking: "Should we go or not?" Part of me says we should, because we have SO MUCH FUN as a family at Disney. We do have fun anywhere or even just staying at home. But I get so much happiness seeing my daughter having so much fun at Disney! The only thing stopping me is: we could use more money to save for the future.

I know some would say, then go somewhere else much cheaper. But I think it's also the sentimentality of going to Disney as our yearly summer vacation. And if we go, we're really only thinking of being at a value resort, and go to just 1 park. We're from the Midwest, and we always drove to Disney, stopping midway.

What do you all think?
If you really want to go you should go. Your little girl won't be little forever. Enjoying your life in the present and making memories are just as important as saving money for the future. Since money is the issue, I recommend that you save by staying offsite, rather than by not going at all.

I think you should go. You won't regret it. Now start planning for your Disney fun. Also sorry about your miscarriages.

Thank you! Been looking at dates, and just really need to finally say, "Ok. We're going to reserve this now."

I think a break can be good. Do something else this year?

Just really thinking of Disney. It has already become our "yearly" summer vacation. We've gone to some other vacations, but still... nothing beats our Disney vacations. What I have realized is that other vacations are cheaper, but we still spend; so even though Disney's more expensive, the experience is also so much more :)

If you really want to go you should go. Your little girl won't be little forever. Enjoying your life in the present and making memories are just as important as saving money for the future. Since money is the issue, I recommend that you save by staying offsite, rather than by not going at all.

Thank you!

I really like what you said about our "little girl won't be little forever"! Maybe she'd still enjoy Disney even though she's older, but that time is still a "maybe". Now, yes we're pretty sure she'd love it!

If more people could tell me who had experienced the same "dilemma" I have right now, and yet they still went and everything's ok with them (financially) now/the years after; it'll make me feel much better going through with "the planning and deciding".

Your family sounds a lot like ours...we are not well off either but I agree your DD will not be young forever and you should make the most of it.

We have always gone to WDW with a budget and it totally can be done. We have also gone with extended family sometimes who shared some of the expense which really helps.

We always drive down, stay offsite and typically eat counter service or offsite. I bring our own water and we have a set budget of 150 when it comes to souvenirs.

We have gotten really lucky with Hotwire blind hotel deals. Last year we stayed at a beautiful 1 bed/bath full kitchen, washer/dryer condo for 6 days and spent less than $700 including tax and fees.

So I say do it...here's hoping we do it again later this year!!!!

That's nice to know about Hotwire deals! I'll take a look into that, too! Thank you!!!

We're the only Disney crazies in the family and in our group of friends, so there's really no one to split accommodation costs with.

We're getting near to deciding to go ahead with the vacation :)

I love visiting the forums, because I get to share our love for Disney! Some of our family and friends don't understand most of the times why we keep going back.

Your family sounds a lot like ours...we are not well off either but I agree your DD will not be young forever and you should make the most of it.

We have always gone to WDW with a budget and it totally can be done. We have also gone with extended family sometimes who shared some of the expense which really helps.

We always drive down, stay offsite and typically eat counter service or offsite. I bring our own water and we have a set budget of 150 when it comes to souvenirs.

We have gotten really lucky with Hotwire blind hotel deals. Last year we stayed at a beautiful 1 bed/bath full kitchen, washer/dryer condo for 6 days and spent less than $700 including tax and fees.

So I say do it...here's hoping we do it again later this year!!!!

It's ok about the family...my parents and in laws don't quite get it either...my 2 SILs totally do, they both go several times a year for last 3 yrs.

So, yes look into Hotwire. I would think about regular day passes instead of hoppers if you think you could get away with it. There's so many ways to cut corners, it's kind of a fun challenge. I know I will have my work cut out for me if we go in the fall.

There is a Kid sized deal going on for the summer that includes free dining when you stay onsite..I just was looking at it and its pretty reasonable, you're also lucky that your daughter gets the less costly ticket as well.

Last edited:
I haven't checked that kid-sized deal yet. I'll see if it'll be "worth" it. I'm thinking of not spending so much this time (only 1 park, no character dining, no Disney outlet shopping, etc)

It's ok about the family...my parents and in laws don't quite get it either...my 2 SILs totally do, they both go several times a year for last 3 yrs.

So, yes look into Hotwire. I would think about regular day passes instead of hoppers if you think you could get away with it. There's so many ways to cut corners, it's kind of a fun challenge. I know I will have my work cut out for me if we go in the fall.

There is a Kid sized deal going on for the summer that includes free dining when you stay onsite..I just was looking at it and its pretty reasonable, you're also lucky that your daughter gets the less costly ticket as well.

It depends on how many days you were thinking of. I know for us, we could do better but I'm always intrigued by the free dining and I've always wanted to try a Disney resort, Magic Bands and all. But yeah, I think being off property is better savings overall. Plus for tickets at a discounted rate, you could try Undercover Tourist. They're reputable and stand behind what they sell. Run the numbers and see what makes sense.

It depends on how many days you were thinking of. I know for us, we could do better but I'm always intrigued by the free dining and I've always wanted to try a Disney resort, Magic Bands and all. But yeah, I think being off property is better savings overall. Plus for tickets at a discounted rate, you could try Undercover Tourist. They're reputable and stand behind what they sell. Run the numbers and see what makes sense.

We have tried the dining plan on our first time. Since it was my daughter's birthday that time, and she was still free; it was "cheaper" to purchase it. It was really worth it since we only paid for two adults. The 3 y/o below is free to get from the kids menu. That was the only time we had the plan. It should be worth it if you're really planning to eat at all Disney restaurants during your vacation. Since we drive, we get to choose which restaurant to go to outside Disney, so we never purchased it anymore.

Now, I am just hoping that Frontier brings back their promo from our city; then we'll go. I think just like what we did before, we'll just save after our trip. Memories are priceless.

We just watched a video of my kid when she was 3 when she found out we were going to Disney. If we haven't gone that time, we won't have that video now to watch and say, "Awww... Look how little and cute she is!" :)

Thanks everyone for the responses! I really appreciate it!!!

When you speak of Frontier I'm guessing you're talking about cable. Have you cut the cord? There's another way to save some money. We stopped paying for cable and home phone (all 3 of us have cell phones) at least 3 years ago. Our bill went from $130 to $70/mo. (for internet only when we lived in CT) and now in NC for Internet only we pay $45/mo. We have Hulu for 11.99/mo, an antenna on our tv for local channels and that's it. I wondered why we didn't do it sooner but my daughter had a lot of shows she liked and I didn't realize we could still watch them online or on Hulu or Netflix. Can also look at your car insurance and shop around to see if you're missing out on savings. Did this last year and realized that I was overpaying by $158/mo. and we have better coverage now just with a different company. My inlaws were able to save thousands by switching their car insurance simply because they switched to a major carrier and left a local car insurance broker which was a "friend" of the family...some friend.. Just ideas of how to save which may help with your trip :)

Last edited:
When you speak of Frontier I'm guessing you're talking about cable. Have you cut the cord? There's another way to save some money. We stopped paying for cable and home phone (all 3 of us have cell phones) at least 3 years ago. Our bill went from $130 to $70/mo. (for internet only when we lived in CT) and now in NC for Internet only we pay $45/mo. We have Hulu for 11.99/mo, an antenna on our tv for local channels and that's it. I wondered why we didn't do it sooner but my daughter had a lot of shows she liked and I didn't realize we could still watch them online or on Hulu or Netflix. Can also look at your car insurance and shop around to see if you're missing out on savings. Did this last year and realized that I was overpaying by $158/mo. and we have better coverage now just with a different company. My inlaws were able to save thousands by switching their car insurance simply because they switched to a major carrier and left a local car insurance broker which was a "friend" of the family...some friend.. Just ideas of how to save which may help with your trip :)

Oh, I was talking about Frontier Airlines. Sorry! No cable - it's been 10 years. 8 years for no landline. What insurance do you have?

For a long time, I was hesitant to use Frontier Airlines; but friends have been using it to go to Mexico and Orlando. My friends told me that they never had a problem. Since we're more than 10 hrs away from Orlando, we need to check in somewhere. And if you add up everything vs Frontier's promo, we just save $100 or less by driving.

Just curious..from where you are how many hours straight to WDW? When we lived in CT, we traveled 15-16 hrs in 1 day to make it to Georgia. So if it was in that range you could do it in 1 day and eliminate a hotel stay. Now it's only about 8 hrs for us so I'm pumped for next trip..

I had State Farm and paid 158 mo for 1 car. Switched to Geico and now have 2 vehicles on policy and pay 107/mo. Crazy.. Anyhow, any way possible to make the trip happen right?? I know I'm doing my damndest.

We have a shorter way than CT. That's a really long drive! 14-15 hrs the whole way for us. 8-9 hrs to get to Atlanta. We tried once driving straight, and that wasn’t good —- we were like zombies arriving at Disney!

My husband and I will be looking into changing our insurance providers. Thanks for that idea!

We're in a similar position. We have been there almost every year since my 8.5 year old turned 2, and every year we say we shouldn't go. But we always seem to find a way to make everything work financially. Both my husband and I have lost parents, and making these memories with our kids is important to us. I also had my 2nd miscarriage in October, and I started planning our August 2018 trip shortly after. It definitely helped with my healing. We have been able to keep the cost relatively low (for Disney!) in the past by driving, staying off property, and limiting our dining options. I say go for it! Kids don't stay little forever, and these memories are important!

Yeah I'm like some kind of warrior once I get behind the wheel and I do ALL the driving..I'm more calm than DH and he's better with the GPS. It's not for everyone though.

Yeah def look into the insurance thing, it never hurts to shop around...
Good luck with your trip planning, your daughter is very lucky!!

We're in a similar position. We have been there almost every year since my 8.5 year old turned 2, and every year we say we shouldn't go. But we always seem to find a way to make everything work financially. Both my husband and I have lost parents, and making these memories with our kids is important to us. I also had my 2nd miscarriage in October, and I started planning our August 2018 trip shortly after. It definitely helped with my healing. We have been able to keep the cost relatively low (for Disney!) in the past by driving, staying off property, and limiting our dining options. I say go for it! Kids don't stay little forever, and these memories are important!

I’m so sorry to hear about your 2nd miscarriage. I hope that the pixie dust will turn to baby dust for us this year. Just to see my child’s face light up when she asks if we’re going to Disney is such happiness for me... And I know that it’s double the happiness when we’re already there. Disney here we come!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter