• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should we downgrade- opinions wanted!

With all the other things you are seeing and doing I would downgrade. We stay deluxe because we have been to Disney so much and want to hang at the resort. Not that some of the moderates don't look relaxing. I would pick CSR which looks beautiful and the transportation is supposed to be really good and they don't share buses, even the deluxe share buses to some of the parks. If you have to have Queen beds then I would try AKL or WL which are deluxe but are much less $$ than Poly. Both of them are beautiful resorts with Queen beds. I would check them and see which appeals to you the most. If your going to spend lots of time at the resort than stay at the Poly. But if not that I would switch because it's like throwing $$$ away.

We took an extended family vacation in Dec. of 2006. We needed 4 rooms for our group of 13. Since my MIL was going I wanted to be sure to be at a resort that she could relax in. I knew she would not be in the parks all the time with us and I wanted her to be somewhere she felt safe and comfortable. (She has macular degeneration and cant see very well). I especially wanted her to be in a hotel with interior corridors and a big lobby to sit and relax in so she wouldnt have to stay in her room the whole time. (The values dont have a nice relaxing lobby to sit in and in case of a rainy day you would be stuck in your room- if Grandma choose to stay back). We choose the WL and it was a great choice for our family. We got 4 standard rooms that were right above the lobby and they were convienent to the main lobby and gift shop and bus stop. Im wondering why grandma needs a whole room to herself? I would think that would save tons of money if she bunked with someone else. My MIL shared a room with my oldest DD17 and my Sister in Law. Good luck making your decision.

I have read the whole thread. I love the Poly, but is seems that justifying the $ is really hard for you to do. (I totally see that reasoning.) It is beautiful and transportation is great.
I think your schedule is pretty ambitious. Our first trip we had that same idea. After a couple of days, everyone was miserable (well, as miserable as one can be at Disney ;) ) and grouchy. We were just so tired and keeping everyone racing around at the same pace...the more relaxed trip was more enjoyable. That is our family.
LY we did a split stay: Poly and AKL. DH and my kids preferred AKL! I thought it was great, too. MIL joined us while there. MUCH better for her, IMO. She kept up, but also got tired and needed a break. I think if our kids were younger, they would have needed that cat nap or quick swim, also. MIL was able to stay back and enjoy the resort. There is so much slower paced activity and so much to see there. I didn't feel bad at all about leaving her for a while. I know she didn't mind, either.
AKL really has that wow factor as soon as you enter.
Transportation was way better than I expected. No shared buses and didn't have to wait long for one to come along. (Actually, aside from MK, we got from point A to point B quicker at AKL than when at Poly).
Plus, the Q vs double bed factor. I need a good night's rest when there and having a Q is better for me. If you can get a room with bunk beds for the kids, if they are anything like mine, they will love it. My boys were so tired of sharing a bed at Poly that having their own was a huge plus.
But, your family will have a great time no matter what you choose. Don't stress too much (easier said than done). You will be with your family and you will be at Disney -- doesn't get better than that.:goodvibes

The fact is we are saving over $2,000..this is a fact that just cannot be overlooked! And the way we look at it, yes, a resort choice does factor into the overall feeling of your vacation. However, regardless of where I stay, I will still cry when I walk into the Magic Kingdom and see the castle. My kids will still scream with delight when we plunge down Splash Mountain for the
8th time, I will still get goosebumps when we come up over the horizon on the Kilimijaro Safari and they play that music while I look for elephants and giraffes, my son will still sit wide eyed as we go through Small World for the
12th time, I will still choke up when the Beast turns into the prince at the show in MGM Studios , our steaks will still melt in our mouths when we dine at LeCelier, my dh and i will still cringe when our dd asks to go on Figment for the 5th time and our Chocolate Covered Mouse Ears Ice Cream will still be the best tasting treat in the WORLD....wherever you decide to stay, you will undoubtedly have a most magical gathering. Good Luck!:thumbsup2

Thank you so much for this- you had me tearing up as I tried to read it over the phone to my Mom. I appreciate everyone's responses. The final decision has been to stay at the Poly but go down to 4 rooms. This will save us around 2500. Our family really wants this to be a magical memorable once in a lifetime event. I think that the monorail is going to be invaluable with my 3 year old and my grandmother.

Now- after this trip we will have to be a value or mod family! For everyone worried about the pace we have set for ourselves- this is the pace that my aunt's family keeps every trip they have made. Our family is very busy. Now of course- if we get there and find out it is too much- the schedule can be adjusted for each person as needed. I have a feeling that my sister and BIL and my grandma will all kind of do their own thing alot! We have actually scheduled in resort time and some free time as well!

Thanks again guys for all your input- I just LOVE this place :disrocks: !!!

Crystal

We spend very little time in the resorts when at Disney. Let's face it you are going to Disney for the first time. there is so much to see. I would much rather lengthen my stay then go deluxe. I have only been to Disney 2 times with a third coming in September. Every time we go we up the length of our stay. I just never get tired of being in WDW.

My kids are 8, 7, & 3. Last trip we did take our youngest back to the room to nap. We stayed at All Star Movies. The kids chose the hotel. We loved it. The transportation was great. However, we will be renting a stroller our next stay form Disney. Hauling strollers on any of the transportation is not fun.

We have been to deluxes for meals. We love to see all the different resorts. Our upcoming trip is for 17 people. The majority of our meals are planned for resorts. We will be staying at POP. I feel the kids have more freedom to be kids.

My husband and I usually share a bed with the kids to give us more room. We are use to a king size bed. We also put one of our children in with my parents for the trip to accomodate 4 to a room.

I really feel the values with kids are so much fun. I would try a deluxe. My kids do not even want to go to a moderate. They love all the icons.

Sorry I rambled. I hope this helps you.
:dance3:

Me:laundy: DH:rolleyes1 DS8:wizard: DD7princess: DS3pirate:

2004 Off site (NEVER AGAIN):sad2:
2006 All Star Movies (loved it!):rotfl:
2007 Pop Century (free dining!!!) Can't Wait.popcorn::

:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

The final decision has been to stay at the Poly but go down to 4 rooms.
. Our family is very busy. Now of course- if we get there and find out it is too much- the schedule can be adjusted for each person as needed. I have a feeling that my sister and BIL and my grandma will all kind of do their own thing alot! We have actually scheduled in resort time and some free time as well!
Crystal
:banana: Doesn't it feel great to just make the final plan, regardless of what it is and no longer have to worry about it. At least for me, I always feel a relief. (I worry so much about things being perfect).
It seems that you do have a perfect trip lined up.
As far as the pace, you know your family better than anyone here. :)
Everyone will love the Poly. Have a great trip.

Congratulations on reaching your final decision… sometimes you go back and forth… do this or that… stay here or there… BUT when you get there that WDW Magic kicks in. Whether it’s your first trip or the umpteen trip, when you see the castle for the first time on that given trip you feel the goose bumps/chills everywhere!!! That’s when you realize that everything has worked out, as it usually does for the best, and your family will have that “Magical” experience that everyone will cherish for a lifetime.

Enjoy the Magic,

Mark

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter