Should I upgrade to a Water View at POR?

argue

Mouseketeer
Staying at POR in August, during value season. I am booked for a standard, but would like a nice view. Are there any good views in the standard rooms? Or should I do a water view for $15 more a night?

Here are the prices

Standard View $145
Value Season
Water View $160

I did standard view last time I visited POR and this time I am doing water view..not sure if it'll be worth the extra $200 or so I am paying for the nights I am going since unlike when I stayed @ CSR we had a parking lot view--that was hideous (though CSR is my fave resort don't get me wrong) and POR with standard view we got lush green landscaping to look at, no cars or trash bins. I personally don't think there is a bad view @ POR. Maybe others will disagree so I'll stick around to see ;)

If you're going to be spending a lot of time at your resort during daylight hours, then it might be worth it to spend the extra money on the water view - just be sure to specifically request a river view or you might find yourself looking at one of the quiet pools. However, if you're going to be running around the theme parks like a commando (not that there's anything wrong with that) and merely using your room for a place to unwind after dark and sleep, then save your money. Once the sun goes down, all the views are pretty much the same. :) Depending on the size of your travel party - I do recommend spending the extra money for the king bed. IMO, that's money well spent!

No, I can't see in any case where it would be. The rooms are motel style rooms - although on the 1st floor you'd actually maybe be able to see something from the room easier. It just doesn't matter to me in a motel hotel what is outside since I can't enjoy it so easily.

I would never spend the extra money.

we have done the waterview at the CBR. In my opinion it is not worth it at a moderate since you do not have a balcony. The walkway is right in front of the doors so in less you leave your shades open (so everyone can see inside your room) you really don't get to enjoy the view. We get the standard and save the extra $$ for a fun dinner or to buy something.

Even though there is no balcony it is nice to stand or sit outside your room and enjoy the view. I have booked water view as one time we stepped outside the room and saw the parking lot:sad2:

I personally wouldn't spend the money on it. The water view isn't necessarily of the river but could be a small swamp or the pool. We always stay in a standard room and have received a "swamp" view on many occassins. Some people might not care for this view but we like it. Also, POR is so lush and green that a regular view is just as nice IMO. When we wnat to see the water we take a walk along the river.

Just returned from POR & though it would have been nice to have a 'river view' room, it seemed to me that there weren't many rooms that offered that. Maybe a partial view & be careful because a waterview room can also mean the pool. I would just book a regular room & maybe ask if anything is available upon checkin. The landscaping is so beautiful there, & there are benches & nice areas to sit & relax on after a long day. My recommendations would be to try to ask for a room in AB # 14, 18, 27 , 38. Not really sure about the mansions, but the whole resort is just beautiful. I would keep your money & maybe keep your fingers crossed. Here's some dust:wizard:

POR is our favorite and I took a standard room and lo and behold it overlooked the parking lot YUCK! Tried to upgrade and nothing was available, for us it was just NOT what we wanted and we really decided then and there we'd always get water view...I just prefer to not take that chance again, so I always pay for water view and have never been by the pools, but stay with a view of the river (lucky?, maybe), which we love!!!

I think it is certainly a personal preference but if Cost is the real factor then I'd just stay standard and ask at check in if you could AVOID the parking lot "vew" if it "bothers you to take the chance, upgrade and I don't think you'd be disappointed.
Have a wonderful time whatever you decide!!
As an aside, I don't think POR qualifies as a "motel", it is a moderate RESORT and has many amenities, beautiful grounds, etc...When I think "motel" I think motel 6 or something like that. I was a little taken aback when another poster said it was just a motel room???? If thats what I was willing to stay in, I certainly wouldn't pay 160 a night...

I had used the words motel-style, as the door leads out to a walkway/breezeway and not an internal hallway. If I was having a balcony, it sometimes matters to me what is outside - but not always in that case either.

I usually stay at the Pop Century. It is a motel-style hotel, and it matters to me not at all what the location or "view" is - because I cannot see the view easily without leaving my blinds open and walking to the window (or outside). $15 plus tax (about $17.00 per night) seems a lot to me for a view that isn't one that I can enjoy like having a balcony.

That said - if someone wants to spend more, that is fine too. I certainly enjoy the moderate resorts (though I usually stay at the values now). But I don't spend extra for views or preferred, there is no value there for me in doing so. But for some guests, there is. $160 is a lot - I don't spend that much normally on a hotel unless it's something that will completely knock my socks off, I always stay at Disney with a good discount. $160 plus free dining for a family, THAT is a bargain! (POFQ is my personal favorite moderate).

Personally, I'd never pay one penny extra for a water view room at any of the WDW moderate resorts. Your door and window open onto an exterior corridor, the walkway people use to get to and from their rooms. So if you are in your room with your curtains wide open enjoying the view, then everyone walking by has a great view of YOU!

Magicmouse2, I'm really hoping that when you talk about sitting outside your room that it's been a first floor room every time.:thumbsup2 One of my HUGE pet peeves is people who bring chairs out onto the 2nd floor corridors and partially block it, so people just trying to walk by on a public walkway have to walk around the selfish obstacle.

Just add to your reservation that you want a room that does NOT look out on a parking lot. It almost always works for me. I've learned from experience that it rarely pays to pay additional for a water view or preferred room. I have the kind of luck with this that I will get the preferred room that is the farthest away from anything or the waterview room that actually looks out on a tree that is obscuring the view of the water. I'm not joking! Actually, there are lots of rooms at POR that look out on beautiful courtyards.

Staying at POR in August, during value season. I am booked for a standard, but would like a nice view. Are there any good views in the standard rooms? Or should I do a water view for $15 more a night?

Here are the prices

Standard View $145
Value Season
Water View $160

I never recommend that any pay for a "water" view room at any of the moderates. The moderates are all set up like motels. The door to your room opens onto a public walkway. You do not have a patio or balcony to sit on and enjoy the view. If a standard view room is avaiable take that is use the extra money per night on other things.

DH and I have stayed at POR 5 times. The last 2 times we booked water view. The first time we were overlooking a quiet pool in the mansion section (I believe it was Magnolia) and last year we were in Oak Manor with a view of the river and the lobby area. We tend to spend a fair amount of time at the resort and we feel the extra cost is worth it for us. We had parking-lot views our first two visits to POR...we really felt like we were staying in a motel. With the water view, we feel like we are right in the middle of things! It works for us! :)

I wouldn't pay for a waterview at a mod. Let me rephrase that I won't do it again. We actually paid for a waterview at CSR last trip and it was quite useless. You have a public walkway and so we didn't want to leave our curtains open to enjoy the view. Also a waterview could be of a fountain, pool, or lake or river. So I would pocket the extra and go w/ a standard. Good luck.

If I stay at POR again, I would pay for water view. My reasons are because the water view rooms tend to be located closer to the food court and pools, and just more convient to everything. Last two times at POR, I got rooms in the farthest back corner of mansion Parterre Place, overlooking the parking lot. I felt soooo removed from everything, I hated it. :( I used to think views at moderates were useless, but nowadays I changed my thinking. I rather have a convenient room near something pretty to look at, as opposed to the lonely back corners of the parking lot. I am tired of always getting the same parking lot views! :(

While the water views at the moderates are not always "True" water views, I think the extra $15 a night is worth it just to ensure that you dont get a parking lot view. LOL

We paid for a waterview at CBR in Aug of 06 and when we arrived, we requested a king as well. Out "Water view" turned out to be a view of a quiet pool that was almost completely blocked by shrubbery. I called and requested a different water view and they said there were VERY FEW king water views in the entire hotel, but they would check. Much to our delight, they found us one and we moved (I believe it was Martinique...just a quick walk over the bridge and we were at the food court and main pool). We were on the ground floor, corner room...the view out the front window was of the water and beach area and out the side window, we saw more water...it was GORGEOUS! It also seemed to be really slow that the hotel that week, because we left our blinds open all day (for 4 days) and barely every saw anyone walk by). It was just a wonderful birthday stay and now has CBR on the top of my Moderate list.

(I believe it was Martinique...just a quick walk over the bridge and we were at the food court and main pool).
Just in case there are any future CBR guests out there ...

If you were just across the bridge from Old Port Royale, then you were in Aruba or Jamaica.

If I stay at POR again, I would pay for water view. My reasons are because the water view rooms tend to be located closer to the food court and pools, and just more convient to everything. Last two times at POR, I got rooms in the farthest back corner of mansion Parterre Place, overlooking the parking lot. I felt soooo removed from everything, I hated it. :( I used to think views at moderates were useless, but nowadays I changed my thinking. I rather have a convenient room near something pretty to look at, as opposed to the lonely back corners of the parking lot. I am tired of always getting the same parking lot views! :(

Ditto!!!

Hi! We stayed last summer at POR and we had a view of a parking lot in bldg 14. It didn't bother us at all. We would leave the room by 7:30 in the mornings and other than maybe stopping back mid-afternoon to shower and change for dinner, didn't use our room until late bedtime. On top of that, we never left our blinds open when we were there as people were constantly walking by to get to their rooms and would have seen us in our room. The ONLY time we would have noticed the view difference is when we left each morning on our walk to the bus stop. But everyone is different, people use their rooms differently and prioritize spending on different things. We are dollar watchers so the money savings was more important than the view on the way to the bus. You may spend far more time in your room and that view could be worth it to you. Enjoy your stay! We loved POR, whatever the room! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter