Should I rent my points or try RCI?

dairyqueenmom

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remembe
We are trying to make plans for our 2010 summer vacation. We think we need to take a year off of Disney World. Should we rent our points? or try a trade with RCI. We will need a two bedroom, that will be well over 200 pts for a two bedroom, I think most of the places we are looking at, summer is high season. Or should we just rent our points and pay out of pocket for our reservations? Renting our points seems scary but, having the freedom to stay where ever we want is a positive.

I had a similar decision to make this year with points I wasn't able to use. After some research, I decided to offer to transfer my points to another member. It is safer than renting (they become the members points and you can't be held responsible). You then can use the $ to stay where ever you like and not be tied to RCI. One down side is that you can only transfer out of a use year once so you need to transfer all to one member.
Good luck

In my opinion, there is no single "correct" answer to this question.

A two bedroom in RCI high season is 270 points. Whether or not that is an equitable trade is a function of (a) the time of year the DVC member is looking to trade into, (b) the particular RCI property they would be going into and (c) the comparable cost of points for a two bedroom at their preferred DVC resort at the same time of year. All of those vary and the "RCI quality" element in particular appears to be highly subjective (what I think is a great resort you may not and vice versa).

The idea of renting points as previously observed has the upside of allowing the use of the income to stay at properties outside the DVC/RCI trade universe. The downside from my experience (in doing many "pro-forma" calculations on this) is the fact the "street booking" cost of the the top shelf resorts we're interested in is often far more than the value of the 270 points cited earlier. Ergo, I have found targeted, careful trading to offer more value (in terms of oustide resort "quality-bang-per-point) than renting.

Put differently, the 270 point cost I've found for prime times at some "Disney-comparable" II and RCI properties is less than the points required to stay at DVC properties during the same time of year. But again, that's based on my subjective view of resort quality (what I'm defining as "top shelf" may be different than what others do). You will find plenty of DIS members offering opinions on what comparable trades are, but they are qualitative in nature (there's no chart anywhere that uses objective "metrics" to assess which RCI properties are up to "DVC standards.")

I like the idea of a transfer vs. renting. I think I will pursue that 1st.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter