Short trips “worth it”?

katyringo

DIS Veteran
what do my fellow dis peeps think?

We are debating a quick trip for my sons birthday Labor Day weekend. It would include a day at LEGOland and LEGO land hotel because he’s watched YouTube videos of that hotel and is begging to go there, and 2 days at Disneyland. That’s all our schedules can allow until spring 2020..

I have airline points that will cover half the flight cost.. but flights for all of us will still cost about $700. Trying to decide before get away today ends the 2018 price promotion.

Worth it ?

I’m a vacation enabler; I always think it’s worth it.

I mean, a lot of people just go to DL for one day! Since you know the lay of the land, you can get a lot out of two days.

I KNOW... I’m a Disneyland addict, but gosh part of me is like save those points for a big trip!

Since you are in the "area" already, I say its worth it. (But I say, any time at Disney is always worth it!) Plus, Star Wars Land should be open by September, so you get to see it twice.

Kriss :tink:

I KNOW... I’m a Disneyland addict, but gosh part of me is like save those points for a big trip!
What airline are you flying? If Southwest and the flights go on sale, you can get credited the price difference. I’ve never had that happen, but my MIL does it all the time supposedly lol.

The fact the you’re asking here means the price is making you uncomfortable. When price makes me uncomfortable, I hold off.

Dude, do it! LEGOLAND is so much fun kids under 12. And the hotel....wow. They will love it!

And only 2 days at DL? No problem. We went there in late July for just one day. Got a park hopper. Hit DL early and then over to DCA. Watched PtN and then Fireworks back at DL. Yeah, we ran a lot, but we got a ton in. We had so much fun.

DO IT!!!!

I also say do it as long as you're comfortable with the price. As a PP mentioned if you're using Southwest and booking on points keep watching the price as you can get points back. (I'm one of those people who get lucky and get points back on occasion, but I am also in NorCal.)

I say GO!

We've done a couple of one day trips, even, and I found them to be totally worth it.

I’m new to Disneyland. We have been disneyworld regulars and made our first short trip to Disneyland December 27th-29th and had a blast. We didn’t know the layout as good as I would like and still had an amazing time. Max pass is awesome! I say do it. Like everyone is saying....it’s Disney!

Provided you go with tempered expectations due to the holiday, I'd say yes. Beware of the brutal traffic on the 5 feeeway just south of San Clemente. North and south bound lanes.

This is very true, especially on a holiday weekend. Maybe you can take the train?

The train is excellent, but it limits your coming and going times. Still, I made the mistake of driving down to Carlsbad and back for a Legoland trip on Labor Day weekend a couple of years ago. Never again. We sat in traffic for twice as long as normal and it's generally pretty bad even without the holiday crowds. Take the train.

If you were by any chance looking to be talked out of it, I think you're in the wrong place! Disney enablers unite -- go for it and make magical memories! (We've been known to stop by for just an hour on our way to someplace else!)

Hahah! The traffic piece helps. We were planning on LEGO land on actual Labor Day. Would the traffic be just as bad as compared to the weekend? The LEGO land hotel is cheap that night because the park is closed the next day...

We haven’t committed yet.

Something else for the group to consider is if we are debating on making this a bigger trip with 3 full Disneyland days and a LEGO land day... but we would have to cut some costs on our usually dinning and spending choices,l

Or wait it out until spring 2020 and we could do The Whole sha-bang. Couple days at LEGO land and 4-5 days Disneyland with chracter meals and show packages.

I’m leaning towards the wait it out.... it’s hard for this Disney addict, but the trip would be less rushed and include more.

We can’t do both. Flights really keep us from being the true Disneyland go’ers we are meant to be..

Okay I am going to help from the other side since this Forum rarely tells people to not go.

If you are thinking of doing spring 2020 and that trip would be much more relaxed and longer, then as hard as it is, I'd wait it out if I were you especially if you have not committed to anything yet. Especially considering labor day 2019 and spring 2020 are both after Star Wars land opens.

It's easy to get into the Disney spell and start making decisions that are in your heart and not your head - but in the end consider which option you would regret more - do you think if you do this trip as short as sweet as it might be - would you regret it?

Okay I am going to help from the other side since this Forum rarely tells people to not go.

If you are thinking of doing spring 2020 and that trip would be much more relaxed and longer, then as hard as it is, I'd wait it out if I were you especially if you have not committed to anything yet. Especially considering labor day 2019 and spring 2020 are both after Star Wars land opens.

It's easy to get into the Disney spell and start making decisions that are in your heart and not your head - but in the end consider which option you would regret more - do you think if you do this trip as short as sweet as it might be - would you regret it?

Thank you! ExCtly. I think I have to listen to my head instead of my heart that says “go and go ASAP” lol...

Waiting equals a “better” trip.. I think.

Thank you! ExCtly. I think I have to listen to my head instead of my heart that says “go and go ASAP” lol...

When I get in these situations, it helps me to make spreadsheets for both trips. Expenses, hotels, perks, pros, cons, etc. When I can see in black and white what Trip A looks like right up against Trip B, the decision is usually much easier to make (even if I really, really want Trip A NOW).

I think waiting and being able to plan a really fun trip will be the smart decision in the long run. Disney trips are expensive! It’s fun to plan one when you don’t have to count every penny, and can do some of the things you really enjoy that may cost a little more. Not that it’s easy to wait....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter