SHIP OF FOOLS SISTERHOOD - Strong & Healthy in 2005!!!

Ok, I've been lax in posting over here about the WW topics and my own progress. I did come down last week, but still above two weeks ago. I've made a decision, we'll see how long it lasts. I have a number phobia, regardless if it's points or pounds. I am just above a "decade" mark and cannot get below that mark. I feel it is partially psychological so I have put away my scale (remember, I used to weigh myself daily). I have asked my WW leader to not tell me what I weigh each week, unless I gain more than 1 pound. I want to know if I'm going the wrong direction. We will see how long this lasts.

The topic last week was Movement.

"While you are moving the body, you are removing the weight"

What does exercise give you? Energy, weight loss, feel better, stress relief, suppresses appetite.

What is the biggest excuse for not exercising? Lack of time.

What keeps you inactive or not exercising? TV, jobs, computer, driving, chores, too tired/lazy, kids.

How can you change those things to get you exercising? Have a TV where you work out. Take breaks at work at walk, use the stairs. Chores involve movement which helps.

If you are not exercising yet, GET MOVING!! If you are exercising, challenge yourself to do more.

"We must use time as a tool, not as a couch" John F. Kennedy

Wow Tracy. You sound just like me. I can't believe someone else is so concerned over "numbers" like me. I want to be a certain number whether I look skinny or not. It is a number thing on the scale and in my head. I think that I should weigh like the "stars". Wish I could lose that concept but I have been like that since I lost 70 lbs about 10 years ago. My family really worried about me then and I have asked my counselor for help regarding that when I get down to the "number" I have preset for myself. They have already talked to me about losing anymore. I still want that 15 pounds more. How can a person change??

winotracy said:
The topic last week was Movement.

"While you are moving the body, you are removing the weight"

What does exercise give you? Energy, weight loss, feel better, stress relief, suppresses appetite.

What is the biggest excuse for not exercising? Lack of time.

What keeps you inactive or not exercising? TV, jobs, computer, driving, chores, too tired/lazy, kids.

How can you change those things to get you exercising? Have a TV where you work out. Take breaks at work at walk, use the stairs. Chores involve movement which helps.

If you are not exercising yet, GET MOVING!! If you are exercising, challenge yourself to do more.

"We must use time as a tool, not as a couch" John F. Kennedy

Just what I needed to get me moving!!!

I am still plugging along. May actually start going back to WW although I hate paying out the funds and when I get home from work I just want to go home...not the oppisite (can't spell tonight) direction. They have class at work but you have to sign up for 10 weeks and it is a fixed time and day each week. My job does not allow for such inflexibility as many days I never get away from my desk, would feel guilty spending a whole hour sitting there for the lecture.

Cathy-I hope everything goes OK...if it is MS the MRI should detect it. Hopefully it isn't. Prayers to you.

Janene-congrats on the 25#! Wah!!! I want to lose 25 by August...I know EXERCISE!

Hey Ladies!! What are we doing so far down the page? I sure hope everyone is happy and healthy and busy with fun things.

Another pound lost so I am up to 14. I am so busy myself with work, baseball, swim lessons, etc. And of course counting the days until the cruise!

Hope every one has a great weekend!

Gabrielle

Ok, this week was a bad WW week, but I won't get into that. Here are the topic notes:

"The best measure of man's honesty isn't his tax return. It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clarke

A lot of us look at weigh in the way we look at filing taxes. Some do it early, maybe because it'll be good news, it's easy to do. The face weigh in with confidence. They have done the preparation, made a grocery list, etc. Others put it off until the last minute as if it is something painful. Maybe they cheated and are afraid of what the scale may say.

Approaching the scale with confidence takes three steps: Moderation, Variety and Balance.

Moderation: portion control, exercise, type of food
Variety: boredom, balanced diet, exercise
Balance: are you on program 24/7? NO, you can't be.

Here's a good analogy. If you have a bad meal or eating incident, do you figure all is lost and grab that pint of Ben & Jerry's or a pound of bonbons? If you answered yes, then answer this question: If your car skids onto the shoulder of the road, just a little bit, do you figure as long as I'm this far gone, we might was well drive off the road, into the ditch, across the field and hit that tree? Of course you wouldn't, so why do you feel you have to do it with food?

Moderation, Variety and Balance -- We all need it in our lives, all aspects of our lives, including eating.

Have a good week everyone!

Tracy

Tracy,

Thanks for the analogy. It has focused my mind for the rest of the week. I have to visit my nurse for my regular diabetes check and this was what I needed to kick me in the backside to make sure that Nursey will be pleased with me and not give me a rollocking.

Pam

Hi all!

I am back from HH.

I think I did pretty well diet-wise. I will find out on Wednesday.

We rented bikes and went for walks and stuff.

I was sick the whole trip, have been sick for 2-1/2 weeks now. I think I am finally getting over it.

I will start back on the TM tomorrow. I need to make sure my asthma is back in control and not coughing much.

The body finally kicked in!!! I am losing again. 13.5 # total as of yesterday!! Yahoo. Now I have to exercise...ugh! I really enjoy the Pilates DVD ...once I get started!

Great words of wisdon Tracy.

Pam!!! Please please please! I hope you don't call the Dudettes nursey. :rotfl2:

Wow Bonnie, that is so terrific. Soon you and I can share clothes!

I have lost track since I last reported but I believe I have lost somewhere around 3 pounds since then. Something like 48 gone and 12 more to go. Will I make it??

Bonnie: You are going to pass me up soon!

Sandy: You will lose those 12 pounds!

I didn't gain any weight on vacation! Now I can get back to losing!

jiminyC_fan said:
Wow Bonnie, that is so terrific. Soon you and I can share clothes!

I have lost track since I last reported but I believe I have lost somewhere around 3 pounds since then. Something like 48 gone and 12 more to go. Will I make it??

I will NEVER be in a size 8 jeans! I will be happy being a 14 again. Would be thrilled with a 12!

No Bonnie, these size 8 jeans had to be sized WRONG and that is why they were on clearance. Plus being the stretchable denim helps too!!

I am with you Bonnie. I will be happy to be back in a size 12. It has been a long time!

Well I lost .6 this week. Starting to go in the right direction.

I wanted to add something about the clothing sizes. Your exercise level will dictate your clothing size as well. I am using The Firm for exercise and my gazelle for cardio. The materials with the firm state "do you want to be a 135 size 12 or a 135 size 8". You can definitely be a smaller size, but weigh more when you exercise (muscle is heavier than fat).

I would just like to be 135!!!!! :teeth: I doubt that will ever happen in my lifetime. I was born at 160!! :guilty:

Glad that you have started down again Tracy!

Denine, you are doing an awesome job. I am happy with a size 12 but as Tracy put it before, it is a numbers thing with me. The number on the scale is what I strive for. That is what got me going in the first place. Weighing in like a linebacker just didn't make me happy!

Well I am offically down another pound for a total of 15 lost!

150 is my goal weight, so I have quite aways to go. I won't be there before the cruise but when I decided to loose some weight the cruise was big motivation, but certainly not all of the motivation. I hope to continue to loose weight in the coming year until it is all gone!

Kudos to all of you out there who are keepin at it, and loosing that weight, slowly but definitely surely! And I agree with Tracy, I really want to be toned as well as slim. Tracy I can tell by your picture on the other site that you are definitely toned. Your arms and shoulders look great in the dress you are wearing!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Gabrielle

With all my ailments, I won't be toned. I just do the best I can. Feet problems, back problems, neck problems, knee problems, arthritis problems, age problems. Poor me!! But at least I have the weight off and that makes me happy and proud. I will just be skinny, flabby and HAPPY!

Congrats Gabrielle on your weight loss. You are doing a fantastic job! Keep it up!

Well I got on the scale yesterday morning because Iknew ahead of time I would totally not diet yesterday...I was 15 # total loss. Then I pigged out!!!

Off site meeting where they fed us breakfast and lunch from The Corner Bakery. Then last night I volunteered for the National Adoption Center Celebrity Gala and Sports Auction...pigged out there too. I won't count the evening meal though as I was up by 3 AM exploding from both ends!! YUK! But the whole time I was thinking...hey! maybe what I ate won't stick!

Back on the diet today...I am determined.

Gabrielle your goal is the same as mine. I know I won't do 150 by the cruise either but I just want to be where I was in 2002.

Sandy-I'm with you on the aches and pains etc but I'm gonna give the exercise the old college try. Starting out with a massage today...one of my nurses is a massage therapist and I go to her. Then maybe I can get motivated with the muscles relaxed.

Well the post about the conference made me smile. I went to a nurses meeting at Hopkins yesterday. At lunch they limited us to 1/2 wrap sandwich. They also had chips (which I skipped) and salad which I loaded up on. There was fruit for snaking at break so all in all I managed to stay on the diet, but it was embarassing to hear my stomach growl during the lectures. :goodvibes

A 5K update. Since the weather has gotten nicer I have switched from the treadmill to the track, and HIT A WALL. It's not my heart or lungs giving out it's my ankles and the back of my thighs. At this point, I figure I'll run what I can and walk the rest. Thanks to the generosity of staff I may not be the fastest person, but I will have a very nice donation to the scholarship fund.

Dateline interviewed my boss last week, so Alicia's story is set to air during "sweeps week" . I'll keep you updated. Now I have to find a reason to keep running after May 1st. It sure won't be for the amount of weight lost (4 lbs since Jan) or the change in measurements (none for three weeks)

I am now buying a case of water at Costco and keeping it in the trunk of my car. That way if I forget when running out the door in the morning I'm still covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter