Shell Island???? VB or HH??

SnowWitch

DIS Veteran
Maybe I have the name wrong but isn't there any island where you can boat out and find nice sea shells? I know I read about it at either VB or HH but I can't remember which. If anyone has details that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is an island off FL coast caled Sanabella (sp) or something like that that is known for sea shells everywhere. My boss has a condo in Stuart,which is south of Vero, and he takes his son there. Maybe that's what your refering too,don't know of anything like that in HH.

Sanibel Island is over on the West Coast of Florida. Not impossible to get to from Vero/Stuart but actually closer to WDW.

Off Hilton Head there is Dufuskie Island. Last July we arranged a trip through Disney to go out there beach combing for shells. At the time, the island was starting to develop and our guide said he wasn't sure how much longer they were going to be able to offer the event. We were dropped off at low tide and had almost exclusive use of the beach. We picked up some shells but most of them were still alive so we had to toss them back.

Where is the best place to find shells? Do you need to be boated out? Do you pick them up in the sand or dive into the water?

We found some in Vero in the sand. Does Hilton Head have any?

Thanks Tigger

Having spent a lot of time on HH when I was growing up I am fairly sure there are not really good shelling spots on HH itself. I don't know about Dufuskie Island since when I was there it was not developed at all! However, I do know that to get there you would have to take a boat (no bridge to the mainland!)

You should never pick up shells by diving into the water (those shells probably have live creatures in them and that is a No-no!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter