shaving alternatives for women?

weluvdizne

Mouseketeer
Now that summer is finally upon us, it's shaving time. What alternatives to you use that are effective and don't break the bank? I've tried Nair in the past. The smell is horrible and worked spotty at best, so I had to shave anyway, irritating my skin. Would love to hear your opinions so I don't have to spend the summer and the bank account experimenting.

Thanks in advance.

Now that summer is finally upon us, it's shaving time. What alternatives to you use that are effective and don't break the bank? I've tried Nair in the past. The smell is horrible and worked spotty at best, so I had to shave anyway, irritating my skin. Would love to hear your opinions so I don't have to spend the summer and the bank account experimenting.

Thanks in advance.

My Dh just got a Braun Series 7 for free from Tryology through Expotv, it works even for me! And I too have sensitive skin, but it doesn't last as long to use an electric razor. One thing that works(with a disposable razor) is to use hair conditioner instead of shaving cream and right after you rinse off, BEFORE YOU DRY, put moisturizer on your legs, this helps prevent itching and chaffing(sp).
Good Luck it's tough with sensitive skin!!:hug:

Just curious which area are you shaving? If it is my arms or legs I just bite the bullet and shave. For the bikini area the only way to go i waxing. would NEVER shave there again!:banana::banana::banana::banana:

I use Sally Hansen Creme hair remover. It works like Nair does, only this one actually works. The only thing I found is that the packaging says it works in 2 minutes. Not so much but if you leave it on longer it does actually work. I have very sensitive skin and this did not cause a reaction of any kind. It costs just over $2 a bottle so it isn't expensive at all.

http://www.sallyhansen.com/learn_hair-removal-video.cfm?category=48

Do you have to start with not shaving for a few weeks or will it work a few days after a shave? To be more specific, does your leg hair have to be a certain length before it works?

Thanks.

I've been doing this forever so I can't remember. However, I just looked on the Braun website at the FAQs and found this:

blue1.gif
How long does the hair have to be for epilation?
Silk-epil can remove hair that is 0.5mm in length. This hairlength occurs after approx. 2 days of not shaving.

Usually I shave. I have gone to my esthetician and had "1/2 leg" waxings. The waxing does work and lasts about 5 weeks for me. But, you have to have someone who knows what they are doing and can minimize the "ouch" factor. Ankles are very sensitive--who knew?

This sounds crazy....but I use baby powder on dry legs (or any area) and shave. Trust me it works, and I have never got razer burn (including in the bikini area).

The first time I used it I was desperate. I forgot my shaving cream and was at WDW...I had heard it before so I figured what the heck I will try. It worked!

Have you considered waxing? The initial price would probably be pretty high, but the maintenance would bring that down a lot. It will get to the point that you only have to get your waxes scheduled every so often.

I started using Veet a few years ago b/c I kept cutting myself. I've not had a single allergic reaction to it either. It's great stuff and works well.

I have an epilady and love it...ok I dont love the pain but I love not shaving for about 3-4 weeks! It is much better than the older models...I have done it since like high school when they first came out (about 20 yrs ago) in the winter I wait about once every 3-4 weeks in the summer since I'm at the pool and beach a lot I do it about once a week...don't do it the day b4 your event because you will have little red dot and slight swelling because it pulls from the root...but I love it so it I dont have to shave a lot!

This sounds crazy....but I use baby powder on dry legs (or any area) and shave. Trust me it works, and I have never got razer burn (including in the bikini area).

The first time I used it I was desperate. I forgot my shaving cream and was at WDW...I had heard it before so I figured what the heck I will try. It worked!

So you do this DRY?! Do you wet your razor?

I've never heard of this before! Sounds interesting...

I can't use a razor or an epilator--both cause ingrown hairs for me. And that causes cysts, followed by surgery. *sigh* Waxing works, but my hair grows back quickly and you can't wax until the hair is about 1/4" long. Well, you can, but it isn't very effective!

For the past 8 or 10 years (possibly a bit longer), I've been using Serious Skin Care Liquid Laser from HSN. It's a cream depilatory--no laser involved! *LOL* And you also can purchase a cream (called "Post Laser") that helps soothe the skin and slows regrowth of hair--to a certain extent. They recommend testing it by leaving it on two minutes, removing a small amount to see if it has worked, then continue testing it every minute to a maximum of 8 minutes. For the most part, five minutes works well for me. More than six minutes and my skin is very irritated.

As I said, my hair grows very quickly, so I have to use it weekly--occasionally more frequently in the summer. In the winter it's closer to 10 days most of the time. I've talked to a couple of other women who use it, and after using it several months, they only needed to use it about every three weeks. I wish! *LOL*

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter