Sharing my MDE account with family...or do they need their own?

Surgie2

DIS Veteran
Family will be going to WDW in 2018. There are 3 separate families with a total of 10 people. So far I am the only one with MDE account so all 10 appear in my account and I have made resort reservations for all.

They prefer that I make all the ADRs and FP+ reservations when the time comes. If they choose to change a reservation, I am fine with them having my account login and PW to do that. But I want each family to be able to have their own credit card linked to their magic bands (although they would be just fine with mine LOL). Does this mean they will need to set up their own MDE (one per family)? And if they set up their own after I have reserved dining and FP, will all of those reservations transfer to their accounts?

I'm trying to keep this simple and flexible so we can help each other out. If we decide to get a 4th FP on a given day or a few people want to change an ADR I don't want to be the only one with access to do this.But if I want someone else in the group to make a change for me on my behalf, I want them to be able to. Thanks for advice!

For separate CC, they'll need their own MDE. But you can do reservations for people on other MDE accounts, so long as they're listed under your friends and family. I make reservations for my in-laws and mom all the time.

For separate CC, they'll need their own MDE. But you can do reservations for people on other MDE accounts, so long as they're listed under your friends and family.

So it looks like we should have 3 MDE accounts...one per family. Then should we all add each other to our family and friends list on all of our accounts if we want the flexibility I described?

So it looks like we should have 3 MDE accounts...one per family. Then should we all add each other to our family and friends list on all of our accounts if we want the flexibility I described?
Yup. Between my extended family there are 5 accounts (one per adult), and I manage all of my kids. I generally do any reservation that includes everyone, while my in-laws do their own FPs and my mom has her own CC. I have their passwords too, in case I need to fiddle with something.

A word to the wise, there was a post on here, not too long ago, from a woman who had given her MIL access to her MDE only to find out the MIL had cancelled and rearranged most of the dining reservations.

A word to the wise, there was a post on here, not too long ago, from a woman who had given her MIL access to her MDE only to find out the MIL had cancelled and rearranged most of the dining reservations.

Yikes!! I don't think that will be a problem with my husband or adult kids. Honestly they would pay me to figure all of this stuff out and be happy to just show up and enjoy! Luckily the planning part is my favorite so it all works out:)

Have things changed? We went to WDW two years ago. One Grand Villa hotel reservation, once MDE account, three families. I made all the dining plans and FP reservations. When we checked in we were able to have the front desk arrange it for everyone to have their own charging privileges on their own credit cards. We made sure to check the charges carefully, but it wasn't a problem at all.

Can anyone confirm or clarify? We are headed down again in April and had planned on doing the same thing.

For separate CC, they'll need their own MDE.

Only if this is something they want to do ahead of time.

Keep it simple. One MDE. Then at the front desk people can put their own ccs "on" their MBs if they wish to charge to the room.

There is no need for anyone to have their own MDE for cc purposes.

Tell each family to set up their own accounts...one per person in each family. When we traveled to WDW with another couple last month, they were listed in my family and friends, in my account. But...when it came time to make FPs for them? Nope, couldn't do it. There has to be a record of park passes in order to reserve FPs! So, each person should set up their own account. Then, once they do that, you can send each person an email, via your MDE, asking to be linked. You can retain all planning powers on your joint reservations.

There has to be a record of park passes in order to reserve FPs! So, each person should set up their own account.

In my case, I'll be purchasing all the park passes so they will all show in my MDE account.

Keep it simple. One MDE. Then at the front desk people can put their own ccs "on" their MBs if they wish to charge to the room.

If it's this easy, I would prefer to do it this way! That way the "kids" don't need to do anything until they arrive as far as linking their CC. They can all use my MDE account to change any FP or ADRs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter