Share your "small joys" of cruising!

It's the little unexpected surprises. Although now they're not really surprises anymore.

Getting on the ship finally, being greeted and immediately seeing Minnie or Mickey.

The hidden Mickeys

Relaxing on the pool deck, and seeing a character pass by. My favorite was the green soldiers on Fantasy.

All character interactions. The CMs do an amazing job of making each experience unique. I love especially when we visit a princess and DD is in her costume too.

When the cast members go out of their way to say "hi, princess" to DD in costume.

Pirate night is one of the rare times the fam will actually loosen up and dance a little.

Participating or watching the family game shows. DD especially is practically jumping out of her chair to get picked. Makes for entertaining memories for life.

Free Cove Cafe snacks, pastries during the day and olives/cheese/bread sticks at night. Last 2 cruises we were an all adult party, so we'd sit in the comfy chairs in the adult pool area at night after the show, snacking on the savory Cove Cafe snacks, french fries, and pizza.

While this is a "small joy", we do enjoy it so much that we're reluctant to sail the Triton class since they don't have the snack case.
I thought the Wish did have it in the back by the adult pool - the one in the main deck lobby area is gone on the Wish. Maybe I am wrong ?

I know this is totally a first world problem joy of cruising.....but my kids don't have to bed share. That in and of itself is the best thing about cruising for me. They had to share a bed at WL the night after the cruise, and it did not go well. I ended up switching spots with my older kid so that the younger one would stop tackling her all night long.

I like that I can truly relax and that there isn't a never ending list of things I have to do. The last few years working full time, graduate school and parenting... it's nice to be able to not worry about cooking dinner, cleaning up the house, enforcing bedtimes, papers, work emails or remembering to return phone calls. I can truly disconnect and my kiddo (DS 15) gets a chance to explore in a safe environment. He likes that he can have food on demand and that he can do what he wants (within reason). Last cruise I got a navigators verandah and I loved that I could watch the sun rise over the water each morning with a cup of coffee while reading a book.

I know this is totally a first world problem joy of cruising.....but my kids don't have to bed share. That in and of itself is the best thing about cruising for me. They had to share a bed at WL the night after the cruise, and it did not go well. I ended up switching spots with my older kid so that the younger one would stop tackling her all night long.
haha, I get this... I would add the split bathrooms as a small joy we truly appreciate on DCL!

Some of the things we love....(some apply to any cruise, some to just Disney)
Room service coffee and pastries on the verandah to start our day.
Sunrises and sunsets at sea
The artwork, memorabilia, and little touches discovered as we learn our way around the ship.
Randomly bumping into a character wandering around the ship.
Like others, the towel animals. I love opening the stateroom door in the evening to see what creation will greet us.
Being "announced" on board. Last month we cruised NCL, and for boarding it was just walk on, got directed down the promenade to another door to just walk in. Turns out, I kinda like a little fuss after spending all that money to take a cruise. ;)

My small stuff:

- The smell, as said by others.
- The chime that comes on before a ship announcement (it instantly makes me happy to hear it)
- The feeling of walking the pool deck on a sunny day, kids happy in the background, the smell of the pool, the movement of the ship, and the views out the side windows, combine for another little happy moment.
- Sitting on the verandah while my wife gets ready, watching the sea
- A quiet moment with my lovely wife, up top in the adult-only area, as we just watch the sea and are at peace.
- Breakfast oatmeal at Cabanas. I can't replicate it at home.
- Walking back into a pristine stateroom after a late night
- That night we were on the balcony before dinner, the Italian coast on one side, Sicily on the other, the sun setting while we took silly pictures with a selfie stick. We were so happy.
- When the whole family is in for the night, in our beds, with an old classic Disney movie on the tv. Even though everyone is adults now, there is no place where I feel so at peace as having everyone there, relaxing together, knowing everyone is safe and happy. It's a bit of heaven for me.

My DS is autistic and has a hard time making friends\being included in day to day life. On DCL? Those fellow teens at Vibe are amazing to him! Those moments of spotting him hanging out getting ice cream with a friend? Or them cheering for him when he won the Pixar challenge? Priceless - I literally have burst into tears at the kindness of these Disney teens. The fellow guests are a huge reason we have only done DCL so far (10th cruise this spring!)

Last edited:
Early morning time grabbing a coffee and walking around the deck before many are up.

Enjoying a drink on the balcony as we sail away, and the moment you feel & notice the ship moving.

Walking/running the loop on deck 4.

Getting to Cabanas when they open for breakfast, enjoying a bite at the tables on the stern, and then making plates up to take back to our sleeping kids.

Random character encounters in the hallway.

The pool deck when people leave for 1st seating dinner.

I have loved watching my kids expand their food palates over the years as we have sailed. They have developed a love for all types of cuisines, including escargot. Cruising made it easy for them to try out different foods and if they didn't like it they could easily get something else without having to pay extra.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter