Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneyland March 17 – Day 7 Complete in Hong Kong Proper; 12/04

Rainy Day Strategy #9 – On a Rainy Day, it’s Time for Disneytown

By this time of the day, both my DM and I were completely over the wet, wet and wet. I know we spent as much time indoors as possible but the rain really put a damper on our spirits.

We had arranged to meet Aussie Wendy and her DD for dinner and there was still a little time to go before our date; but we figured we might as well head on out and spend some time doing a little window shopping.

Rainy Day Strategy #9. On a rainy day, there’s always time to go shopping. Especially when Disneytown is right there.

You step into Disneytown the moment you leave the turnstiles at the exit near Tomorrowland.

We checked out some of the food options here. There were a few familiar chains.

I was keen to check out Spoonful of Sugar.

It’s not quite Marceline’s or Goofy’s Kitchen….but it contains all the basic essentials you’d expect for this sugar food group.

FairyFloss is a highly talented cookie maker. I’m hoping that she might make us a batch of either Mickey or Minnie cookies at some stage. No pressure.

Baymax seems to be popular in Shanghai.

We looked around a bit more but didn’t stay too much longer.

By this stage, it was time for us to go meet Wendy and her DD.

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited:
Rainy Day Strategy #10 – It’s Always worth Lingering over another Meal (Crystal Jade)

It started to drizzle again when we caught up with Wendy. It won’t come as any surprise that they also had enough of the rain as well. Low crowds are preferable but quite honestly, after 2 days of wetness, I would happily trade the rain for more bodies.

After a little discussion, we all decided that we wanted Chinese for dinner tonight.

Rainy Day Strategy #10. It’s always worth linger over a meal on a rainy day! Heck……it’s worth lingering over TWO meals on a rainy day.

Somehow, we missed the main entrance and foyer area. We entered through the door on the right and were shown to our seats.

If we had entered through the main entrance, we would have stepped into their reception area.

In any event, we were too busy working what to order to really care what entrance we came through.

Crystal Jade is a Singapore-based brand with one Michelin star and a couple of Michelin Bib Gourmand awards. There are over 100 restaurants spread across 25 major cities. For those in the US, you’ll find a Crystal Jade at the Embarcadero Centre, with views to the Ferry Building, in San Francisco. For those in Australia, we have yet to have the pleasure of a Crystal Jade.

I left the ordering to my mother and Aussie Wendy, with one request. I needed some Hot and Sour soup to thaw me out from the cold and from the sugar rush of Spoonful of Sugar. The soup was tasty enough but it did lack a bit of depth to the soup base.

The mixed vegetables with oyster sauce was decent. Aside from the vegetables, there was a selection of mushroom and fungi. I know fungi may not be to everyone’s taste buds; but it was for mine.

We also ordered a beans with a minced meat. I think it could have been a pork mince.

The dish was delicious. But it was the plate decoration that had us all oohing and aahing. It was very delicate and pretty and one of the chefs in the kitchen must have spent a lot of time practising how to make it look so good.

The dish that drew the most amount of commentary from the table?

We had all agreed that we wanted chicken. Given that we had dined together in Shanghai and shared ½ duck, we figured we would be better going for a whole chicken this time round.

Nope. You aren’t seeing things. The whole chicken……..WAS whole.

But aside from the value-added head and comb, it was the pinkness of the chicken that had 2.5 of us gasping. I suspect it was way too pink for Wendy and her DD. I was the half. It was barely acceptable for me…..and I do remember eating pink chicken in my youth.

My DM did her best to tell Wendy that that’s how chicken is cooked in Asia…..and I do remember eating pink chicken in my youth.
It wasn’t until I came home and unpacked my pictures before I realised how pink that chicken was. It looked a little different and more cooked under the tungsten lighting. If I had taken a proper look at the colour, I suspect that Wendy and I would have insisted it go back to the kitchen for another round of cooking.

We did stay in the warmth for as long as possible. But the park was still opened and we figured we needed to make the most of our time here. So, we rugged back up and headed on out.

(Continued in Next Post)

The Lights of Tron at Night

We used the Tomorrowland entrance to head back into the park. At this time of night, it was a straight walk-in after bag check.

If you’re wondering about the round orb on the left hand side, that’s the Jet Packs ride. It’s Shanghai’s version of Astro Orbitor.

We weren’t looking for any rides, but wanted to capture Tron at night. So, we headed over in this direction.

The lights make this area very pretty at night.

From this angle, you can see what a rush this ride is.

Check out where the vehicles have headed to. I think you can work out the tight corner and imagine the possible g-force as well.

And it goes fast!

I could have stayed here for a bit longer. I really liked the pretty colours.

And as much as we would have liked to go on, we figured we needed to head to the Gardens of Imagination area if we were going to get a position for Ignite the Night.

(Continued in Next Post)

Igniting the Nightmare (Wishing for a New Camera Body)

The theme for this day had been wet, wet and more wet. Whilst the rain had eventually let up a little in the late afternoon, it was still spitting when we left Crystal Jade.

My DM had decided that she was heading back to the room after dinner. She’s always been smarter than me. On hindsight, I think I should have followed her lead and head back to the room as well. Because…..when we were taking pictures of Tron at night, I found myself feeling rather cold.

Wet and cold did not make for a good combination. Still…..I had hoped to try for more pictures of Ignite the Dream so we headed on over to the Gardens of Imagination to grab a spot.

I guess everyone had the same idea because when we got there, the middle areas of Gardens (with a central view of the castle) were full of people and umbrellas. None of us were in the mood for crowds tonight. So, we headed on over to a part of the Gardens that we will just call Zanzibar’s view.

Zanzibar had told us about this spot on the Dumbo side of Gardens where the path widened up to a small landing/balcony. You’ll find pictures of what this view looks like in her Opening Day TR. If you get a spot right against the railing, it is an awesome spot to view Ignite the Dream from.

I thought I’d struck on a brilliant idea for how to take pictures of the show without a tripod pod.

I had hoped that there would be trash cans in this section. I figured that if there was a trash can, I’d be able to use it as a tripod replacement. It was all going to plan when I realised that there were 2 of them located right in the middle of this balcony section.

I gleefully pounced and started to set up. This was when Ignite the Dream became more of an Ignite the Nightmare for me. I’d forgotten to factor in the wet. The top of the trash can was wet and it was slippery. The camera and the green pod I was sitting it on just moved about too much. Plus, when I leant on the can to try and balance the camera, my jacket got soaked from the rain that had beaded along the side of the trash can.

Talk about a damp squib! I ditched that idea rather quickly and resorted to shooting this show hand held after that.

To make matters worse, I thought that my camera was having difficulties focussing on the castle.

Since coming home and looking at the shots, I definitely think that the focus is just a little off.

Sadly, it’s the first time I’ve felt that my beloved camera body needing replacing. Sure….I’ve wanted a new camera body before. But I’ve never felt that I’ve *needed* a new body until this moment. It was as if a light bulb had gone off in my head.

So….I’ve called this chapter Igniting the Nightmare. Not that it was a true nightmare but it was a nightmare of a feeling. The worst feeling in the world is that moment of realisation when you finally know that you’re ready for a new camera and being in the middle of one of the best photographic opportunities in the world!

It will be a moment that will remain frozen in my long-term memory.

It wasn’t all bad. I couldn’t do anything about the camera at this point but I could and did continue to shoot the show.

Afterall, we were right there…..in the middle of Ignite the Dream.

I really liked the castle projections.

And even if I would have preferred more fireworks, the ones that were included in the show enhanced the viewing experience.

It is definitely a show where the projections, lasers, fireworks and water fountains all come together.

As far as viewing the show was concerned, this spot is great if you don’t want to be surrounded by the crowds.

I don’t know what it would be like if there were a lot more people in the park. But I guess no where is good if there were tons of people in the park.

The only thing about this position is that if you want to be able to view the projections in detail, you may want to get a lot closer.

On this particular night, it was definitely a nice spot away from the madding crowds.

I just wished I had a new camera body!!!!!

(Continued in Next Post)

Last edited:

Rainy Day Strategy #11 - Head back to the Resort Early

After Ignite the Dream, we all opted to headed back to the resort. We did debate staying and looking in the shops but it was starting to spit a little heavier at this stage. And we were a little frozen.

Rainy Day Strategy #11 - Head back to the Resort Early!! Afterall, there is nothing like staying in a warm room to get out of the rain.

Yeah. We opted to head back to the resort and thaw out. Disney Transport was waiting for us, so it wasn’t long before we were back home.

I got back to the room and decided to try my luck at Concierge. We were within our 48-hour window for our flight out of Shanghai and I really wanted to have our boarding passes printed out. Concierge was very obliging. Lucy was super helpful and even asked if we wanted window or aisle seats.

I left feeling rather Joy-ful.

Since I was down at the lobby, I figured I might as well grab a few more shots. I hadn’t really gotten a standard shot of the musical Fab 5 statue.

And I realised that I hadn’t captured the musical details properly either. It was a good night to fill the gap in my collection.

I was also seeking details tonight.

I loved the Art Nouveau pieces.

The spring flowers looked pretty and I was tempted for another shot.

I didn't stay long in the lobby. It was definitely a night to get warm in the room and head to bed early.

I had looked for Hidden Mickeys the previous night. I missed spotting this one!

And as I headed back to the room, I also missed the ones in the hallway carpet the night before.

Guess I had been pretty unobservant till now!

It was definitely time for a hot shower and an early night! I went to bed hoping that the rain would stop.

princess::upsidedow

The plate at the restaurant was lovely, but I just couldn't do that chicken!

Those Tron pictures are amazing!

Your pictures with a wonky camera body are far superior to anything I could do with new!

Oh, that chicken did look pretty pink! Glad I decided not to join you for that one. The rest of the meal looked nice though, especially the beans with minced pork.

Nice shots of Tron and Tomorrowland at night. It really is a pretty area with all those lights.

So, we headed on over to a part of the Gardens that we will just call Zanzibar’s view.

Love it! You are welcome to name any part of a Disney park you like after me ;)

Glad you enjoyed my spot. You got some lovely photos from there despite the issues with the rain and your camera.

And for the record, it was a great spot for me with the crowds of Opening Day. Started filling up about 20 minutes prior to showtime, but there was far less pushing and shoving than I've encountered in other spots.

Nice lot of details around the hotel too. Definitely worth keeping your eyes open around there!

I was definitely getting very tired of the rain on that second afternoon. Still....when at Disney, you just have to make the most of it. Irrespective of what the weather is.

I know just what you mean. I had a day with @skierpete and his wife at Disneyland where we were caught in the rain. It was one of their last days and they had done most everything they wanted, so we ended up going from bar to bar, but still we were stuck walking in the rain. We got tired of it very quickly as well.

You step into Disneytown the moment you leave the turnstiles at the exit near Tomorrowland.

I remember hearing that at D23, seems nice that it's not far away.

We checked out some of the food options here. There were a few familiar chains.

Oy! Were there more western chains than that or was it the only one?

Rainy Day Strategy #10. It’s always worth linger over a meal on a rainy day! Heck……it’s worth lingering over TWO meals on a rainy day.

Heck ya! I would rather sit inside and eat than get soaked. Unfortunately you can only eat so much!

For those in the US, you’ll find a Crystal Jade at the Embarcadero Centre, with views to the Ferry Building, in San Francisco.

Well I'll remember that, but before that I want to go to the soup dumpling place in Costa Mesa, you know the name of it, but it escapes me now. It has Michelin stars as well. There is one in San Jose too, so maybe we'll do it with my parents.

I needed some Hot and Sour soup to thaw me out from the cold

Totally get that, but it doesn't look like any Hot and Sour soup I've ever had in the US or Canada.

The mixed vegetables with oyster sauce was decent. Aside from the vegetables, there was a selection of mushroom and fungi. I know fungi may not be to everyone’s taste buds; but it was for mine.

Looks good!

it was the pinkness of the chicken that had 2.5 of us gasping. I suspect it was way too pink for Wendy and her DD. I was the half. It was barely acceptable for me…..and I do remember eating pink chicken in my youth.

Yikes! Although the pinkness isn't cool, at least they included the beak so you know it really was chicken! :laughing:

Check out where the vehicles have headed to. I think you can work out the tight corner and imagine the possible g-force as well.

Actually I'm having a hard time seeing it even from the computer.

Talk about a damp squib! I ditched that idea rather quickly and resorted to shooting this show hand held after that.

Stupid rain. :headache:

The worst feeling in the world is that moment of realisation when you finally know that you’re ready for a new camera and being in the middle of one of the best photographic opportunities in the world!

Have you got one yet?

It is definitely a show where the projections, lasers, fireworks and water fountains all come together.

I think you did a good job capturing it all.

It was definitely time for a hot shower and an early night! I went to bed hoping that the rain would stop.

I'm hoping it stops too! Did you have a bathtub in your room? I don't remember.

The plate at the restaurant was lovely, but I just couldn't do that chicken!

I don't think I could do that chicken in my pictures either!!! :rotfl:

Those Tron pictures are amazing!

Thank you. :blush:

Your pictures with a wonky camera body are far superior to anything I could do with new!

It's all relative. I know I sound like I'm a whiny-brat about the pictures, but I guess.........wait! I am a whiny-brat!!!!! :rotfl2:

Yeah. It's all relative. But I sadly came home knowing my tog skills had finally outgrown the 7D body. I've had that camera since 2012 and it's practically attached to my hand. It was such a wretched feeling.

Oh, that chicken did look pretty pink! Glad I decided not to join you for that one. The rest of the meal looked nice though, especially the beans with minced pork.

You know you would have been more than welcomed to come join us!

Nice shots of Tron and Tomorrowland at night. It really is a pretty area with all those lights.

Thanks. Yes, that section is very pretty at night.

Love it! You are welcome to name any part of a Disney park you like after me ;)

Glad you enjoyed my spot. You got some lovely photos from there despite the issues with the rain and your camera.

:thumbsup2

That's officially your spot now.

Yeah. The camera had problems focussing that night. The pictures look fine....but I do pixel-peep up close and I know when I get way close in, it's not as sharp as it could be.
*sigh* The "joys" of learning to hone a craft!

And for the record, it was a great spot for me with the crowds of Opening Day. Started filling up about 20 minutes prior to showtime, but there was far less pushing and shoving than I've encountered in other spots.

Nice lot of details around the hotel too. Definitely worth keeping your eyes open around there!

I just kept seeing different things every time I was in that hotel lobby.

I know just what you mean. I had a day with @skierpete and his wife at Disneyland where we were caught in the rain. It was one of their last days and they had done most everything they wanted, so we ended up going from bar to bar, but still we were stuck walking in the rain. We got tired of it very quickly as well.

@skier_pete and his lovely wife visited DLR again? How awesome! (Aside from the rain, that is). Bet you guys had a great DisMeet!

I remember hearing that at D23, seems nice that it's not far away.

It's even closer than Downtown Disney at Anaheim!

Oy! Were there more western chains than that or was it the only one?

Wolfgang Puck and Cheesecake Factory and Starbucks. But they are a good fit for Shanghai Disneytown. There are a LOT of Asian restaurants there and it is nice to have the western options as well. Aside from Starbucks, we didn't really eat at WP or CF.

Heck ya! I would rather sit inside and eat than get soaked. Unfortunately you can only eat so much!

::yes::

Well I'll remember that, but before that I want to go to the soup dumpling place in Costa Mesa, you know the name of it, but it escapes me now. It has Michelin stars as well. There is one in San Jose too, so maybe we'll do it with my parents.

Din Tai Fung. Hope you get to the one in San Jose with your folks.

Totally get that, but it doesn't look like any Hot and Sour soup I've ever had in the US or Canada.

It's the Shanghai style of the Hot and Sour soup.

Yikes! Although the pinkness isn't cool, at least they included the beak so you know it really was chicken! :laughing:

:thumbsup2

Actually I'm having a hard time seeing it even from the computer.

Look for the blue ride vehicles. You can see it is in a different position from one picture to the other.

Have you got one yet?

::yes::

DH got me the 7D Mark II for my birthday. I couldn't decide between that or going to a 5DMark(whatever) or heading down the new Olympus Full Frame mirrorless system. I suspect he.....er......got tired of listening to my ramblings about new camera and just went out and got me the body. The other two options would have meant that I would need new lenses as well.

I think you did a good job capturing it all.

Thanks!

I'm hoping it stops too! Did you have a bathtub in your room? I don't remember.

The room does have a tub. But somehow.....having my mother as a room mate didn't exactly make me want to soak in the tub for a long time!

@skier_pete and his lovely wife visited DLR again? How awesome! (Aside from the rain, that is). Bet you guys had a great DisMeet!!

Hey there! I missed out on this TR - though have been following your pictures on Facebook! I'll join in, but since many pictures are now blocked at work, and I'm crazy busy both at home and at work I fall desparately behind on TRs.

Actually we met up with @franandaj twice last year. Once at Disneyland in Feb 2016 - in the rain as she pointed out - and that was great fun to catch up but less than fun being in the rain. Then we saw both her and Fran in Epcot in October 2016, at least for an hour or so while we did some Food and Wine tasting. It might be a while before we catch up with them again, but it's always a good time!

Speaking of catching up, looks like I'm 31 pages behind, so it'll be awhile before I catch up here!

Hey there! I missed out on this TR - though have been following your pictures on Facebook! I'll join in, but since many pictures are now blocked at work, and I'm crazy busy both at home and at work I fall desparately behind on TRs.

:wave:

Crazy at home and at work seems to be a universal disease right now. :(
Hope that you get some fun times in despite the craziness.

Actually we met up with @franandaj twice last year. Once at Disneyland in Feb 2016 - in the rain as she pointed out - and that was great fun to catch up but less than fun being in the rain. Then we saw both her and Fran in Epcot in October 2016, at least for an hour or so while we did some Food and Wine tasting. It might be a while before we catch up with them again, but it's always a good time!

I'm so envious. Wish I had a trip to the US in the works. Sadly, I don't think I'll be heading state-side for a couple of years.

Speaking of catching up, looks like I'm 31 pages behind, so it'll be awhile before I catch up here!

No worries, Pete. The good thing about the Dis is that TRs don't go anywhere once they are written.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter