• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shades of Green military hotel on WDW property

pixietwin

Mouseketeer
I searched but couldn't find any posts about Shades of Green. We are staying there in Feb. It's on Disney property and used to be owned by Disney but now it's completely controlled by the military. Since it's on the property, wondering if anybody has stayed there and how they liked it.

yeap. There last September for a week.

BEAUTIFUL grounds, smack in the middle of three golf courses.

We stayed in the 'old' section and got a very lovely 1st floor room pretty much between both pools. The quieter one is Mickey Mouse shaped and also has the hut tub and proximity to the Evergreen's Sports bar. The other pool looked to be busy whatever time of day we wandered about.

2 Qn beds, and a pull out couch(twin), with a divider separating the table and 4 chairs. small fridge and coffee maker. don't remember if there was a microwave or not. Had wild turkeys visit our lanai on more than one occasion.

The AAFES is small, but adequate. Evergreen's is typical (limited) pub food. Wings are good, as is the key Lime pie. Look at the ceiling. you will get a kick out of it. Did not eat at Mangino's (I loathe Italian food) but it has gotten mostly good reviews. The buffet..not so much. We, personally, were unimpressed with the breakfast selection, although the price was quite good. Mostly lukewarm to bad reviews of both lunch and all the different dinner ones. If you are staying using the R&R package, I understand it's a good deal.. IF you plan on eating at least one meal a day on site. Our usual routine was to hit the little cafe downstairs where the bus stop is and use them for continental fare til we got to the parks. they will also make you a picnic lunch with 24 hours notice.

The resort itself is nice.. one Giant Mickey statue in the reception are is about all the Magic you see, but for the price, I wasn't going to complain, you know?! Internet connections are available..in room as well as a couple of spots along the hallway leading to the ice cream parlor and ITT office.

My ONLY gripe, and to be honest it didn't ruin anything, we just altered our plans was the bus service. They basically run once per hour to each park. our first day was EMH at AK, and we expected to be able to hit the park as it opened, but no bus driver showed up..and it was over 45 minutes before we saw anything being done about it. They are NOT MWR employees, they are contracted out. so, from that moment on, we planned on using the Poly bus system/monorail to get where we needed to go. the DTD bus does not stop at the main drop off points like the rest of the resort buses do, but, that wasn't a huge issue, and it does run until late at night, and the driver will tell you when her last stop is.

It's a ten minute walk to Poly, maybe another 5-7 to TTC, you could even walk all the way to GF in about 25 minutes in case you had a spa appointment.

About the only thing you don't get as opposed to staying at a WDW resort is the ability to charge purchases and have them delivered to your room from the parks.

DH and I stayed there for our honeymoon. We loved it! The rooms were huge. We had a fridge, a couch, a table with 2 chairs, 2 queen beds, and a large bathroom. The grounds are huge and great to walk around. We had a great lady check us in. Her name was Regina. I would suggest buying your tickets there as the base's tickets at the ITT office seem a lot higher than those at Shades of Green. Plus, they are more helpful. They don't tell you this ahead of time but there is a $5 per day per car parking fee. Not bad compared to the parks we just weren't prepared for that. Honestly, you can't beat paying $89 or so for something that is on par with a deluxe resort.

Oh! another suggestion is to have your car as Magical Express doesn't run to SOG and the SOG bus only runs at certain times to certain places. It doesn't circulate all day as the Disney Resort buses do.

Have stayed at SOG 4 times and it is a great value. I personally do not need to have a piece of soap or towel in my room shaped like Mickey to have a good time. I just cannot justify paying that much more money for these little things. The rooms are the largest at Disney and are great. AAFES is nice and has just about everything you will want. Check there first for some of your gifts they are cheaper. Evergreens is nice and has take out for the pool. Not a fan of the main food course. The Italian place has ok food but the service is slowwwww. We had DD 5 with us and that just doesn't work for us. Never had a problem at check in or out. This last time I even sent package early from Cinderella and they had it waiting in the room for us. It was her dress and stuff with an invitation to BBB. I have always gotten the rooms or area I have requested. I personally have never had a problem with the bus service. It seems to me the people who complain want to have a bus available to them when ever they want and even the disney buses do not do that. I have aqlways likes that only SOG guests can ride the buses. Have fun.:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

When Disney owned it it was a deluxe resort and It still is in my opinion. We loved our stay there. The rooms were huge and nice and the service was great. We loved the breakfast it was very affordable and good. I would highly recommed staying there if you can:)

We took to calling SOG "Poly West" (although I'm not sure if it's west or east of the Poly). It's so close that we, like many, used the Poly Monorail. We also enjoyed walking to eat at Kona Cafe. We didn't use the busses as we prefer to drive, but some of our travelling party did, and they raved about them. They don't run "continuously" like the Disney busses, but they run on a schedule, and they really stuck to the schedule according to my SIL. So rather than showing up and sometimes waiting 5 minutes and sometimes waiting 30 minutes for a Disney bus, they showed up at the bus stop and knew how long their wait would be. They were able to time last minute restroom stops and gift shop stops if they had a bit of time before the next bus. They run about every half hour, IIRC, but that may depend on the season.

I've read some bad reviews of the buffet, but for us, for both breakfast and dinner, it really hit the spot. No, it wasn't gourmet, but the food was good, there was always pizza/chicken nuggets/kid food in addition to the nightly theme (BBQ, surf'n'turf, etc), and the prices couldn't be beat.

Enjoy your stay!

Thanks everybody for the replies...good to know that there is a charge for parking and to use the monorail as well as the SOG buses. Anything else I should know??? If anybody can think of anything that the rooms might not have, that you wish you had brought - just let me know. I'm just starting my research to plan our trip. Several of you said to have your car as it helps. We'll have my car, but hoped that we wouldn't need to drive to the 4 parks. Are you saying that I would need my car to travel inside WDW or just for leaving outside WDW (which would require my own transportation)

Just a few thoughts - there is that $5 or so parking charge, but then you don't pay the $11 park parking charge if you choose to drive to the parks. We preferred to drive, while my in-laws preferred to bus. They really swore by those busses though..

If the schedule said there would be a bus at Epcot at 5:15, it was there at 5:15. So whether you drive onsite or not is really a personal choice as to whether you prefer to have your own vehicle or if you don't mind the busses.

Also, if you plan on walking to the Poly, either to eat or to take the monorail, the number for SOG bell services is (please verify when you check in) 407-824-1401. That's who you call for Shady Shuttle service. Generally the "Shady Shuttle" (an extended golf cart) was available for us when we were on our way to MK early in the morning (one morning we shared with another family - and all the SOG guests who we ran into were so very kind and amicable).

Anyway, when we got off of the monorail at the Poly, we'd call that number, ask for the Shady Shuttle to pick us up, and by the time we got to the cross street, it was at the end of the drive waiting for us to cross the street from the Poly. It is a lovely, and not-too-long-walk, but at the end of a busy MK day, I was happy to tip the driver $5 to pick us up and save us about 1/2 the walk...

FYI although there is a $5 fee to park in the garage, if you are in the older section you can park in the open lot to the right for free. They charge ahead of time, but will refund you if you have not put your key into the slot at the garage. It is a teeny walk, but if if your room is in the old section, the lot is closer than coming through from the garage for sure.

We are annual passholders so we don't have to pay for parking, but it seemed like the Shades of Green buses would be a great alternative. They don't run as often as the resort buses, but you should be able to pick up a schedule when you check in.

We stayed there 2 years ago and we loved it! I think that the people who say there is no magic when you stay there would have no magic anyway! it is all in what you make it!! Yes the soap is not Mickey! umm that is pretty much it! The bus servive was not we had hoped for. We just walked to the Poly every day! It is a nice walk. We will be staying there again in March. Remember... it is all in what you make it!! Just enjoy!:)

I WISH we could stay there because it sounds great and it's so close to MK, but my husband is an honorably discharged veteran, and they only time they are allowed to book is during January and September. January is too cold for us.....(we live in TX) and September is hurricane season and too hot! So, we won't be staying there. :sad2:

Great info everyone -- TY! We are staying at SOG for the 1st time the last week in January and I think we will all be very pleased!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter