SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Hi! What a great thread! I just have a few questions...
1. what are ticket order forms? Do I need to do this before I go to SOG? Thought I could just go to the counter and buy them. Glad I saw that if I need to do something first!

You do not need to use this form. You can still buy your tickets at the ticket counter once you get there. This is just a new system Shades is offering where you can order them ahead of time and pick them up at registration. Then you don't have to wait in line to buy your tickets there.

2. I see that it is a 10-5 min. walk to Poly/ttc. Is this walk well marked and is it on a sidewalk or road? Will be walking with two kiddies in strollers so want to make sure it is a safe way to go!

It is about 10-15 minutes to the Poly, depending on how fast/slow you walk. A bit longer to the TTC. Both are mostly on a sidewalk or paved pathway. You just have to cross one road (at a crosswalk). But, please, be very careful crossing there. The cars move really fast and don't always yield to pedestrians. And, yes, it is pretty well marked. Just one spot that gets me. It's over as you approach the Poly. I always end up taking the wrong fork. But we always end up where we need to be. And if you do get "misplaced," there is always someone on the paths you can ask. You won't get lost.

3. Was thinking of requesting room near lobby to make it easier to get in/out to parks. Has anyone stayed there recently and would you recommend this area? More concerned about convenience to transportation than pool but also want a quiet area.

You can request a room close to the lobby. It makes for an easier walk at the end of a very long day on your feet. However, the resort is not as big as the Disney resorts, so no matter what room you get, it won't be too far. Of course, it may FEEL long at midnight after being on your feet since 8 a.m. :lmao: And the only places not quiet are those near the pools. And even those are only noisey during the afternoons. The entire resort is very quiet at night ... at least, that is what I have found.

Just be sure to slow your pace and have a great time! Don't try to put too much into each day. You will not be able to see everything in one trip anyway, so just pick your must do's, map it out, then just go with the flow. Especially in the summer with the heavy crowds. I have seen too many people try to do the parks "commando style" (and I use to be one of them) and missed a lot of the little things that make Disney Disney.

Anyone who has been recently and used the free wifi, can you tell me about it? Is the connection strong? Is it available at the pool? Is it an open network or is there a password tied to your reservation or something of that nature? I'm really glad SOG is offering free wifi now and hope they keep with it, it's a nice added bonus since we travel with a lot of wifi enabled devices.

Anyone who has been recently and used the free wifi, can you tell me about it? Is the connection strong? Is it available at the pool? Is it an open network or is there a password tied to your reservation or something of that nature? I'm really glad SOG is offering free wifi now and hope they keep with it, it's a nice added bonus since we travel with a lot of wifi enabled devices.

I would love to know this info too. I would like to use our computer this trip and, since I am somewhat computer illiterate, I need all the advice I can get. :lmao:

Since there are always a lot of questions and confusion around the 4-day tickets, I thought I would post the following. I cut and pasted it directly from the Disney World website. Hope it helps.

4-Day Military Promotional Offer Important Details

Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased now through September 27, 2012 at participating U.S. military sales outlets ONLY by Eligible Service Members (defined below) or their spouses (but not both), for themselves and other family members and friends, as provided herein. These Tickets may not be otherwise transferred, distributed or resold.

Participating military sales outlets will require that Eligible Service Members (or their spouses) present valid military identification to purchase Disney Military Promotional Tickets.

Eligible Service Members (or their spouses) who purchase Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to the Walt Disney World Resort for themselves and their family members and friends will be required to activate those Tickets at Walt Disney World theme park ticket windows, no later than September 30, 2012, in order for those Tickets to be used. Valid military identification will be required.

No more than twelve (12) Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets may be purchased, activated and/or used by any Eligible Service Member or spouse during the life of this promotion, and no Eligible Service Member or spouse may purchase, activate and/or use more than six (6) Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets during any single week of the promotion. One (1) of the Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets purchased on each occasion must be for use by the Eligible Service Member or spouse. This offer is for active or retired members of the U.S. military, including the National Guard, Reservists and the U.S. Coast Guard.

Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets for admission to the Walt Disney World Resort will not be valid unless and until activated (no later than September 30, 2012).

Each Disney Military Promotional Ticket must be used by the same person on any and all days. Disney Military Promotional Tickets may be used ONLY by the Eligible Service Members, spouses, other family members or friends for whom they are purchased. In addition, a valid military ID may be required for admission.

Disney Military Promotional Tickets (including any options) expire and may not be used after September 30, 2012. In addition, Disney 4-Day Military Promotional Tickets (including any options) for the Walt Disney World Resort may not be used on the following blockout dates: December 26 through 31, 2011 at all Parks and April 1, 2012 - April 12, 2012 and July 4, 2012 at Magic Kingdom Park.

Having just left Shades on Tuesday I can answer a few of the above questions..The pre order ticket forms are awesome.. However, We did not receive them through Email so I had to call and request them.. :confused3 They sent the form through Email and I filled it out with the tickets that I needed and my CC # (All but the last 4 numbers.) Once they confirmed what you want I then scanned it and attached it to to the Email with the last 4 #s. My tickets were waiting at the front desk.. (Don't forget to ask for them though.) We were walking to our room and noticed a HUGE line at 5:30 at night and I realized that I had forgotten them. I went back to the front desk and she grabbed them and gave them to us..:thumbsup2
The Wi Fi was actually better this time than in the past when I payed for it. When you try to connect to the internet, A pop up from Shades will appear and you just hit the connect button and are good to go. We never had any disconnect in the 9 days that we were there.. And I did connect through my I Phone by the pool so the connection was strong.
I saw the mugs at Luckys on the 3rd day and I believe they were $8.95.. The refills are $1.00. They also had a beer one that was cheaper. We did not get one because by the time I remembered them we were almost half way through our vacation and my husband had bought some bottles of soda from the store.. (About $2.00 a piece) The mugs would have been cheaper and you would have gotten a keepsake mug.::yes::

Hi! What a great thread! I just have a few questions...
1. what are ticket order forms? Do I need to do this before I go to SOG? Thought I could just go to the counter and buy them. Glad I saw that if I need to do something first!

2. I see that it is a 10-5 min. walk to Poly/ttc. Is this walk well marked and is it on a sidewalk or road? Will be walking with two kiddies in strollers so want to make sure it is a safe way to go!

3. Was thinking of requesting room near lobby to make it easier to get in/out to parks. Has anyone stayed there recently and would you recommend this area? More concerned about convenience to transportation than pool but also want a quiet area.

thank you so much for any info you can give me! Can't wait for our trip this summer!

We have requested a room close to the lobby more for being centrally located to everything in Shades.. (Starbucks at 6:a.m. down the hall is a wonderful thing rather that walking a long distance.):thumbsup2 2 years ago we stayed in a wonderful room on the 5th floor of the Palm wing but it took FOREVER to get anywhere when you had to go down the hall/elevator across the hotel and down a hall to get coffee and then carry it all the way back..(The Palm wing does have nicer rooms with the bigger bathrooms than the rooms that WE have stayed at in the Magnolia wing.)

Thank you for starting this new thread. We will be at Disney and staying at SOG in about 6 weeks.
I think there is one correction to the info page of this thread....post #1. The car rental agency is Alamo, unless it has been changed to Hertz within the last couple of weeks.
How are the restaurants at SOG? I have read that the full service restaurants are very slow.
How long does it take to walk from SOG to the monorail at the Polynesian?

Not a fan of the restaurants. I'm actually a little surprised that in all of the years of complaints about dining since the renovations, nothing seems to have improved. I hate to say it but the restaurants (and most of the restaurant service) is sort of terrible. Some of the buffets are okay. My DH liked Mexican night and I suppose the breakfast food quality is no better or worse than most Disney character breakfasts (without the characters, of course.) Over a few trips, we've found ways to get around the food. First, we bring lots of snacks. We stock up on nuts, bars, individual peanut butters, crackers, freeze-dried fruit and veggies, etc. Because I'm a little crazy and don't care for much of the food at Disney, I also bring our own bread and cheese in a cooler on the plane. Last trip, my IL's rented a car so we were able to have them pick up fresh organic milk and eggs and we made egg sandwiches using a glass bowl that we brought and the microwave in the laundry room. They were actually pretty delicious and an inexpensive way to have a good breakfast. Another way around the food that we often take advantage of is to take transportation back to the Polynesian and pick up some take out there before walking back to SOG.

We rarely use SOG buses, preferring to take a boat, monorail, or bus to the Poly and then walk back. During our last trip, it took us about 8 minutes or less to walk. (Depending upon whether 3-year-old DD wanted to walk or ride in the stroller.) I wouldn't rely on it, but you can also use the Shady Shuttle to take you the distance over SOG property. We had never used it but during our last trip, we left SOG on the first morning ready to walk to the Poly and there was a golf cart sitting there that offered us a lift. Another night, we were on a bus back to the Poly from Epcot one night when a member of our group became sick and started throwing up. I called the bellhop service and they actually went and got the golf cart out of storage for the night to come and pick us up. I always carry a few dollar bills with us now in case we end up up getting the shuttle to tip the driver.

Hope you have a great trip!

Robin19871,
If your little ones go to bed before 10 pm (official beginning of quiet hours at the pool), I would definitely request a non-pool view room. We stayed in Room 305 overlooking the Magnolia pool the last week of March and the noise from the kids at the pool was VERY loud from 8:30-10 pm. Other than that, Shades was amazing! First class staff and hotel grounds. We were SO impressed and can't wait to go back in a couple of years (or sooner if I have my way!)

We rarely use SOG buses, preferring to take a boat, monorail, or bus to the Poly and then walk back. During our last trip, it took us about 8 minutes or less to walk. (Depending upon whether 3-year-old DD wanted to walk or ride in the stroller.) I wouldn't rely on it, but you can also use the Shady Shuttle to take you the distance over SOG property. We had never used it but during our last trip, we left SOG on the first morning ready to walk to the Poly and there was a golf cart sitting there that offered us a lift. Another night, we were on a bus back to the Poly from Epcot one night when a member of our group became sick and started throwing up. I called the bellhop service and they actually went and got the golf cart out of storage for the night to come and pick us up. I always carry a few dollar bills with us now in case we end up up getting the shuttle to tip the driver.

Hope you have a great trip!
I'm not sure I understand this statement, so could you clarify what you mean?

The only way to get to Poly is to walk, from there you can get the monorail to MK, walk to TTC to take the Boat or Monorail to MK or take the monorail to Epcot.

However, the bus to TTC from shades is timely and easy. From TTC you can get anywhere (epcot or MK) . The buses to AK and HS are timely too, though only hourly.

However, I know we personally have walked one or two times, but generally speaking, there is no real advantage to the walk, unless everyone is in a major hurry (or you're trying to get to MK for an early ADR)

This is our first time at SOG so we will be total newbies to the transport and food aspects at the resort.
I appreciate all the info.
We have requested a room based on information on the SOG thread (old one). Do request typical get granted or is it just luck of the draw? We are renting two rooms and have also requested adjoining or at least nearby each other.
Are there tables or benches at the food window by the transport area at Sog? We might try the breakfast buffet a couple times but will most likely opt for quick and easy.
We are eligible for SOG based on DOD rank. Will we be able to use the store at SOG for food, disney, ect....items? What about beer, wine, and alcohol?
Is the spa at SOG worth the $$ ?

This is our first time at SOG so we will be total newbies to the transport and food aspects at the resort.
We have requested a room based on information on the SOG thread (old one). Do request typical get granted or is it just luck of the draw? We are renting two rooms and have also requested adjoining or at least nearby each other.
Are there tables or benches at the food window by the transport area at Sog? We might try the breakfast buffet a couple times but will most likely opt for quick and easy.
We are eligible for SOG based on DOD rank. Will we be able to use the store at SOG for food, disney, ect....items? What about beer, wine, and alcohol?

Can't tell you about the spa or alcohol, but as DoD, you should have no prbs shopping at the shoppette. As for your room request, they don't guarentee, but they do their very best. I have not always gotten the room I requested, but they put me as close as possible. And, yes, there are tables at the food window near the buses. And, from what I understand, the food is pretty good.

I'm not sure I understand this statement, so could you clarify what you mean?

The only way to get to Poly is to walk, from there you can get the monorail to MK, walk to TTC to take the Boat or Monorail to MK or take the monorail to Epcot.

However, the bus to TTC from shades is timely and easy. From TTC you can get anywhere (epcot or MK) . The buses to AK and HS are timely too, though only hourly.

However, I know we personally have walked one or two times, but generally speaking, there is no real advantage to the walk, unless everyone is in a major hurry (or you're trying to get to MK for an early ADR)

We take the Polynesian bus, Polynesian boat, or monorail to get around, for the most part when we stay at SOG. On our last trip, we stayed at MK for the parade one night, then took the Poly boat back so that we could watch the fireworks while we headed back for the night. Another night, we stayed late at Epcot and the monorail was mobbed, so we took an empty Poly bus and walked. When we visited MK for early breakfast reservations, we walked to the Poly and took the monorail. Our kids love the monorail and we love the coffee over at the Poly so we usually cut that way when we are going to MK. (Also, it's nice not having to fold our stroller and have DH stand with our jogger on a crowded bus.) The only time we used a SOG bus during our last visit was when we went to DD and on the way to HS and AK. (Park hopped from them and used other transport back to SOG.) I have no trouble with SOG shuttles, but timing things with a baby and toddler can be tough and waiting at TTC can be frustrating because there's no rope to control the line. It's more convenient to us to add a seven minute walk rather than transfer to different buses. I guess maybe we're in the minority in using this system.

Can't tell you about the spa or alcohol, but as DoD, you should have no prbs shopping at the shoppette. As for your room request, they don't guarentee, but they do their very best. I have not always gotten the room I requested, but they put me as close as possible. And, yes, there are tables at the food window near the buses. And, from what I understand, the food is pretty good.

I would think having a government ID would make purchasing anything in the shoppette trouble free. It is the people with no ID that would have a problem getting cigarettes and alcohol........and for as long as I have been aware, you had to have an ID for those items. Before the renovations, you even needed an ID for a bottle of water.

I have never had any complaints with the food from the express cafe by the bus stop. They have even done special breakfast requests without complaint. Food was always fresh.

Robin19871,
If your little ones go to bed before 10 pm (official beginning of quiet hours at the pool), I would definitely request a non-pool view room. We stayed in Room 305 overlooking the Magnolia pool the last week of March and the noise from the kids at the pool was VERY loud from 8:30-10 pm. Other than that, Shades was amazing! First class staff and hotel grounds. We were SO impressed and can't wait to go back in a couple of years (or sooner if I have my way!)

How Funny... We stayed in 205 last week.. You were right above us the week before. We were lucky that we were never bothered with pool noise.. (Those fireworks at 10 p.m. were a whole different story.)This was our 4th straight year at Shades for Spring Break and will be back next year however, We are only doing 4 days at Shades and a 4 day Disney Dream cruise.. Perfect mix..:thumbsup2

We have had luck every year with a room request..
Yes there are tables by the food window to eat. (However, we usually have eaten on the bus on the way if a bus is there.)
The breakfast buffet is very easy and inexpensive ($10.95) but we have just ordered food because we are not huge eaters.
You can use the store without ID..In the past 4 years this time is the first time that they have asked for an ID and they asked for a Military ID every time. (For alcohol and tobacco only)
I surpised my husband with a Swedish massage and Reflexology at the Magnolia Spa the first morning we were there and he said it was just O.K. (He said that I do a better job and of course they have a Japanese massage on base in Japan when he flies there and this 70 year old lady is the BEST.):confused3 So in his opinion, it was not worth it.

Jusero, You will have to let us know if they have expanded the store when you get back.. The people that worked there said that they were expanding "Any Day"and you could tell that there was construction.. :cool1:

Thank you for all the information.
We will be arriving on a Monday night, probably around 930pm. Are there any options for getting a quick meal that late night at the resort or possibly at the Poly. Is room service 24/7 at SOG?

capeseal:
they SO SO SO SO SO SO need to put in a roped queue at TTC for the SOG bus. 100% agree with you there.

Chris2597;
I've never used the magnolia spa but I understand it is run by the same people that run the GF spa. Take that for what it's worth. Not sure if it's still true.

We've always gotten our request for adjoining rooms.

There are tables at the quick serve counter at the bus area. It's very dark though, but it's cool on a hot afternoon. :)

Jusero, You will have to let us know if they have expanded the store when you get back.. The people that worked there said that they were expanding "Any Day"and you could tell that there was construction.. :cool1:

Will do! I am hoping to be able to post daily while we are there, since there is now free wifi. But, we will see if I am too pooped at the end of the day. :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter