• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

settle a debate for DH and me

I say Dis, as in discussion. Of course, I'm from the south and alot of people think I talk a little different anyway!:rolleyes1

Hmm..in the podcasts they pronounce it "Diz", like Diz-nee...
But ever since I started here for some reason I have said it "D-I-S", like actually saying out each letter, and I just can't get that way out of my head!

DIS, as an acronym for "Disney Information Station", should probably be pronounced Dis, not Diz. But then again, many other acronyms and abbreviations for such examples as LASER and Show Business, are pronounced as Lazer and Show Biz.

My DW and I have had a somewhat similar argument going on for some time now - I say tomato, she says tomato...

DIS, as an acronym for "Disney Information Station", should probably be pronounced Dis, not Diz. But then again, many other acronyms and abbreviations for such examples as LASER and Show Business, are pronounced as Lazer and Show Biz.

My DW and I have had a somewhat similar argument going on for some time now - I say tomato, she says tomato...
I say dis but I think it should be Diz.
Also does Dis really stand for "Disney Information Station".

DIS, as an acronym for "Disney Information Station", should probably be pronounced Dis, not Diz
... but the point is that it was named the Disney Information Station BECAUSE the acronym is the first part of the name "Disney." It's not like it was a happy accident.

It was someone or someones brainstorming, trying to get creative about it. I'll bet a box of Mickey bars that the name DISboards was dreamt up before they thought of what words those initials would stand for.

It started with DISney, not with Disney Information Station.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong ....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter