Service Tech in Port Canaveral/Orlando area to look at our hitch config

ivegotayen

Earning My Ears
Hi friends-

We made it from Texas to FL just fine and are happy to be here! We are currently staying at Jetty Park Campground in Port Canaveral. Then we scoot over to Marriott Harbour Lake for a few days of spacious living before hitting the Fort.

I noticed some porpoising in our rig when coming over that I'd like to see if we can reduce for the drive back. I'm no expert in hitches, and we are on vacation! So I'd like to find a good, experienced technician who might be able to help us dial in our hitch a little better to be sure we have a safe and smooth drive home.

Does anyone have any leads they can recommend?

We are pulling a Flagstaff 21FBRS with an Expedition using a Husky WDH. I think some more washers would help even things out.

Thanks in advance for any information!

I might be able to help remotely. I've towed a lot of things with various WDH hitches. Porpoising can be caused by several things. A couple are WDH related. Others, like bad shocks on the Expedition, aren't related.

First, does your TT and Expedition sit level when you are hitched?

Second, what type of Husky WDH do you have?

A: Is it a friction type:

1661796953504.png

Or B: Chain type:

1661797042393.png

j

Last edited:
I might be able to help remotely. I've towed a lot of things with various WDH hitches. Porpoising can be caused by several things. A couple are WDH related. Others, like bad shocks on the Expedition, aren't related.

First, does your TT and Expedition site level when you are hitched?

Second, what type of Husky WDH do you have?

A: Is it a friction type:

View attachment 698008

Or B: Chain type:

View attachment 698009

j
We've got the chain type. The Expedition is sagging in the rear. Drive axle weight is actually lower with WDH on than off. I am thinking it might need some more washers. We might need to go tighter by a chain link, although when we tried to hook it a link tighter, it was not really possible to attach the chain, unless we were to try and lift it with a jack or something.

Here's a picture of us setting out...

Attachments

• 302156708_10160372793826520_3591233638306533307_n.jpg
    302156708_10160372793826520_3591233638306533307_n.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 24
Your pic helps a lot.

I would shorten the chain links on the hook by 1 or 2 to start. Ideally, you want the Expedition and trailer to both sit level. "Shortening" the chain will make it harder to snap up the bracket. A "cheat" to make it easier is to put the tongue jack down on the trailer (with the trailer locked on the ball) and raise the front of the trailer up. The higher the trailer tongue (while locked on the ball) the easier the snap-ups are to get into place.

If removing links still doesn't get you level, you will need stronger spring bars. I doubt that is the issue. I looked up your Flagstaff and it is pretty light. Probably 5,000lbs loaded. That would give you around 500lb on the ball, so 500-750 spring bars is all you would need.

j

Your pic helps a lot.

I would shorten the chain links on the hook by 1 or 2 to start. Ideally, you want the Expedition and trailer to both sit level. "Shortening" the chain will make it harder to snap up the bracket. A "cheat" to make it easier is to put the tongue jack down on the trailer (with the trailer locked on the ball) and raise the front of the trailer up. The higher the trailer tongue (while locked on the ball) the easier the snap-ups are to get into place.

If removing links still doesn't get you level, you will need stronger spring bars. I doubt that is the issue. I looked up your Flagstaff and it is pretty light. Probably 5,000lbs loaded. That would give you around 500lb on the ball, so 500-750 spring bars is all you would need.

j
Thank you! Yes, that's exactly what someone else said in the Flagstaff FB group. I hadn't thought to drop the tongue jack to make it easier to move up a link. We'll give that a try when we move from Port Canaveral to Orlando. We'll look for a scale along the way to check to see what the numbers say.

The only thing we've added in terms of weight between this picture and now are groceries. Hopefully we can consume a lot of that this week. Better make some headway on the wine! 😎🍷

You might also adjust some of the items youre carrying in the trailer to shift weight around. (after the above adjustments, which is sound advice)
I always used the tongue jack to assist getting the chain take ups locked in.

You might also adjust some of the items youre carrying in the trailer to shift weight around. (after the above adjustments, which is sound advice)
I always used the tongue jack to assist getting the chain take ups locked in.
I did this on the short trip from the Orlando resort where we stayed over Labor Day to Fort Wilderness, and it made a big difference. Way less push-pull and hobby horsing. I think we might've had too little in the back.

I’ll do another weigh when we set out for the return trip to confirm.

And yes, I think airbags might help with the Expedition’s softer suspension, too.

Thanks, everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter