September Trip.... Thoughts/Opinions...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will they handle trick or treating for the MNSSHP???
That's a really good question. I'm going to guess that they might not have it. Or maybe they'll do something like everyone gets a prepackaged bag of candy when they arrive, and they'll skip the ToT part.

Alternately, I could see them possibly decreasing ticket sales so the park is less crowded, and then spacing out markers 6ft away. Don't know where you're from, but when I go to the grocery store, Target, etc., there are 6ft markers on the sidewalks outside the store to wait my turn to enter.

Honestly, I'm not sure if they'll have MNSSHP this year, or if they do, it will be very scaled back. Maybe they'll just decide it's not worth doing, since a lot of MNSSHP is based on "extra" things that are more likely to encourage virus spread like ToT, Character Meets, special fireworks, special parade, etc. If they're cutting out shows, parades, and fireworks on regular park days, it doesn't seem likely they'd do them at a party night unless they drastically reduced park capacity.

I've rebooked from May to September as well and will probably still go. It will depend on what experiences/attractions are not available. I'm torn though, because we are taking my 86 year old mom, who wants to go one more time very badly. If she weren't going, I would reschedule again, but there are no guarantees at her age that her health would remain good enough for her to wait. Then again, will I be putting her at greater risk if we do go in September? This is hard. :(

If she wants to go I would take her. My parents are 83 & 88. Both are physically active and very healthy. They refuse to isolate themselves or wear masks. They have friends that feel the same. They've been having dinner/card parties at various houses. It was driving me crazy until my mother pointed out that they refuse to spend the rest of their remaining years under "house arrest." They lived through wars, the depression and various other illnesses. Their attitude is if they get it and die then they've saved themselves being stuck in a nursing home at a later point in time. They're not going to live in fear. Once I understood where they were coming from I accepted their decision. The hard part is they don't want to accept mine to wear a mask and socially distance (DH is in a higher risk catetory).

Canadian here. Also have a trip booked for September (Labour Day week) booked last August. I have kept All Star Movies booked just in case but am not confident. I assume I'm going to have to postpone. It sucks as my tickets were "purchased" wirth Air Miles so they are completely non-refundable (I know I can use their value going forward but you can't book fast passes apparently when you do this and regardless I assume I'll have to pay more).

Even if the border is open and WDW is open, the virus numbers right now are concerning. If I would have to quarantine for 14 days (either on arrival or when I return) then it's a no go. If WDW doesn't have parades, fireworks, meet and greets (in some way) , then it's a no go.

I am keeping hopeful but I'm realistic it isn't going to happen.

If she wants to go I would take her. My parents are 83 & 88. Both are physically active and very healthy. They refuse to isolate themselves or wear masks. They have friends that feel the same. They've been having dinner/card parties at various houses. It was driving me crazy until my mother pointed out that they refuse to spend the rest of their remaining years under "house arrest." They lived through wars, the depression and various other illnesses. Their attitude is if they get it and die then they've saved themselves being stuck in a nursing home at a later point in time. They're not going to live in fear. Once I understood where they were coming from I accepted their decision. The hard part is they don't want to accept mine to wear a mask and socially distance (DH is in a higher risk catetory).

I do understand where they are coming from. That said, many people who get COVID do not die, even elderly people. But I have personally seen many COVID patients who lived at home independently prior to their illness end up being discharged to nursing homes.

The other day, I had 5 COVID patients, and only one of them could stand on his own (and by that, I mean he could stand with assistance and a walker; he couldn't actually go anywhere). One of my patients was early 60s and working in a nursing home when she contracted the disease; she ended up intubated for a couple of weeks. She was discharged as a patient to a nursing home, as she was unable to even sit up at the side of the bed unaided; she would literally fall over if you removed your arms from supporting her back. Another patient was in his 50s living at home with his wife and teen daughter. After his extended time on a ventilator, he was not only unable to roll over in bed by himself, but was requiring dialysis because of what COVID did to his kidneys.

I think we focus too much on the respiratory issues and whether someone lives or dies from the disease. But after my time on the front lines, I can tell you that my biggest fear is not dying from COVID but in being disabled or living the rest of my life with chronic complications of COVID. If your parents get COVID, there's a really good chance it will be their ticket to the nursing home they're trying to avoid.

That's a really good question. I'm going to guess that they might not have it. Or maybe they'll do something like everyone gets a prepackaged bag of candy when they arrive, and they'll skip the ToT part.

Alternately, I could see them possibly decreasing ticket sales so the park is less crowded, and then spacing out markers 6ft away. Don't know where you're from, but when I go to the grocery store, Target, etc., there are 6ft markers on the sidewalks outside the store to wait my turn to enter.

Honestly, I'm not sure if they'll have MNSSHP this year, or if they do, it will be very scaled back. Maybe they'll just decide it's not worth doing, since a lot of MNSSHP is based on "extra" things that are more likely to encourage virus spread like ToT, Character Meets, special fireworks, special parade, etc. If they're cutting out shows, parades, and fireworks on regular park days, it doesn't seem likely they'd do them at a party night unless they drastically reduced park capacity.

perhaps naive or its because I’ve mostly only been concerned with the overall trip itself... but we have a mnsshp for Labor Day, and I never considered the possibility of them canceling the event. Wonder if they did, whether they’d refund or try to have you go next yr (I hope not)? I agree that the trick or treating could be replaced by pre packed packages where you don’t have a bunch of fingers in a barrel. It’s already less visitors on party nights, for social distancing efforts. Not sure if they had already sold out, and if the number of paid guests exceeds what would have been the designated limited capacity - by then, phase 2 figure? But not sure they could/be willing to allow spaced apart viewing for special fireworks/parades to keep the parties viable. I saw in a video of Shanghai where they taped where you could stand, spaced apart, to watch character shows.

With the Universal opening 6/5 news, and even before, we guessed WDW would be open for our early Sept trip. Don’t think I seriously ever considered canceling. Think any limitations on attractions and shows would be the most difficult for me, over the masks in the heat or spacing procedures that will likely require extra patience. We don’t absolutely have to have experiences like table service/character dining. Used to mobile ordering meals. Hopefully the shows can be done with spaced seating.

Initially thought that it could more crowded than normal because of all of the postponed trips. Then thought that it would be less crowded, with how unpopular the masks and such would be. But I think with the restricted number of allowed guests - whether it’s 30%, 50% or whatever it will be, there’s going to be enough anxious guests willing to exceed that number.

as long as it’s open, I think we’d go in early Sept. And we’re actually thinking of booking our hotel for a long layover from Hawaii in mid Dec at DL today. We haven’t been to DL since 2012.

What my RN daughter says:

- Older people and those with underlying conditions are more likely to catch the virus.
- Of those who catch the virus, most will recover; however, recovery doesn't mean returning to 100% health. (Personally, my biggest fear is having my long-term health affected -- statistically, it's more likely.)
- If you eliminate nursing home deaths, deaths are equally spread across age groups -- and there's no predicting who will recover vs. who will die.
- Reopening society doesn't mean the virus is gone or that we are safe from the disease; rather, it means that IF you get sick, the hospital system can handle you in the ICU.

How will they handle trick or treating for the MNSSHP???
When I did MNSSHP last year, most (all?) of the barrels had staff members scooping the candy into people's bags. I would think Disney would do this again to avoid cross-contamination between guests.

we have our trip booked for the end of September. We have MNSSHP booked. We will cancel the Halloween party if there are no parades or fireworks. I think we have watched the afternoon parade in any park once so that isn't a factor and no fireworks would suck but it isn't a deal breaker. As long as the attractions are open I'll be okay. The one thing that would set my husband off would be if Savi's workshop isn't open. He wants that light saber. We're waiting to see what happens come August and make a final decision then.

Last edited:
I’m booked for mid/late sept at beac club and bay lake. Tell me all the awesome things about it. People have been telling me how crazy hot it is and it’s making 2nd guess my choice.
Also has anyone done the Halloween party at DL and MNSSHP? How do they compare? I did one at DL years ago and it was so fun.

I also have a trip planned for September. I will however cancel if mask wearing is a requirement. It will also be interesting to see how they handle the ticket situation. It is all a watch and see for me to determine to go or cancel.

I also have a trip planned for September. I will however cancel if mask wearing is a requirement. It will also be interesting to see how they handle the ticket situation. It is all a watch and see for me to determine to go or cancel.

We are booked, bounce back from last year, for the first two weeks of August. We had a HUGE discussion over the weekend as to what we want to do. The number one question, from our kids no less, was are we going to have to wear masks? I said I did not know, but most likely we would. They both responded in simultaneously they did not want to go if that was the case. They weren't even sure if they wanted to go if no fireworks, parades etc.

I'm really not sure what to do here either. I know they haven't even announced when they are opening, but I really want to see more of what is going to be in place when they DO open. The kid in me wants them to open and say that by August the mask restriction will be gone so we still go on the trip but I honestly don't see that happening. At this point, we have until June 30th to cancel with a full refund so we are waiting until the 3rd week of June to make a decision. This is really painful, lol.

I'm also worried, that if we do cancel this year, we won't make it next year due to the 50th anniversary. As much as I would LOVE to go for that, I'm imagining huge crowds and minimal discounts etc.

I keep hearing about that in the fall/winter that there will be a huge surge of covid and we will be in shutdown again.
Its been said that a second wave is possible in the Fall/Winter months, but it will be to a lesser degree. Not a "huge surge" and not another shutdown. I know some Governors like to threaten another closure as a means to scare people into following state guidelines, but I don't think a second wave is expected to be enough to warrant another shutdown like we've seen the last few months. By the time a second wave could possibly come through, there will be many people with antibodies/herd immunity.

That said, I think its still very likely masks and social distancing will still be a requirement come September. I live in upstate NY and just got word today that we will not be phased back into the office until September 15th, and we should plan to wear masks while in common areas of the office. Schools here are also bracing to have to do virtual classes come September, or at least making changes to allow for social distancing in the classroom. Since these things are being considered for September already, I can't imagine Disney World - a place where congregation occurs by nature - won't have measures still in place for this.

Its been said that a second wave is possible in the Fall/Winter months, but it will be to a lesser degree. Not a "huge surge" and not another shutdown. I know some Governors like to threaten another closure as a means to scare people into following state guidelines, but I don't think a second wave is expected to be enough to warrant another shutdown like we've seen the last few months. By the time a second wave could possibly come through, there will be many people with antibodies/herd immunity.

I sure hope you are right about that. I think what would make the second wave worse is that it would coincide with cold and flu season. There would be many many people with the flu or a cold and everyone would be panicked thinking its covid.

I had a whole lot of travel plans for 2020: no Disney, but plenty of other things that were premium experiences (pricey concert tickets). As soon as this all hit and we understood the severity, I made the decision that 2020 was going to be a wash travel wise. As did all of my friends and family. You wouldn’t catch me dead in a recently reopened Disney World.

Disappointing to have to give up things we’re looking forward to, but ultimately not a big deal. Those things will be there in 2021.

there won't be another shutdown. Don't listen to CNN, MSNBC and Fox News.

There's been quite a few data coming out showing there has been very little different between locked down and non locked down places

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2020-opinion-coronavirus-europe-lockdown-excess-deaths-recession/
EYK81eJXsAQdYnv

Do you honestly believe there is no statistical significance between 5 deaths per 100 thousand and 32 deaths per 100 thousand? And one group is states like south and north dakota and wyoming which is wide open country?
My brother had it in March and while he didn't die still has days of pleurisy pain and cough flare ups. You have no idea what will happen to you if you get it and survive it. Why are we in such a rush to expose ourselves? Why don't we have a national response to test, trace and isolate so we can contain this?

Since this is trending towards more medical/science discussion than theme park planning discussion, closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter